Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    No, Sam, "cast out" is not the same as voluntarily leaving, even with good reason. Let's dial down the drama, eh?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And he was anything but "cast out" rather he stormed off on his own accord being a staunch opponent of Trump's and a leader of those Republicans in Congress who opposed Trump even before Trump was elected.
      But ya gotta admit, "cast out" is much more dramatic (and inventive) than simply "he left the party".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Amash left the party on July 4 of 2019. Quite a bit different than Reagan or Trump.

Again, he's a useful indicator for who here even cares to feign rational and honest engagement anymore.

--Sam
        If you say so

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Even your own source calls his Republican bona fides into question.

"From his earliest days in Washington, Mr. Amash has been a marginal figure, consistently voting against both political parties..."
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            But ya gotta admit, "cast out" is much more dramatic (and inventive) than simply "he left the party".
            It's typical of how Sam um, "tweaks" the truth lately.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Source: MarketWatch

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/81...why-2018-04-16

© Copyright Original Source

And look at how much the economy has grown in that short time and how much income for the average family has also grown. And yet, in spite of that, fewer and fewer people pay income taxes.

So much for the idea that this somehow must imply that "nearly half the nation lives in poverty."

Comment

Funny how you left out how he had been attacking Trump for the past few years.

IOW, he ran off after getting a taste of what he was dishing out for quite some time.

Comment

It's typical of how Sam um, "tweaks" the truth lately.
                  But he's got a LONG way to go before he can hold a candle to Tass. Tass is MUCH better with superfluous adverbs and adjectives to flavor his 'tweaking'.

Comment

Same answer. Taxing our way to prosperity is a pipe dream.
                    Lol, that's not the same answer MM. But if you don't think you can continue the conversation I'm not gonna force you

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      I'm just doubting that 43+% pay no income tax unless a good bit if that number is rich people jumping through loop holes. If it is true, it would be a strong indication that the middle class is dying very quickly in this country.
                      The middle class is dying in this country

Wealth concentration has exceeded the level from the gilded age. It's not good.

Comment

Source: MarketWatch

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/81...why-2018-04-16

© Copyright Original Source

This focus on federal income taxes to the exclusion of all other taxes makes your rhetoric come off as fundamentally dishonest. There are more taxes than that. Stop cherry picking numbers. Use overall tax burden or you're misleading people.

Comment

Funny how you left out how he had been attacking Trump for the past few years.

IOW, he ran off after getting a taste of what he was dishing out for quite some time.
                          <sighs deeply>

That's the point. Amash hewed to the fiscal and social conservative principles that he ran on in 2010 -- the same ones aped here for many years before they became burdensome rather than a useful weapon -- and so denounced Trump. Amash refused to give those principles up and was chased out of the party for it.

Like Juvanel said a month or so ago: y'all are the ones who changed. Amash stands as a testament to just how bogus the party's and movement's rhetoric was.

--Sam
                          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Indeed,

Justin Amash is the only conservative in Congress with a spine.

I disagree with him on like 90% of his policy issues, but I can respect the guy in a way I just can't with a bunch of bootlickers

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                              The middle class is dying in this country
                              Doing alright from my perspective, smack dab in the middle of it.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Doing alright from my perspective, smack dab in the middle of it.
                                Your experience is not universal, unfortunately

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ing-2019-04-12

Comment