Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump-Russia Probe: Criminal Investigation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    say again, "Journalism" (and I specifically put it in quotes) has become a joke.
    It hasn't become a joke, it has always been a joke. It's just most people didn't realize it before because of the mystique surrounding journalism going back to the days of Walter "The Most Trusted Man In America" Cronkite who was, in fact, astonishingly biased, but there was nobody to call him on it, and so most people simply accepted that if Walter said it, then it must be true. Dan Rather getting busted by internet bloggers for his "fake but accurate" memo story was pretty much the beginning of the end for modern journalism.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Anybody can be a "journalist" these days, Jim, and anybody can claim their news sources are not biased. Most people can't tell the difference between real journalism, editorial content, and commentary.

I say again, "Journalism" (and I specifically put it in quotes) has become a joke.
      Right CP, thats why journalist, like Khashoggi, are being murdered all over the world. That journalism is a joke is what the right wing propagandist, and wannabe dictators of the world want you to believe, CP. Fall for it, and the joke is on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It hasn't become a joke, it has always been a joke. It's just most people didn't realize it before because of the mystique surrounding journalism going back to the days of Walter "The Most Trusted Man In America" Cronkite who was, in fact, astonishingly biased, but there was nobody to call him on it, and so most people simply accepted that if Walter said it, then it must be true. Dan Rather getting busted by internet bloggers for his "fake but accurate" memo story was pretty much the beginning of the end for modern journalism.
        Well, at least we have Breitbart.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Right CP, thats why journalist, like Khashoggi, are being murdered all over the world. That journalism is a joke is what the right wing propagandist, and wannabe dictators of the world want you to believe, CP. Fall for it, and the joke is on you.
          I see you're back to your old ways, Jim.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
            Well, at least we have Breitbart.
            God works in mysterious ways.

Comment

Says the guy who claims that Barr is chasing conspiracy theories.
              Nah. Barr is just sucking up to the Dear Leader.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Nah. Barr is just sucking up to the Dear Leader.
                Whatever narrative helps you sleep at night.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I see you're back to your old ways, Jim.
                  What do I have to do to make you happy, CP, agree with you? Journalism is not a joke and journalist are being murdered all the time. To call it a joke is exactly what dictators, and wannabe dictators like Trump, want you to believe. Here's Trump at one of his rallies. And I paraphrase: "Don't believe what you're reading or seeing." In other words what he is saying is don't believe journalists, just believe me and those who support me. Khashoggi is dead, cut up into little pieces, because he was a journalist. Calling it a joke is not only ignorant, it's an insult to all the journalists out there risking their lives because of people like Trump.
                  Last edited by JimL; 10-29-2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment

What do I have to do to make you happy, CP, agree with you? Journalism is not a joke and journalist are being murdered all the time. To call it a joke is exactly what dictators, and wannabe dictators like Trump, want you to believe. Here's Trump at one of his rallies. And I paraphrase: "Don't believe what you're reading or seeing." In other words what he is saying is don't believe journalists, just believe me and those who support me. Khashoggi is dead, cut up into little pieces, because he was a journalist. Calling it a joke is not only ignorant, it's an insult to all the journalists out there risking their lives because of people like Trump.
                    And judging by many here, that particular approach is effective. Most of the Trump supporters, even the 'only sometimes' Trump supporters, are so prejudiced against any sort of legitimate journalistic organization they believe nearly everything said by them about Trump is somehow a lie. When all common points of reference are undermined, when there is no truth only tribes from which a statement is sourced, there is no longer any means of arbitration or communication between people of different points of view. Make the masses eschew the press and listen only to your approved sources, and you own them, lock, stock, and barrel. Isolation from any conflicting view point is the bread and butter of cults, abusers, and dictators.

Jim
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-29-2019, 08:43 AM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      And judging by many here, that particular approach is effective. Most of the Trump supporters, even the 'only sometimes' Trump supporters, are so prejudiced against any sort of legitimate journalistic organization they believe nearly everything said by them about Trump is somehow a lie. When all common points of reference are undermined, when there is no truth only tribes from which a statement is sourced, there is no longer any means of arbitration or communication between people of different points of view. Make the masses eschew the press and listen only to your approved sources, and you own them, lock, stock, and barrel. Isolation from any conflicting view point is the bread and butter of cults, abusers, and dictators.

Jim
                      Apparently, other than Trump himself, none of his supporters have read George Orwells "1984". "the party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears."

Comment

What do I have to do to make you happy, CP, agree with you?
                        Be an adult.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I have been talking to you as an adult, Jim - perhaps you could reign in the insults, as well.
                        Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Yes, I can.

Journalism is not a joke and journalist are being murdered all the time.
                        Those two concepts are not connected, and they are not being murdered "all the time". That's a bit of an exaggeration, Jim.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• At least Trump is not using the full force of the US government to intimidate journalists and news organizations like his predecessor.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Whatever narrative helps you sleep at night.
                            Believe me, Knowing what Trump, Barr, and his band of unethical, unpatriotic, undemocratic thugs and lemmings are up to doesn't help us sleep at night. I'm sure you sleep like a baby though.

Comment

At least Trump is not using the full force of the US government to intimidate journalists and news organizations like his predecessor.
                              On the whole, Trump is much worse than Obama in terms of undermining the critical institutions on which our government and way of life depend. The specific attack you reference WRT Obama may have been, as a single instance, as bad or possibly worse than any single instance attack by Trump, but the number of attacks, and the persistence of them is off the charts with Trump. And instead of raising the IRE of everyone - including his supporters - by stepping a bit out of bounds, Trump enjoys the full support of his base with every attack on the press - because his base for the most part is ignorant of the importance of the free press, and ignorant of the historical use of this sort of tactic to diminish the power of the press to hold government and governmental leaders accountable to the people that elect them.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Apparently, other than Trump himself, none of his supporters have read George Orwells "1984". "the party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears."
                                yep - that is kind of what boggles. For most of us older generation folks where 1984 was still in our future in junior high/high school, Orwell's book was required reading. Yet you'd think most of the folks here supporting Trump's every move had never read the thing (not that there are not similar parallels to be drawn with the left's speech controls). Maybe the entire country needs to take a day off and re-read Orwell's "1984". Far too many in politics, and far too much of the population - on both sides - seem ignorant of its warnings.

Comment