Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It would be good to note (since I think I'm the one who brought this up in the first place) that 'social engineering' today is not the same context in which I used it.

Today, it means using non-technical means to get what hackers want.

There's also social engineering in political science, and in sociology.

I was referring (and when I use the term, intend to refer) to the sociological sense in which, for example, 'education' introduces a fear of 'the coming ice age' or 'overpopulation' or other things to influence society to be more accepting of birth control, abortion, euthanasia, same-sex marriage, etc...
    I doubt that anyone confused the context as personal security.

The civil rights legislation was designed to influence society to be accepting of equality of rights. And it was successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      I doubt that anyone confused the context as personal security.
      Just pointing out there are at least 3 different contexts in which the term is used.

The civil rights legislation was designed to influence society to be accepting of equality of rights. And it was successful.
      I don't believe that was so much "social engineering" as it was a grassroots effort started by the likes or Rosa Parks, The Tuskegee Airmen, Martin Luther King and others.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just pointing out there are at least 3 different contexts in which the term is used.

I don't believe that was so much "social engineering" as it was a grassroots effort started by the likes or Rosa Parks, The Tuskegee Airmen, Martin Luther King and others.
        So the civil rights movement started in the forties and fifties?

Maybe it is a good thing that most states dictate some of the curricula, such as black history month.

The civil rights movement started much earlier, the actors which you named were just the ones who became popular and accepted by a large segment of this country.

Comment

So the civil rights movement started in the forties and fifties?
          Most movements don't start on a specific date - they tend to be an accumulation of events that move..... that's why it's called a "movement".

Maybe it is a good thing that most states dictate some of the curricula, such as black history month.
          Yeah, sure.

The civil rights movement started much earlier, the actors which you named were just the ones who became popular and accepted by a large segment of this country.
          Which is exactly why I said "the likes of" and "and others".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've lived all over Texas and haven't run into a single person who hates Lincoln. Never heard any such thing.
            I think, judging from the Confederate Flag thread, that he's talking about the KKK.

I just don't think the KKK are that big anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              I think, judging from the Confederate Flag thread, that he's talking about the KKK.

I just don't think the KKK are that big anymore.
              True story: Fall 1981, standing in the cafeteria line in a Southern state university, overheard the two black guys in line behind me talking about the Klan. They agreed it was a joke.

It's not even that anymore.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                True story: Fall 1981, standing in the cafeteria line in a Southern state university, overheard the two black guys in line behind me talking about the Klan. They agreed it was a joke.

No, they are not that big anymore. But they were never all that big, yet they still managed to gain influence, because of the number of "fellow travelers" or those sympathetic to its ideas and ideals. In the same way, the overt racism of the klan has largely disappeared, yet racism has not.
                or

Comment

No, they are not that big anymore. But they were never all that big, yet they still managed to gain influence, because of the number of "fellow travelers" or those sympathetic to its ideas and ideals. In the same way, the overt racism of the klan has largely disappeared, yet racism has not.
                  or
                  Don't leave me hanging, bro ---- or WHAT?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

The Klan is alive and well in North Carolina.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      The Klan is alive and well in North Carolina.
                      I would hardly call an opinion piece by a "contributing columnist" proof that the Klan was "alive and well".

It sounds like "the Klan" snuck into town like the cowards they are in the middle of the night, and scattered like roaches when the sun (both literally and metaphorically) came up.

Comment

I would hardly call an opinion piece by a "contributing columnist" proof that the Klan was "alive and well".

It sounds like "the Klan" snuck into town like the cowards they are in the middle of the night, and scattered like roaches when the sun (both literally and metaphorically) came up.
                        "Small caravan" from "one of the largest groups in the country"? They're YUGE, I'm tellin' ya!
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Don't leave me hanging, bro ---- or WHAT?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            "Small caravan" from "one of the largest groups in the country"? They're YUGE, I'm tellin' ya!
                            And I have "vivid and painful memories of black churches being burned in my own state when I was a child

Comment

• And how about the numerous race crime hoaxes that have cropped up in recent years?
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                According to this report there are only about 3,000 Klan members in the whole USA and their numbers are declining.

https://www.adl.org/sites/default/fi...f-kkk-2016.pdf

Comment