Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Yes. It is what the Senate is charged with doing
    How DARE you agree with me agreeing with Sam, you... you.... you.... CAD!!!!

impartially
    Yeah, McConnel and Graham are just a lot more honest about it. The Democrats did everything in an incredibly partisan fashion while fooling not-so-bright followers into believing they were acting "according to the Constitution and laws". Remember Nancy fooling people into thinking that they weren't going to impeach unless there was overwhelming support from the American people, and bipartisan support in the House?

The Democrats actually manage to dupe their believers into defending their sheer hypocrisy! Good job, Tass.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      No, he said he could not say he did NOT commit a crime. And he said any remedy for what the evidence implied was the job of the congress to implent.

There is a massive difference between what he said and what you are trying to imply.

You need to consider the sum of what he said, not just parts of it,
      What we know is that the evidence wasn't sufficient for Mueller to confidently declare that the President committed a crime. Then he tried to weasel out of it with his "can not exonerate" nonsense which flips our entire legal system on its head by implying that a defendant is guilty until proven innocent. In fact, as soon as he said, "This investigation does not conclude that the President committed a crime," and the Department of Justice affirmed that conclusion, it was game over.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        What we know is that the evidence wasn't sufficient for Mueller to confidently declare that the President committed a crime. Then he tried to weasel out of it with his "can not exonerate" nonsense which flips our entire legal system on its head by implying that a defendant is guilty until proven innocent. In fact, as soon as he said, "This investigation does not conclude that the President committed a crime," and the Department of Justice affirmed that conclusion, it was game over.
        We know that muellar was not allowed to declare he thought the president had committed a crime. Given that, the rest should be obvious, that there is evidence of obstruction and cooperation with Russian attempts to help him get elected. And that he was trying to urge congress to act on that since he was not allowed to per the policy not to indict a sitting president.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

We know that muellar was not allowed to declare he thought the president had committed a crime.
          False.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            False.

Former special counsel Robert Mueller could have declared whether President Trump broke the law if Mueller had wanted — albeit still without the ability to bring any indictment, Attorney General William Barr says in a new TV interview.

In other words, Barr is saying Mueller could have said that he believed Trump should be charged — if he thought so — without the ability to actually ask a grand jury for an indictment.

"The opinion says you cannot indict a president while he is in office. But he could've reached a decision as to whether it was criminal activity. But he had his reasons for not doing it, which he explained," Barr said.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/30/72834...ot-charged-him
            That's Barr's personal view not the law. Muellers personal view is that if he can not indict Trump then it wouldn't be fair to charge him with a crime. That is what impeachment is for, thats what impeachment means, to charge with a crime, to indict, to send it to trial. Congress is the justice system for a sitting president, the House the grand jury, the senate, the judge and jury. Special prosecutor doesn't actually prosecute, he investigates. So, that Mueller could have charged Trump with a crime, doesn't mean that he should have charged him with a crime, and in his own opinion, he shouldn't have, it was not his place to either charge or exonerate.

Comment

• The precedent for this is Ken Starr who stated unequivocally that Bill Clinton broke the law. There was nothing to stop Mueller from the doing the same, if he really believed he had a case.

To make matters worse, Mueller is a baldfaced hypocrite, claiming that he didn't want to say that the President was guilty of a crime because of "reasons", but then he included the "can not exonerate" disclaimer which deliberately implies, "Yeah, he's totally guilty."

What a stand-up guy.

Comment

We know that muellar was not allowed to declare he thought the president had committed a crime.
                Cite, please.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Cite, please.
                  Mueller Report, Volume II: Page 1

Source:

Firstsee Second

© Copyright Original Source

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Mueller Report, Volume II: Page 1

Source:

Firstsee Second

© Copyright Original Source

Well, that's very noble and thoughtful of you to try to help Jim, but how bout posting something that actually addresses the question.

I'll bold the relevant part...

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Cite, please.

Comment

Well, that's very noble and thoughtful of you to try to help Jim, but how bout posting something that actually addresses the question.

I'll bold the relevant part...
                      If Mueller was bound by the OLC memo, as he said he was in the report and during testimony, he was not allowed to make a formal determination that Trump committed a crime.

Since the Mueller report details at least four instances of obstruction that meet the prosecutorial criteria for criminal obstruction of justice and since Mueller heavily leaned toward impeachment as the legal remedy available -- and since SDNY had already labeled Trump as an unindicted co-conspirator in a felony campaign finance violation, the question of whether Mueller himself personally thinks Trump committed criminal violations is academic. What he wrote and what he referred to SDNY include likely criminal violations by Trump.

--Sam
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

If Mueller was bound by the OLC memo, as he said he was in the report and during testimony, he was not allowed to make a formal determination that Trump committed a crime....
                        Sam, I honestly don't know sometimes whether you're just being a knowed-up jackwagon, or you simply can't....

Here, again .... "not allowed to declare he thought the president had committed a crime".

That is an opinion, not a formal declaration. He is allowed to state an opinion. This is still a free country. And if you have a problem with the wording "he THOUGHT", talk to Ox.

Comment

Sam, I honestly don't know sometimes whether you're just being a knowed-up jackwagon, or you simply can't....

Here, again .... "not allowed to declare he thought the president had committed a crime".

That is an opinion, not a formal declaration. He is allowed to state an opinion. This is still a free country. And if you have a problem with the wording "he THOUGHT", talk to Ox.

No, Mueller was not allowed to share an opinion about whether Trump committed any criminal acts. It's not a free speech question, it's a matter of his role as a prosecutor. Mueller was prohibited from such statements because he, as a prosecutor, was bound by the OLC opinion.

Easy stuff to separate out.

--Sam

Comment

No, Mueller was not allowed to share an opinion ...
                            Have a wonderful afternoon, Sam.

Comment

• Lol,

See, Sam this is why I didn't respond when that guy kept quoting me

Your case is obvious, plain as day, but the guy goes out of his way to not quote you answering his questions in plain English

Mueller was hamstrung by the OLC memo and Trump is an unindicted coconspirator in worse crimes than Nixon was ever accused of

Ah haha hah, you're in for a bad year boyos

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                                Lol,

See, Sam this is why I didn't respond when that guy kept quoting me

Your case is obvious, plain as day, but the guy goes out of his way to not quote you answering his questions in plain English

Mueller was hamstrung by the OLC memo and Trump is an unindicted coconspirator in worse crimes than Nixon was ever accused of

Ah haha hah, you're in for a bad year boyos
                                Tired of whispering from the sidelines, eh?
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment