Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bernie Sanders Is The Front-Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The one from Antioch and blessed by St. Attila? You'd first have to get by a rather ferocious and bloodthirsty lepus to get it [ATTACH=CONFIG]43088[/ATTACH]
    And learn to count to 5... 3
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      Bloomberg endorses Biden. Will Warren stay in to hamper Bernie?
      Depends on what sort of incentives the DNC offers her.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Bloomberg endorses Biden. Will Warren stay in to hamper Bernie?
        I don't think it will matter. From what I understand, though I'm nowhere near an expert on this subject, Tue was Bernie's best hope as far as pro-Bernie states go.

Comment

• There's a world of difference in "praising" a dictator to broker a peace treaty and "praising" a dictator because you support his system of government and are trying to implement parts of it here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            There's a world of difference in "praising" a dictator to broker a peace treaty and "praising" a dictator because you support his system of government and are trying to implement parts of it here.
            In both cases, they were focusing on specific areas of the dictator's governance. Sanders was praising Castro's economic upheaval whereas Trump was apparently praising Kim's human rights, erm record. Both are problematic regardless of motivation.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Bernie needs to stop blessing Castro.
              Or Rocket Man.

But the one demographic Bernie can't get is the Christians with access to private revelation from on High. Trump could count on that demographic.

Comment

Maybe if he spent $600,000...

You know one thing that none of the candidates seemed to do this election? Try to use the internet as a primary channel for marketing. Maybe the Russians wouldn't let them.
                I don't know; I saw a lot of Bloomberg ads online.

Comment

I guess you can't buy an election after all.
                  I honestly believe it might have worked for anyone else other than him. I thought he did surprisingly well considering the circumstances and how terribly he did during the debates. Had Klob or Butti spent that amount, I think they would have excelled. Bloom was apparently was just such a loathsome individual, not even his millions could wash that stink away.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    There was nothing clearly "joking" about the context when he described Kim Jong Un as a "great" leader who "loves his people".

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/polit...ple/index.html

Either it is wrong to praise a dictator, or it is more complicated. Note that the context I have provided was not specifically to his face. Sanders' comments were wrong on their face, but they were even qualified in a manner that Trump's comments were not.

Bait and switch. "fell in love" was an obvious joke, so now you pivot to a different example.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Bait and switch. "fell in love" was an obvious joke, so now you pivot to a different example.
                      "Joke"? Probably not. Another example of the rhetorical hyperbole that he regularly uses? Much more likely.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                        Or Rocket Man.

But the one demographic Bernie can't get is the Christians with access to private revelation from on High. Trump could count on that demographic.
                        Catholics?
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Doesn't seem like an obvious joke to me. Providing examples of similar statements in apparently serious contexts helps illuminate why I wouldn't think so.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            In both cases, they were focusing on specific areas of the dictator's governance. Sanders was praising Castro's economic upheaval whereas Trump was apparently praising Kim's human rights, erm record. Both are problematic regardless of motivation.
                            No, Trump was just being "nice" for diplomatic reasons. Bernie was praising Cuba because he actually likes Castro and his plans. Trump doesn't actually believe Kim is a humanitarian. It's just one of his tactics. If someone is willing to work with him, they get praised, if not, he trashes them. Not very Presidential, but nothing like Bernie actually LIKING what Castro has done to Cuba. He also praised other dictator controlled countries like Nicaragua and Venezuela. He thinks standing in line for food is "a good thing"

Comment

• The Wall Street Journal is saying that Elizabeth "Pocahontas" Warren has announced that she's dropping out.

Comment

No, Trump was just being "nice" for diplomatic reasons. Bernie was praising Cuba because he actually likes Castro and his plans. Trump doesn't actually believe Kim is a humanitarian. It's just one of his tactics. If someone is willing to work with him, they get praised, if not, he trashes them. Not very Presidential, but nothing like Bernie actually LIKING what Castro has done to Cuba. He also praised other dictator controlled countries like Nicaragua and Venezuela. He thinks standing in line for food is "a good thing"
                                Trump, the wannabe dictator, praises all the dictators, from Putin to the leaders of Hungary, Phillipines, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, etc. And Sanders praises particular social policies, not dictators and he has made that clear.

Comment