Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Little Greta comes clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
    What did I say the first time? Free speech = everything should be protected if it's only verbal. If you want to cry fire in movie theater, you should be allowed to do it. But if anyone gets hurt, you pay the legal consequences. It makes everything simple that way. No gray areas, no slippery slopes, no one person or group of people determining want language is acceptable or protected and what isn't. FYI, my father was black.
    There can't be unlimited free speech. And that kind of perverse speech wasn't the intent to start with. The intent is to prevent the government from forcefully shutting up it's critics.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      There can't be unlimited free speech. And that kind of perverse speech wasn't the intent to start with. The intent is to prevent the government from forcefully shutting up it's critics.
      There could be unlimited free speech, but there won't be for obvious reasons. We can at least make an attempt to keep speech as free as long as God will allow it to last.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
        What did I say the first time? Free speech = everything should be protected if it's only verbal. If you want to cry fire in movie theater, you should be allowed to do it. But if anyone gets hurt, you pay the legal consequences. It makes everything simple that way. No gray areas, no slippery slopes, no one person or group of people determining want language is acceptable or protected and what isn't. FYI, my father was black.
        Ok, let's drop the ethnicity thing (I'm 100% white BTW, so now we're even). I get the point you were trying to make but I would encourage you to think through whether it really makes sense to legalize death threats, bomb threats, libel / slander, fake ransom demands, bomb making guides, copyrighted materials, 3d printable gun designs etc. It does make things simpler if anything goes but I don't think it leads to the kind of society most of us would want to live in.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          My only argument with seer was that it seems to be just a matter of his being rude and disrespectful to someone he just doesn't like being that he was perfectly fine with calling Donna by her preferred name.
          I wasn't being rude, I was being accurate with Christopher. And that was because Chris demanded compliance and Donna did not.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Then give us a straight answer Tass, should the force of law be used for those who refuse to use specific pro-nouns?

No, I think Christ is a historic person as related in the New Testament, and arguably the single most influential person in human history.

But we can prove that Chris is not a woman. You can not demonstrate that Christ is not a historic figure.

is
            That is nonsense Tass, you attack religion at every turn even when it has nothing to do with political questions like our many discussions on the Philosophy board. And it seems that you would have no problem using the law to force the delusional use of pro-nouns. More double standards.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
              In general I agree.

It only becomes an issue when a particular person is being subjected to repeated insults in vastly greater volume and frequency than others. People being picked on and bullied in such a way is harmful to them and has measurable negative consequences - e.g. much worse health outcomes (chronic stress, heart attacks, strokes), or drives them to drink or to drugs or suicide at much higher rates than non-bullied people. The saying 'sticks and stones my break my bones, but names will never hurt me' is empirically false.

For that reason it's reasonable for schools to attempt to limit bullying. For that reason it's reasonable for society to attempt to limit bullying toward adults who are at risk of it. That's why I think hate-speech laws can have a place, because people in minority groups might be picked on and insulted on a daily basis by everyone they interact with. If instead we can give these people are relatively normal life free of abnormally large amount of bullying, for a relatively low price of having a law banning nastiness toward them, that seems like a large net social gain for a relatively low social cost.
              Kind of like the way the democrats treat conservatives? Calling us deplorables, racists, fascists, Nazis, etc?

Comment

• Did you know that it is against the law in Canada to not refer to someone by their chosen gender's gender or name.

A BC father was hauled into court recently for refusing to refer to his child by the name and gender forced upon the child by the stepmother.

That's a thread around here somewhere.

So, hate-speech here includes gender shifting pronouns.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Did you know that it is against the law in Canada to not refer to someone by their chosen gender's gender or name.

A BC father was hauled into court recently for refusing to refer to his child by the name and gender forced upon the child by the stepmother.

That's a thread around here somewhere.

So, hate-speech here includes gender shifting pronouns.

We agree that case is bizarre and an indication of something fundamentally wrong with the current direction of thought on these issues.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    We agree that case is bizarre and an indication of something fundamentally wrong with the current direction of thought on these issues.

We have Trudeau to thank for personkind jokes and the current hate speech laws.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                      I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you're white.
                      That's racist, DO.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• This thread has sure devolved from the topic of the hypocrisy of the enviro-fanatics.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          This thread has sure devolved from the topic of the hypocrisy of the enviro-fanatics.
                          That's never happened before

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            That's racist, DO.
                            Care to elaborate?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              That's never happened before
                              Yeah!

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                                Care to elaborate?
                                Seems self evident - making assumptions about someone's race because of the person's views as if skin color dictated thought.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment