Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Isn�t Impeached Until the House Tells the Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    in all things appertaining to the trial of [in this case, Donald J. Trump] now pending, I will do impartial
    Sure, I would have no problem with swearing that oath knowing full well that the Democrats don't have a case and that the only correct course of action is to dismiss all charges. Regardless of where Republicans stand on the issue, impartiality demands that this thing be booted back to the House for clean up, especially with the Democrats openly admitting that they don't have enough evidence to convince a jury. The proper place for fact gathering is the House. The proper place for judging those facts is the Senate. That's how this works, per the Constitution.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Sure, I would have no problem with swearing that oath knowing full well that the Democrats don't have a case and that the only correct course of action is to dismiss all charges.
      Ok :). But could you do that knowing you had worked directly with the defendant prior to taking the oath?

Comment

Ok :). But could you do that knowing you had worked directly with the defendant prior to taking the oath?
        If you're asking would I collude with the defense to suppress a compelling case by the prosecution, no, I would not, but that does not describe present happenings in Washington.

Comment

If you're asking would I collude with the defense to suppress a compelling case by the prosecution, no, I would not, but that does not describe present happenings in Washington.
          Oh, yes it does describe exactly that. Do you not understand the words that are coming out of Moscow Mitch's mouth!

Comment

Sure, I would have no problem with swearing that oath knowing full well that the Democrats don't have a case and that the only correct course of action is to dismiss all charges. Regardless of where Republicans stand on the issue, impartiality demands that this thing be booted back to the House for clean up, especially with the Democrats openly admitting that they don't have enough evidence to convince a jury. The proper place for fact gathering is the House. The proper place for judging those facts is the Senate. That's how this works, per the Constitution.
            Had you been interviewed to participate on an actual jury, you'd be tossed out on your rear.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              Had you been interviewed to participate on an actual jury, you'd be tossed out on your rear.
              You're right, I probably would be tossed out of a jury pool but only because lawyer's try to find the most ignorant and gullible people they can to hear a case.

You, on the other hand, would have an easy time being selected.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                A normal case doesn't include a president who has the power to block and delay, if they did the prosecutor would take a solid case like this to trial even without a smoking gun and with a normol unbiased jury would most likely convict. In this case the prosecutor, the House is depending on the good judgement of the American people.
                Er, that's a great reason to appeal for certiorari and a lousy one to proceed with impeachment.

I'm beginning to think the Senate is going to dismiss, possibly tomorrow. That would send it back to the House where it belongs while the investigation is ongoing.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Er, that's a great reason to appeal for certiorari and a lousy one to proceed with impeachment.

I'm beginning to think the Senate is going to dismiss, possibly tomorrow. That would send it back to the House where it belongs while the investigation is ongoing.
                  That could take years before an impeachment vote at which point it would be to late. Now he has been impeached, conviction is now in the hands of the corrupt republican led Senate.

Comment

in total coordination

Comment

in total coordination
                      Again, the idea that the Senate must necessarily begin proceedings as if they are wholly ignorant of how weak the Democrat case is against the President is absurd.

Comment

in total coordination
                        Were you this unhappy when the Demomcrats conducted their impeachment sham in total coordination with THEIR leaders?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Were you this unhappy when the Demomcrats conducted their impeachment sham in total coordination with THEIR leaders?
                          If they had sworn a similar oath I would call them out on their dishonesty, yes. Not exactly related but as an example I was highly critical of Clinton in 2016 for various reasons (yes, even including how she handled her emails). I am a firm believer in oversight and checks and balances. I hate how easily that oversight can be used to play (dishonest) politics but that's like the first amendment -- you have to take the bad to ensure you don't lose the good.

Comment

Again, the idea that the Senate must necessarily begin proceedings as if they are wholly ignorant of how weak the Democrat case is against the President is absurd.
                            Can you give me a 'yes, it would be dishonest' or 'no, it would not be dishonest'? A verse about specks and planks starts to come to mind...

Comment

Can you give me a 'yes, it would be dishonest' or 'no, it would not be dishonest'? A verse about specks and planks starts to come to mind...
                              Ah, I see, so you don't want a nuanced answer, you want a simplistic yes or no that can be construed however you wish.

Comment

If they had sworn a similar oath I would call them out on their dishonesty, yes. Not exactly related but as an example I was highly critical of Clinton in 2016 for various reasons (yes, even including how she handled her emails). I am a firm believer in oversight and checks and balances. I hate how easily that oversight can be used to play (dishonest) politics but that's like the first amendment -- you have to take the bad to ensure you don't lose the good.
                                OK, so let's go back to basics --- what is it you believe the Republicans will be violating regarding an oath. And is it the oath of office they took when they were installed in the Senate, or some oath as they prepare for whatever? Let's go back to the beginning.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment