Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Obama campaign was fined for failing to report 48-hour notices for ~1500 campaign donations in the final weeks of the campaign, a civil violation.

Parnas and Fruman are criminally accused of laundering money from Russian-connected oligarchs into Republican campaigns. Parnas reportedly received $1 million from Dimitry Firtash, $500,000 of which apparently went to the President's "working for free" attorney, Rudy Giuliani.

Michael Cohen plead to felony campaign finance violations, occurring before and during Trump's term, that Cohen and SDNY say were directed by Trump himself.

One of these things is not like the others.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      The Obama campaign was fined for failing to report 48-hour notices for ~1500 campaign donations in the final weeks of the campaign, a civil violation.

Parnas and Fruman are criminally accused of laundering money from Russian-connected oligarchs into Republican campaigns. Parnas reportedly received $1 million from Dimitry Firtash, $500,000 of which apparently went to the President's "working for free" attorney, Rudy Giuliani.

Michael Cohen plead to felony campaign finance violations, occurring before and during Trump's term, that Cohen and SDNY say were directed by Trump himself.

One of these things is not like the others.

--Sam
      Nobody said it was criminal but nevertheless it was one of the biggest fines ever handed out for campaign violations so it was hardly some minor thing as you try so hard to present it as.

As for Cohen, he willingly pled guilty to whatever Mueller told him to in order to receive leniency. Too bad that there was no evidence (something that the left increasingly disparages) to support it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I dont think I've ever worked on a political campaign that didn't get fined at least a little bit by our local PDC (state FEC) for being late with forms.

With donations coming in more or less constantly if you're doing your job right its very easy to get the report done, another donation comes in, you have to update your reports, but the staffer or volunteer handling that step makes a mistake or misses something and then you get fined, or not, depending on how egregious it is, how consistently good you are. The FEC is less forgiving, heh, but its a bit easier than the PDC because of some very stupid things we're trying to fix locally.

By way of analogy, what Obama's campaign did was a bunch of parking tickets. Wrong, sure, but not generally thought of as malicious because its something that happens to everyone. Obama having bigger fines is simple to understand because Obamas race was, at the time, the most expensive one ever ran.

What the Trump campaign did, foreign contributions, laundered money, etc etc is so egregious as to compare the pain from a hangnail to that of a hand grenade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joke View Post
          What the Trump campaign did, foreign contributions, laundered money, etc etc
          And the evidence for this...?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Right, and posting pictures of Trump supporters in mid-wave doesn't mean anything, either. (It's always amusing when someone gets my point without actually getting it. )

And then you link to a video of a Neo Nazi giving a speech to a roomful of "alt right" nuts, and this is supposed to prove... what, exactly?
            Thats not mid wave! Her arm is rigid, her fingers pointed. It's a sieg heil. I've seen them around Portland at conservative events off and on. Those "alt right nuts" all love your guy. They adore Trump. What he does makes the nazi lovers in America happy.

But instead of repudiating the literal nazis that are in Trumps camp (I've met them IRL) you guys prefer to find a bunch of photos of democrats freeze framed during speeches and its still not a proper sieg heil.

Pathetic, each and every one of you.

Comment

Its been presented to you, over and over again, to no avail

Comment

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                  Thats not mid wave! Her arm is rigid, her fingers pointed. It's a sieg heil. I've seen them around Portland at conservative events off and on. Those "alt right nuts" all love your guy. They adore Trump. What he does makes the nazi lovers in America happy.

But instead of repudiating the literal nazis that are in Trumps camp (I've met them IRL) you guys prefer to find a bunch of photos of democrats freeze framed during speeches and its still not a proper sieg heil.

The guilty by association fallacy is so funny!
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Nobody said it was criminal but nevertheless it was one of the biggest fines ever handed out for campaign violations so it was hardly some minor thing as you try so hard to present it as.

As for Cohen, he willingly pled guilty to whatever Mueller told him to in order to receive leniency. Too bad that there was no evidence (something that the left increasingly disparages) to support it.
                    The Obama campaign had also raised one of the biggest, if not the biggest, campaign funds of all time. As the above article and other contemporaneous articles pointed out, the fine was in line with previous fines when considered as a percentage.

I don't want to keep pointing out how you're just ignorantly rattling off false claims but Mueller didn't charge Cohen; the campaign finance violations were referred to SDNY. Cohen released a tape of his discussions with Trump regarding the McDougal payment, we've seen the checks Trump was cutting for the Daniels payoff well into his presidency, various National Enquirer executives received immunity to cooperate with the investigation, and a judge approved the charges for sentencing.

This is a good example of how extreme negative partisanship creates cult-like delusional behavior just as readily as normal extreme partisanship.

--Sam
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Her arm is rigid, her fingers pointed. It's a sieg heil.
                      Like this?

13754155_10208987663182662_6260321713894238158_n.jpg

sieg+heil.jpg

CoQektUVIAAJeRi.jpg

628x471.jpg

And for reference, here's the genuine article:

hitler-salutes-his-supporters.jpg

I guess this is undeniable proof that Democrats are Nazis.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41872[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41873[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41874[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41876[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41875[/ATTACH]

Hillary and Warren are dead ringers

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41872[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41873[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41874[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41876[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41875[/ATTACH]

Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-05-2020, 06:39 PM.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            Hillary and Warren are dead ringers
                            Is this crap REALLY what the Trump clones are reduced to

Comment

• I mean, I've been blocking people this time once they start saying more gross stuff than you hear at one of those "free speech" rallies

Comment

• What is your explanation for why hate crimes and antisemitic attacks are up?

Comment