Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy
    Germany: 83,149,300
    France: 67,076,000
    Italy: 60,238,522
    Spain: 47,100,396
    I would really like to see which source you were using that does not include Germany, France, Italy, and Spain in 'Western Europe'.

Thanks
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      In a similar vein, he also decided that his name had to be on all of the stimulus checks, something that is apparently unprecedented. He doesn't even have signing authority because the desire is for such payments to be nonpartisan.

This is such a blatant campaign move, it's unbelievable. I hope Americans are suitably outraged. I try to imagine the reaction from the right if Obama had done this for the 2009 stimulus and it is hard to imagine them NOT losing their minds...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
        "Western Europe" actually isn't. There's no such political entity. Which countries are in "Western Europe" depends on who you ask. The first few Google hits provide many very different options:

- Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Czechia, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain
        - Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom
        - Belgium, France, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, United Kingdom
        - Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom
        - Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican
        - Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovinia, Croatia, Denmark, Faeroe Islands, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Yugoslavia
        - Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Switzerland

So when you say "Spain and Italy is counted as part of Southern Europe, not Western Europe" you're only showing that you don't know that there is no standard definition of "Western Europe".
        392 million.
        Yes, I know how Europe is divided up. "Western Europe" isn't one of the divisions. You clearly don't know how to do a web search, or you'd have quickly found out that there is no consensus regarding what comprises "Western Europe". You didn't even notice that the list in your cited source is not the same as the ones from your web search. You're making yourself look worse than I could ever do.
        Not to mention that "south" and "west" overlap by about 50%..

Just sayin'....
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Says the person that acted as though his definition of Western Europe was the only one, than attacked me over it. So were you being ignorant or dishonest?
          No. I'll leave that to you. Sayonara.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            I would really like to see which source you were using that does not include Germany, France, Italy, and Spain in 'Western Europe'.

Thanks
            First google link...

https://www.worldometers.info/world-...pe-population/
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              MM, you are ignoring the simple fact that even if you take NY and NJ out of the equation, the rest of the country has 17% of the world's cases and 4% of the world's population. And that percentage is climbing...not shrinking.

The numbers don't support the claim that the "rest of the country looks pretty good overall."
              You already know the answer to this because Sparko explained it to you in another thread.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                No. I'll leave that to you. Sayonara.
                Run away, brave sir robin.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Good. The less money to that corrupt, incompetent organisation, the better. "Don't close the borders", they cried.
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    You already know the answer to this because Sparko explained it to you in another thread.
                    And his reasoning fails for the reasons I cited there.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                      On behalf of the readership, I am once again appalled by your contribution.
                      I would worry if you ever agreed with me.

Comment

Mad Maxine Waters claims that people will think the checks are fake because Trump's name is on them.

To be fair, people who vote Democrat really are that stupid.

Comment

• Maxine Waters is one of the more idiotic voices from the left. She's the left's equivalent of Devin Nunes.

Comment

Maxine Waters is one of the more idiotic typical voices from the left.
                            Fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              Fair enough

That is interesting. We usually talk about western Europe in terms of the cold war divides, which effectively includes Italy and Spain. But They are using a different definition - one more like Eastern US vs Western US. Though I still don't get why Spain would not be part of that.

I see - they've divided Europe into 4 quadrants, not just 2 divisions. Spain and Italy are in Southern Europe as they are reporting it.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-15-2020, 11:02 AM.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                Fair enough

That is interesting. We usually talk about western Europe in terms of the cold war divides, which effectively includes Italy and Spain. But They are using a different definition - one more like Eastern US vs Western US. Though I still don't get why Spain would not be part of that.

I see - they've divided Europe into 4 quadrants, not just 2 divisions. Spain and Italy are in Southern Europe as they are reporting it.
                                I never really thought of Spain or Italy as Western Europe mainly because they have a different Vibe than Germany or the U.K. do. In many ways, Spain reminded me very much of life in Southern California. The atmosphere and vibes seem similar.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment