Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Real Clear Average - Polling for Support of Impeachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Meh, it's evening out.... nothing major, and certainly not "overwhelming support" or "bipartisan support"....

impeach.jpg
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do they only include the 9 polls shown at the top of this page? If so it looks like they are including many polls which are very old. Of those 9 polls the 6 which which either tie or oppose removal all precede adopting the articles of impeachment and date back 2-4 weeks old. That's ancient history given how fast new news keeps coming out.
        Last edited by DivineOb; 01-02-2020, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          Do they only include the 9 polls shown at the top of this page? If so it looks like they are including many polls which are very old. Of those 9 polls the 6 which which either tie or oppose removal all precede adopting the articles of impeachment and date back 2-4 weeks old. That's ancient history given how fast new news keeps coming out.
          Here's what amazes me ---- the AVERAGE polling has NEVER been over, what, 49.5% in favor of removal, EVEN with 24/7 coverage? And it's trending DOWN through December, and "leveling out" in recent days. And some of the HateTrumpSquad here have declared Trump needs to be removed because "over 50% of the people" want that. In fact, they cited ONE POLL where "over 50%" of the people want Trump removed, and on THAT BASIS, they justify removal.

A) We're not a pure democracy - so we don't go by "what the American people want".
          2) The Framers of the Constitution were wise enough to require a SUPER-MAJORITY for matters of great importance.
          C) What's more serious than "throwing out a sitting President".

So, unless and until the polling shows that TWO THIRDS of the people want Trump removed, I don't think you're going to see the Senate terribly worried about shutting it down.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Here's what amazes me ---- the AVERAGE polling has NEVER been over, what, 49.5% in favor of removal, EVEN with 24/7 coverage? And it's trending DOWN through December, and "leveling out" in recent days. And some of the HateTrumpSquad here have declared Trump needs to be removed because "over 50% of the people" want that. In fact, they cited ONE POLL where "over 50%" of the people want Trump removed, and on THAT BASIS, they justify removal.

A) We're not a pure democracy - so we don't go by "what the American people want".
            2) The Framers of the Constitution were wise enough to require a SUPER-MAJORITY for matters of great importance.
            C) What's more serious than "throwing out a sitting President".

So, unless and until the polling shows that TWO THIRDS of the people want Trump removed, I don't think you're going to see the Senate terribly worried about shutting it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
              I would say there are many many more serious matters than removing a sitting president.
              If the Democrats weren't handling this in such an incredibly partisan manner, I'd be more sympathetic.

A presidents importance is based on the position they hold, there are plenty of people capable of doing this job.
              And if Trump is removed from office, Mike Pence will be POTUS.

I think I'm gonna come over there and see this for myself.

Comment

If the Democrats weren't handling this in such an incredibly partisan manner, I'd be more sympathetic.

And if Trump is removed from office, Mike Pence will be POTUS.

I think I'm gonna come over there and see this for myself.

Comment

From all I have heard, you guys handle things in a much less dramatic fashion, and cooler heads seem to eventually prevail.

And if "being a jerk" were an impeachable offense, I'd be for it.

Reminds me of a pastor friend who was kicked out of his church for "stealing butter".

At least, that's the legacy --- he was a bit of a hothead, and there were constant battles, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when there was a church function, and they were out of butter, and one of the ladies knew that the pastor's wife had come next door to the church and borrowed butter from the church fridge to bake some cookies.

Nobody remembers all the squabbles --- they just remember "they stole BUTTER"!!!!

Comment

From all I have heard, you guys handle things in a much less dramatic fashion, and cooler heads seem to eventually prevail.

And if "being a jerk" were an impeachable offense, I'd be for it.

Reminds me of a pastor friend who was kicked out of his church for "stealing butter".

At least, that's the legacy --- he was a bit of a hothead, and there were constant battles, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when there was a church function, and they were out of butter, and one of the ladies knew that the pastor's wife had come next door to the church and borrowed butter from the church fridge to bake some cookies.

Nobody remembers all the squabbles --- they just remember "they stole BUTTER"!!!!
                    Edited by a Moderator
                    Moderated By: QuantaFille

Using crude sexual terms to refer to people is not allowed.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 01-08-2020, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• I guess the our brains must summarise legacies into one memorable event. We do that with landmark legal cases to make it easier to remember as well. Even to this day Kevin Rudd is just remembered as a Edited by a Moderator
                      If I might make a kind suggestion --- I know words don't always mean the same things in various countries, but what you're calling Rudd is... um..... often perceived as a very demeaning sexual reference.
                      Last edited by QuantaFille; 01-08-2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                        Edited by a Moderator
                        Last edited by QuantaFille; 01-08-2020, 09:26 PM.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                          I disagree. His #1 enemy is the media. Granted, he doesn't do himself any favors with his Twitter account.
                          The MSM is becoming increasingly impotent when it comes to dealing with him. I'd say that the lion's share of the damage that he suffers is self-inflicted. Even when the MSM begrudgingly covers news that is good for him (primarily economic) he can't help himself and picks a twitter fight with someone and steps all over that news.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• My favorite was when some socialite scornfully scolded him for being inebriated and he quipped, "My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              My favorite was when some socialite scornfully scolded him for being inebriated and he quipped, "My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly."
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                My favorite was when some socialite scornfully scolded him for being inebriated and he quipped, "My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly."
                                Or another favorite of mine:

"You're a boor! If I was your wife, I would poison your tea!"
                                "And if you were my wife, madam, I would drink it."
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment