Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Isn�t Impeached Until the House Tells the Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    And how many democrat senators, who have previously made statements of being for Trumps removal, are going to recuse themselves?
    I don't know, probably none. Does one sin deserve another?

Comment

And how many democrat senators, who have previously made statements of being for Trumps removal, are going to recuse themselves?
      The same number of those Democrat Congressmen (like Mad Max[ine] Waters who was calling for impeachment before Trump was president) who recused themselves.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        Odd question from someone who almost certainly does not believe in sin. Or are you just trying to be manipulative?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Odd question from someone who almost certainly does not believe in sin. Or are you just trying to be manipulative?
          I know you don't like my question but calling it manipulative is totally off base. Anyone and everyone is allowed to judge whether others are living up to their own stated code of ethics. I *know* it's hard being a Christian in the modern world. I don't have an answer for how you can navigate today's challenges while holding yourself to an impossible ethical standard.

Comment

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I know you don't like my question but calling it manipulative is totally off base. Anyone and everyone is allowed to judge whether others are living up to their own stated code of ethics. I *know* it's hard being a Christian in the modern world. I don't have an answer for how you can navigate today's challenges while holding yourself to an impossible ethical standard.
              It is manipulative, do democrats need to recluse themselves too?
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It is manipulative, do democrats need to recluse themselves too?
                "Recluse", I like that ;).

The issue is whether it is sinful to swear an oath to God that you know to be false. If that's not taking the Lord's name in vain then I don't know what is. It is possible that some of the Democrats would be lying by swearing that oath, especially if they directly coordinated with the prosecution. Don't you think that is wrong and un-Christlike? Don't you think it would be similarly wrong for *anyone* to do so?

I truly don't see how this is manipulative. I'm holding up your moral code and asking how someone's behavior doesn't violate it. I know it feels unfair since I'm not bound by that code but so what? And I even think it would by wrong, by my own moral code, to swear that oath knowing it was false!
                Last edited by DivineOb; 01-04-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

"Recluse", I like that ;).

The issue is whether it is sinful to swear an oath to God that you know to be false. If that's not taking the Lord's name in vain then I don't know what is. It is possible that some of the Democrats would be lying by swearing that oath, especially if they directly coordinated with the prosecution. Don't you think that is wrong and un-Christlike? Don't you think it would be similarly wrong for *anyone* to do so?

I truly don't see how this is manipulative. I'm holding up your moral code and asking how someone's behavior doesn't violate it. I know it feels unfair since I'm not bound by that code but so what? And I even think it would by wrong, by my own moral code, to swear that oath knowing it was false!
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• I truly don't see how an honest reading what I wrote gives you that impression. Here is what I said

"It is possible that some of the Democrats would be lying by swearing that oath, especially if they directly coordinated with the prosecution. Don't you think that is wrong and un-Christlike?"

Let's grant that the Democrats are hypocrites. Does that mean it is ok for (certain) Republicans to swear a false oath? It's even one of the commandments!

Comment

The issue is whether it is sinful to swear an oath to God that you know to be false. If that's not taking the Lord's name in vain then I don't know what is.
                      You're right, you don't know what it means to take the Lord's name in vain.

But I also reject your premise that it would be a false oath for reasons I've already explained.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        You're right, you don't know what it means to take the Lord's name in vain.
                        Ok.

But I also reject your premise that it would be a false oath for reasons I've already explained.
                        Let me make sure I have this right. Because some senators have prejudged the impeachment case to be without merit it is not a lie for them to swear they will evaluate the evidence without prejudging it. Do I have that correct?

Comment

The house does not that take oath, only the senate.
                          Finally! Something about impeachment of which I was not aware! No wonder they could be such snakes.

Do you believe Jesus gives wiggle room to bend the truth if it's for politics? He doesn't seem like an "ends justify the means" kind of guy. I don't care if Warren gets swept up in this because she was convinced by the publicly available evidence. If she falls below the standard then she's also doing the wrong thing.
                          Warren? Ya lost me.

It means without prejudice I think.
                          Find me one man or woman on the planet who is totally without prejudice.

Perhaps senators on both sides intend to falsely swear an oath to God. As a Christian doesn't that strike you as sinful?
                          Politicians ... sinful.... I'm not shocked in the least that politicians are sinful.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Let me make sure I have this right. Because some senators have prejudged the impeachment case to be without merit it is not a lie for them to swear they will evaluate the evidence without prejudging it. Do I have that correct?
                            No, that is not correct. We know what the Democrat case is. The House made a spectacle of it, and the articles of impeachment are now a matter of public record. McConnell et al are not prejudging the case, they are judging the case as presented by the Democrat party.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              The same number of those Democrat Congressmen (like Mad Max[ine] Waters who was calling for impeachment before Trump was president) who recused themselves.
                              That's why this phony obsession by the left rings so blatantly hollow.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Finally! Something about impeachment of which I was not aware! No wonder they could be such snakes.
                                Come 'ere you :hugz:

Warren? Ya lost me.
                                She was the first prominent Democrat to come out for impeachment after the Mueller report came out (it was within 48 hours I think). She's probably the best example on the Democratic side of someone you could claim was entering the trial with prejudice based on public statements. At least the best example I'm aware of.

Find me one man or woman on the planet who is totally without prejudice.
                                Fair point. That's the oath the Senate adopted in 1868.

Politicians ... sinful.... I'm not shocked in the least that politicians are sinful.
                                I think our disconnect might be here. Can you give me a quick explanation of why you aren't up in arms when you see politicians claiming to be Christians but who sin in public? Is it just a lesser of two evils thing? Is it because since both they and us expect them to bend the truth or even lie that it's not really dishonest? I've never understood this.

Comment