Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have allowed your unbridled hatred for Trump to cause you to hold the constitution and all of legal jurisprudence in utter contempt. Your willingness to shred them into scraps like allowing second and third hand hearsay to be admitted as legitimate evidence is just one indication. Your refusal to accept the legitimacy of Executive Privilege, calling it illegal, is yet another.

The Democrats had no interest in conducting a legitimate impeachment hearing but you really don't care.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      The Democrats where fighting against the same conspiratorial attempts to sweep what Trump has done under the rug during the investigation and actions to bring forward articles of impeachment. They were forced by that to exert their authority and control to keep the evidence and the testimony from being corrupted or otherwise hidden.
      What are you talking about? The Democrats held open hearings for weeks. They could have argued in court to prove legal sufficiency to compel those gagged by executive privilege to testify, but they quickly lost heart for the fight and rushed the impeachment articles to a vote because they simply didn't have time to wait. They had to get them to the Senate as quickly as possible!

Or not...

very_urgent_small20200110125231.jpg

If the Democrats don't have a strong case to present to the Senate then they only have themselves to blame.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Well, if they dismiss the impeachment, or put on a sham trial as Moscow Mitch affirmed to be his intention, if they purposely block direct testimoney and relative documentary evidence, then of course I'll say they did it on purpose. That's not rocket science, Sparko, even you know that, though you'll never admit to it.
        I was alluding to your propensity to claim anything bad for your side is actually something good and planned by the democrats in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          The Democrats do - and they are evidently beginning to regret her speakership.
          Tea, you've been saying that for nearly 2 years now. It isn't democrats who are beginning to regret her speakership, it's you republicans who were hoping she wouldn't be speaker in the first place. In other words, you're projecting.

Comment

• The House democrats also refused to let Republicans call witnesses or even interview the democrat witnesses properly. How is that fair and impartial?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              The Democrats do - and they are evidently beginning to regret her speakership.
              I think it's more a case that Democrats see their party imploding and are desperately looking for someone to blame. Pelosi is proving to be a convenient target because she seems to have lost control of the House, though I'm not certain the blame is entirely on her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                The House democrats also refused to let Republicans call witnesses or even interview the democrat witnesses properly. How is that fair and impartial?
                I think Jimmy's biggest fear is that the Senate will conduct the trial the way the House conducted the inquiry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  What the Senate Republicans are up to is that they are giving the Democrats the opportunity to present their very best opening argument. Do you think it will be compelling enough to convince a majority of Senators to continue the trial? You seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that it won't be.
                  Nope, i don't believe it's a forgone conclusion, there are one or two principled republicans in the Senate and a few with tough upcoming elections who can't just look the other way when it comes time to vote on allowing witnesses and documentary evidence at trial since that is what some 70% of the people want. But, the allowing new evidence is not just to convince republican senators, it's to convince the real jury which is the american people one way or the other. That's what you republicans are mostly concerned about. If the trial evinces the Presidents guilt, the you can't so easily aquit if the American people come to know the facts. If they do, then they'll have to pay for it at the polls.

Comment

The House democrats also refused to let Republicans call witnesses or even interview the democrat witnesses properly. How is that fair and impartial?
                    If you can show me documentation that the Democrats wouldn't let Republicans call relevant witnesses (e.g. not Hunter Biden) I'll join you in condemning them. Same for preventing them from interviewing relevant witnesses.

I want to follow the truth wherever it leads.

Comment

False. Republicans didn't participate in the investigation, other than to whine and complain about the process, because they didn't want to participate.

Comment

I think it's more a case that Democrats see their party imploding and are desperately looking for someone to blame. Pelosi is proving to be a convenient target because she seems to have lost control of the House, though I'm not certain the blame is entirely on her.
                        That's called wishful thinking, MM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          You have allowed your unbridled hatred for Trump to cause you to hold the constitution and all of legal jurisprudence in utter contempt. Your willingness to shred them into scraps like allowing second and third hand hearsay to be admitted as legitimate evidence is just one indication. Your refusal to accept the legitimacy of Executive Privilege, calling it illegal, is yet another.

The Democrats had no interest in conducting a legitimate impeachment hearing but you really don't care.
                          It was a perfectly conducted and legitimate investigation, even though republicans refused to participate. And executive privilege is naught but a canard since for one thing, supoenaed witnesses are obliged to testify, and they can refuse to answer questions regarding classified information that are protected by executive privilege. And btw, these are first hand witnesses and evidence, not second and third hand hearsay evidence.

Comment

I was alluding to your propensity to claim anything bad for your side is actually something good and planned by the democrats in the first place.
                            Perhaps it's me, but I can't make sense out of what your saying here. Any examples?

Comment

That's what you've been told, but it's not true. Republicans simply refused to participate and instead opted to sabotage the process and lie to the American people about it.

Comment

I think Jimmy's biggest fear is that the Senate will conduct the trial the way the House conducted the inquiry.
                                MM, we all know you want a sham trial, you can't handle the possibility that Trump might be found guilty. You're stance makes it clear that you're all afraid to see all the evidence. You can blather on, but you can't hide.

Comment