Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Joe Biden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I feel bad for the Democratic party. Their nomination process produced an older white male which is the antithesist of their diversity claims and who is a weak candidate. Now they're trying to bolster their diversity by the vice-presidential candidate and hoping whoever they come up with is compentent to become president. If the person isn't viewed as compenent, I think given Biden's age they will lose votes. Their vice-president nominee could end up being their Sarah Palin. If they try to replace Biden and don't give the nomination to Sanders the presumptive second-place, I predict the party shreds itself.

Maybe they will work it all out but do I see them in a deep hole.
    I don't at all feel bad for the Dem party. The drama of their fracturing entertains me.

I still do believe to a certain degree that might be a factor against the Dems in the general. But Sanders won't put up any sort of fight when they sidestep him. In fact, he'll kowtow to the choice and obediently kiss the ring. His followers, on the hand, could be a different story, but I think it was that way prior to all this. #NoBiden had been trending previously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      Up until today I hadn't seen a single person try to defend Biden against the allegations, as opposed to either supporting them (if a Progressive or a Trumpist), or just ignore them if a Biden supporter.

Here's what I saw someone post:

Any views on the validity of those arguments?
      No need to defend him when the MSM has for all practical purposes spiked the story. I heard about a poll this morning that shows that a sizable majority of Americans have heard nothing about it and know nothing about it. Now, that can be excused in the past few months with the wall-to-wall coverage about the Chicom coronavirus, but IIRC this story broke a year ago (April 2019).

As for the validity of the arguments... I really don't know. But one glaring difference is that she did tell people about it right after it allegedly took place. And interestingly it appears that her mother called Larry King Live and brought it up but now CNN is saying that they somehow lost all record of that episode -- the show itself is not in the archive and even the transcript is missing.

And if lawyers at the time said they weren't interested in pursuing it due to being a he said/she said case without corroborating evidence that demonstrates that she did indeed pursue it back then which in turn strongly supports her claim that she filed a complaint with the Senate as well. The fact that nobody can find it could well mean that it like the record of the Larry King Live episode has mysteriously and conveniently disappeared.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
        I don't at all feel bad for the Dem party. The drama of their fracturing entertains me.

I still do believe to a certain degree that might be a factor against the Dems in the general. But Sanders won't put up any sort of fight when they sidestep him. In fact, he'll kowtow to the choice and obediently kiss the ring. His followers, on the hand, could be a different story, but I think it was that way prior to all this. #NoBiden had been trending previously.
        I suspect that he might not bend the knee as much as agree not to cause any waves

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          And if lawyers at the time said they weren't interested in pursuing it due to being a he said/she said case without corroborating evidence that demonstrates that she did indeed pursue it back then which in turn strongly supports her claim that she filed a complaint with the Senate as well. The fact that nobody can find it could well mean that it like the record of the Larry King Live episode has mysteriously and conveniently disappeared.
          And we know that Congress had a slush fund for paying off accusers and victims, so I imagine that a lot of formal complaints have been "lost" over the years.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I have no doubt now that the DNC will use this to replace Biden. No doubt whatsoever. How they'll do it, I'm not sure, and how they'll sidestep Sanders I'm not sure, but they'll find a way. They might drag their feet for awhile though just to leave no one with the impression that they had somehow pre-planned all this (I'm not saying this was all pre-planned, but that they don't want to give anyone the idea). Who they replace him with I'm also not sure but I'd put my money on Kamala Harris. If you're a betting person, go all in on Biden not getting the nom. You'd make a killing because I believe the Vegas odds are still very much in his favor.
            Actually I retract this. Do not put your money on Biden not to get the nom

The best way I can see them going about it is they allow Biden to amass the majority of delegates (he's like 600 or so away), thus they can make the whole thing official. He'll probably reach the majority before July. By this time, he would have already chosen a VP. He then steps down, or the DNC abolishes him in disgrace as a sexual predator and -- wala -- his VP takes the reign legitimately. Though I'm not 100% certain how the rules would be applied here to that.

Comment

• Biden actually falling asleep during his interview with Hillary. I watched most of the whole thing when it was live. At first I wasn't sure what he was doing (maybe reading something?), but after he did it a few times, I was like, this dude is actually falling asleep.

Comment

The best way I can see them going about it is they allow Biden to amass the majority of delegates (he's like 600 or so away), thus they can make the whole thing official. He'll probably reach the majority before July. By this time, he would have already chosen a VP. He then steps down, or the DNC abolishes him in disgrace as a sexual predator and -- wala -- his VP takes the reign legitimately. Though I'm not 100% certain how the rules would be applied here to that.
                Rules don't matter. The DNC is a private organization. They can do whatever they want.

Comment

New York just announced that they're not going to bother holding a primary which sharply increases the chances that Biden will not have enough delegates to win the party's nomination and lead to a brokered convention. The fact that this is the state where Mario Cuomo is governor (and who is often named as a likely replacement for Joe "Slow Hands" Biden) is obviously just a coincidence.

ETA: I meant Andrew Cuomo. Mario was his dad and also a 3 term NY governor
                  Last edited by rogue06; 04-29-2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

New York just announced that they're not going to bother holding a primary which sharply increases the chances that Biden will not have enough delegates to win the party's nomination and lead to a brokered convention. The fact that this is the state where Mario Cuomo is governor (and who is often named as a likely replacement for Joe "Slow Hands" Biden) is obviously just a coincidence.
                    According to my local paper, the party leadership is going to allocate the delegates. They say they will give some to Sanders. Besides even if they give all the delegates to Cuomo, that isn't enough to get him the nomination.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

According to my local paper, the party leadership is going to allocate the delegates. They say they will give some to Sanders. Besides even if they give all the delegates to Cuomo, that isn't enough to get him the nomination.
                      The point is that moves like this mean that the DNC is once again taking the right to pick the party's candidate away from the rank and file membership and allowing the leadership to select who they want regardless of what the majority wants.

Comment

He could still reach the majotiy without NY. In fact, I believe cancelling NY hurts Bernie more than it does Biden.

Comment

There's nothing to stop them from taking votes away from other candidates and bestowing them on the one of their choosing.

Comment

The point is that moves like this mean that the DNC is once again taking the right to pick the party's candidate away from the rank and file membership and allowing the leadership to select who they want regardless of what the majority wants.
                            The rank-and-file membership had already settled on the candidate: Joe Biden. He was so far ahead of Sanders before this point that he had basically clinched the nomination. And whatever small, tiny, insignificant chance Sanders did have of somehow pulling it off disappeared when he suspended his campaign anyway.

Cancelling the primary at this point is nothing more than recognizing what the people had decided and not seeing any reason to bother with what's at this point a formality at best in the midst of an epidemic.

Comment

• 94706012_10216071472811561_5990034701245480960_n.jpg
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

How many primaries did the GoF party cancel *while* there were still multiple candidates in contention?

Comment