Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The De-Ukrainification of the National Security Council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Your post is so full of bull it's not worth dissecting. I mean ---- it's like you're trying to play the part of an ultra-loony leftist to make them look bad.
    I noticed that you seem to have lost any kind of substance to your arguments lately, CP. I mean it's just ad hominum attack after ad hominum attack. Is everything okay with you?

Comment

My dear misguided liberal friend, I really don't want you to get in trouble, so let me try one more time to give you guidance on "argument by weblink".

Debates (points for your position) made via weblink are not allowed. Weblinks may be used when a substantive summary of the point being made is posted on the board with a link given for further information regarding your position. Remember responsive arguments are to be as personal as possible, not "cut and paste" dueling articles. This can be avoided by giving one's personal analysis along with an article, or just quoting the specifically relevant portions and showing relevance.

You can't just post a link that says "podcast by Joe Blitzenberger". You really need to give some indication of what it's about, or what it's intended to prove...

The exception, of course, would be when somebody challenges you to provide a link (often by asking "linky?"), then it's appropriate to provide just the link, without comment.
      Good morning CP. Thank you for your guidance in this important matter.

Comment

Comment

Straight from the horses mouth.
          http://www.newsweek.com/im-holocaust...ok-over-876965

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Good morning CP. Thank you for your guidance in this important matter.
            You're quite welcome, friend -- I don't want those mean vicious moderators chewing you up and spitting you out.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              This, ff, would be an example of argument by weblink -- however, there's some context because it's in response to another post, and you at least have a general idea of what it might be about.

I might add that it's EXTREMELY RARE for JimL to actually add links, so, he deserves a pat on the back for that.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This, ff, would be an example of argument by weblink -- however, there's some context because it's in response to another post, and you at least have a general idea of what it might be about.

I might add that it's EXTREMELY RARE for JimL to actually add links, so, he deserves a pat on the back for that.
                I think the title says it all: I'm a holocaust survivor- Trump's America looks like Germany before Nazis took over. It even placed consecutive images of the Buchenwald memorial and the tiki torch parade of Anglo Saxon manhood; the child recently liberated and the Army chaplain holding a service from the forties.

It opens with the comments about the rise of the alt right and Trump's ambiguous role, decries appeasement to fascism last century, and juxtaposes Piotrkow and New York City as a center of resistance (piotrkow was a center of resistance and commie agitation against fascists, piotrkow holds the dubious distinction of the first Jewish ghetto); interviews a NY architect who is familiar with Trump and his business acumen (Trump the builder and the architect who actually builds things), it describes the active communist resistance and their role in saving lives, and notes the propaganda war going on for the heart and soul of the recounting of history.

The Newsweek writer, Shane Croucher, is a darn good writer.

And I noticed that JimL, often derided as a lamebrain, managed to find the article and actually place it into the context of the discussion. The post JimL responded to has the uncomfortable question: Have you noticed that Trump is popular with neonazis and prolifers alike, as well as a point about domestic enemies.

I suppose I should castigate JimL for his failure to really make a pointed post, and link to Sinclair Lewis' book It can't happen here. Given that shortcoming, his post only gets a B grade.

Comment

Have you ever cited a non-biased source?

Comment

Odd. This article was not talking much about Trump. However, the rest of the content was an interesting look into history.

Comment

his corrupt republican Senate, and his ignorant constituency, not to do anything about it.
                      Jim is channeling Hillary Clinton before she has not officially died.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
                        Have you ever cited a non-biased source?
                        Probably not, because I often cite liberal sources. What would you recommend is a "non-biased" source?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                          I think the title says it all: I'm a holocaust survivor- Trump's America looks like Germany before Nazis took over.

Here's how it appeared on my screen:

2020-02-09_17-29-17.jpg

You can't see the title without clicking on it - which is why there's a rule about argument by weblink. I DID, however, clearly state this could be an exception due to the fact that it's in response to a question.

This is an example of why, sometimes, you're just looking to pick a fight -- I was giving some friendly advice to ff, with whom I get along just fine.

Comment

Here's how it appeared on my screen:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42655[/ATTACH]

You can't see the title without clicking on it - which is why there's a rule about argument by weblink. I DID, however, clearly state this could be an exception due to the fact that it's in response to a question.

This is an example of why, sometimes, you're just looking to pick a fight -- I was giving some friendly advice to ff, with whom I get along just fine.
                            You could see enough of the title to recognize the ff was possibly going Godwin. I wonder if he is aware of the inferences supplied by the title of this thread!

His post had four tidy little points:

domestic enemies
                            Weimar Germany
                            It can't happen here
                            populism
                            Trumps unwavering support from two constituencies: neonazis and prolifers. <= now that's provocative.

Oops, that was five. My bad.

The incongruity of the last item in ff's post is so over the top that I didn't know whether to punch him in the nose (or the internet equivalent) or bust a gut laughing. The idea of neonazis, who want a radical transformation of society based on evil, and pro lifers, who want to deter an evil in society, finding common ground within the populist movement which propelled Trump into office and signaled a radical break within the conservative movement.

The article sang the praises of the communist capos within the camp system, (capos were the inmates who had some privilege, and were often from the criminal class) The Nazi regime was built on criminality as a political tool and fiercely anticommunist, and the heroes in the story were communists!

Sometimes less is more. Any commentary would not have done it justice. I wonder if JimL read ff's post and linked to the first article he found, or if he was being purposefully provocative. I doubt that JimL is inadvertent wit.

Comment

You could see enough of the title to recognize the ff was possibly going Godwin. I wonder if he is aware of the inferences supplied by the title of this thread!
                              Nevertheless, it's just good practice to introduce the topic, because... them's the rules!

His post had four tidy little points:

domestic enemies
                              Weimar Germany
                              It can't happen here
                              populism
                              Trumps unwavering support from two constituencies: neonazis and prolifers. <= now that's provocative.

Oops, that was five. My bad.

The incongruity of the last item in ff's post is so over the top that I didn't know whether to punch him in the nose (or the internet equivalent) or bust a gut laughing. The idea of neonazis, who want a radical transformation of society based on evil, and pro lifers, who want to deter an evil in society, finding common ground within the populist movement which propelled Trump into office and signaled a radical break within the conservative movement.

The article sang the praises of the communist capos within the camp system, (capos were the inmates who had some privilege, and were often from the criminal class) The Nazi regime was built on criminality as a political tool and fiercely anticommunist, and the heroes in the story were communists!

Sometimes less is more. Any commentary would not have done it justice. I wonder if JimL read ff's post and linked to the first article he found, or if he was being purposefully provocative. I doubt that JimL is inadvertent wit.
                              ff is my friend - he gets away with murder.

Comment

So you disagree with Vindman that a strong Ukrain is in America's interests, because it is on the frontline against Russian expansion and aggression?
                                I'll disagree with it. Eastern Europe is the EU's concern, not the US. They're all big boys over there and they can take care of themselves.

Comment