Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh horse hockey. Mr. Trump has been spending taxpayer money doing exactly what he lambasted Obama for - playing golf - and at 2.5 times the rate! He even did it in the middle of that precious 3 weeks between when we had our first community transmission and when he finally acknowledged we had a crisis with the coronavirus. And he has done so at the cost of the equivalent of 334 years of presidential salary.

There are golf courses in and around Washington DC he could go play at for a fraction of the cost to the taxpayer. And if your weekend outings cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to the American taxpayer, then you either should find another hobby of take responsibility for the cost. After all, he is a billionaire, no?

Finally, while many have a 40 hour, 5-day work week, I defy you to find any CEO or salaried person who only works those hours. If you find any, they will be a true rarity. Some jobs are done when the job needs doing - not on a clock. I would suggest the presidency is one of those jobs.

ETA: to be clear, I have no objection to a man relaxing. My objection is a) the hypocrisy of lambasting a predecessor and then doing the same thing at 2.5 times the rate, b) the cost of his hobby to the American taxpayer.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Oh horse hockey. Mr. Trump has been spending taxpayer money doing exactly what he lambasted Obama for - playing golf - and at 2.5 times the rate! He even did it in the middle of that precious 3 weeks between when we had our first community transmission and when he finally acknowledged we had a crisis with the coronavirus. And he has done so at the cost of the equivalent of 334 years of presidential salary.

There are golf courses in and around Washington DC he could go play at for a fraction of the cost to the taxpayer. And if your weekend outings cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to the American taxpayer, then you either should find another hobby of take responsibility for the cost. After all, he is a billionaire, no?

Finally, while many have a 40 hour, 5-day work week, I defy you to find any CEO or salaried person who only works those hours. If you find any, they will be a true rarity. Some jobs are done when the job needs doing - not on a clock. I would suggest the presidency is one of those jobs.

ETA: to be clear, I have no objection to a man relaxing. My objection is a) the hypocrisy of lambasting a predecessor and then doing the same thing at 2.5 times the rate, b) the cost of his hobby to the American taxpayer.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• I really don't CARE how rich people live - so long as they are not doing it on my nickle. Trump graciously gave up his pay - big deal. He is on track to soak the U.S. taxpayer for 400 years worth of presidential salary in the form of his golf excursions. On top of all of the ways he has used his office to enrich himself - I find him a despicable candidate for the office he holds.

And "X did it to" is not a justification for an unacceptable behavior. It's just more "whataboutism."
        Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-17-2020, 10:47 AM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Because he's a fellow Christian and Jesus commanded you to love him.
          Practice what you preach, preacher.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Pix, It's nothing for Trump to have sex with a stripper. It's nothing for Trump to sue at the drop of a hat. It's nothing for trump to fire nearly everyone that doesn't tell him what he wants to hear. And It's nothing for Trump to do a whole host of nasty, abusive things. And just like today, it was normal for the rich and powerful to abuse the poor and take their money and their livelihoods in Jesus day. And Jesus has a lot to say about it too - And the one thing Jesus NEVER said about the rich is that those sort of behaviors are 'no big deal'

Heaven help us all when the Christians are trying to tell people Donald Trump's excessive, abusive, lying behavior is 'no big deal'.

It's a big deal.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-17-2020, 11:11 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Practice what you preach, preacher.
              Actually, I do, Jim. I love you, which is why I'm being totally honest with you, in spite of your false accusations of dishonesty. I believe you are consumed with hatred, and it's my responsibility to warn you.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I really don't CARE how rich people live - so long as they are not doing it on my nickle. Trump graciously gave up his pay - big deal. He is on track to soak the U.S. taxpayer for 400 years worth of presidential salary in the form of his golf excursions. On top of all of the ways he has used his office to enrich himself - I find him a despicable candidate for the office he holds.

And "X did it to" is not a justification for an unacceptable behavior. It's just more "whataboutism."
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Pix, It's nothing for Trump to have sex with a stripper. It's nothing for Trump to sue at the drop of a hat. It's nothing for trump to fire nearly everyone that doesn't tell him what he wants to hear. And It's nothing for Trump to do a whole host of nasty, abusive things. And just like today, it was normal for the rich and powerful to abuse the poor and take their money and their livelihoods in Jesus day. And Jesus has a lot to say about it too - And the one thing Jesus NEVER said about the rich is that those sort of behaviors are 'no big deal'

Heaven help us all when the Christians are trying to tell people Donald Trump's excessive, abusive, lying behavior is 'no big deal'.

It's a big deal.
                  Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-17-2020, 11:33 AM.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Pix, It's nothing for Trump to have sex with a stripper. It;s nothing for Trump to sue at the drop of a hat. It's nothing for trump to fire nearly everyone that doesn't tell him what he wants to hear. And It's nothing for Trump to do a whole host of nasty things. And it is wrong to treat those things like they are ho-hum normal. The are NOT ho-hum normal.
                    It's nothing for Trump to

I could go on and on and on...but what's the point? It's all "normal."

Comment

• When the message is unpalatable...shoot the messenger...

Comment

Pix, It's nothing for Trump to have sex with a stripper. It's nothing for Trump to sue at the drop of a hat. It's nothing for trump to fire nearly everyone that doesn't tell him what he wants to hear. And It's nothing for Trump to do a whole host of nasty, abusive things. And just like today, it was normal for the rich and powerful to abuse the poor and take their money and their livelihoods in Jesus day. And Jesus has a lot to say about it too - And the one thing Jesus NEVER said about the rich is that those sort of behaviors are 'no big deal'

It's a big deal.
                        Would it be okay if I say that I condemn the things Trump has done in his personal life, but I support the things he has done as president? Is it all or nothing as far as you're concerned, or are we allowed to have a nuanced opinion? I wonder if you agree with every personal decision your employer has ever made, and if you take it upon yourself to condemn him in front of your fellow employees...
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It's nothing for Trump to

I could go on and on and on...but what's the point? It's all "normal."
                          I believe this style of argument is formally known as the Gish Gallop:

During a Gish gallop, a debater confronts an opponent with a rapid series of many specious arguments, half-truths, and misrepresentations in a short space of time, which makes it impossible for the opponent to refute all of them within the format of a formal debate. In practice, each point raised by the "Gish galloper" takes considerably more time to refute or fact-check than it did to state in the first place. The technique wastes an opponent's time and may cast doubt on the opponent's debating ability for an audience unfamiliar with the technique, especially if no independent fact-checking is involved or if the audience has limited knowledge of the topics.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

When the message is unpalatable...shoot the messenger...
                            If you did that first, you'd never know if the message was shootable or not!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              If you did that first, you'd never know if the message was shootable or not!
                              My suggestion: I'd cut the dosage on those meds in half...

Comment

When the message is unpalatable...shoot the messenger...
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment