Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet the Democrats suddenly find it's no longer a "rush" thing, and they're sitting on the Articles.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Right... Democrats are so worried about Trump delaying impeachment that they have put the articles on indefinite hold instead of sending them immediately to the Senate.
      I think the only plausible explanation is that they convinced themselves that the hearings would convince the American people that they had "overwhelming evidence" and Trump was a "clear and present danger", and everybody would be demanding the Senate convict and remove.

They gambled and they lost. Now they have to figure out how to get this impeachment scam back on track, because a loss in the Senate would be disastrous for their 2020 chances.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I think the only plausible explanation is that they convinced themselves that the hearings would convince the American people that they had "overwhelming evidence" and Trump was a "clear and present danger", and everybody would be demanding the Senate convict and remove.

They gambled and they lost. Now they have to figure out how to get this impeachment scam back on track, because a loss in the Senate would be disastrous for their 2020 chances.
        Back? It was never on track. They'd have to build a track. Even then, they're still gonna crash into the Senate.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Back? It was never on track.
          As I typed that, I knew somebody would take objection to it. I even guessed it would be you.

They'd have to build a track. Even then, they're still gonna crash into the Senate.
          So, lemme clarify. I think they had suckered themselves into thinking they were "on track" to remove Trump, but were stunned when the polls actually showed they were losing ground. (Some of the polls have since shown increased support, but nothing overwhelming)

Oh, and....

Merry Christmas.

Comment

As I typed that, I knew somebody would take objection to it. I even guessed it would be you.

So, lemme clarify. I think they had suckered themselves into thinking they were "on track" to remove Trump, but were stunned when the polls actually showed they were losing ground. (Some of the polls have since shown increased support, but nothing overwhelming)

Oh, and....

Merry Christmas.
            I agreed with the gist - just not the idea that impeachment had ever really been on track (implying removal).

And it was funny.

Merry Christmas!!!!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I agreed with the gist - just not the idea that impeachment had ever really been on track (implying removal).
              Sure! It was on track to reelect Trump. Which is why the Democrats derailed their own train.

And it was funny.

Merry Christmas!!!!
              And bacon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Right... Democrats are so worried about Trump delaying impeachment that they have put the articles on indefinite hold instead of sending them immediately to the Senate.
                They are not on hold. Trump has been impeached. The Dems are continuing their impeachment investigations and will summon the trial when they are satisfied that the trial will be fair. McConnell will not provide a fair trial at this stage and therefore it will stay in the courts for a few months.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  They are not on hold. Trump has been impeached. The Dems are continuing their impeachment investigations and will summon the trial when they are satisfied that the trial will be fair. McConnell will not provide a fair trial at this stage and therefore it will stay in the courts for a few months.
                  Yes, the Democrats have Trump right where they want him. Go Dems!

Comment

No, I would not.

You're forgetting two things. The first is that as a coequal branch the Executive has no obligation to observe extraconstitutional demands made by the Legislature except as established in precedent and law. Second, related to the first, is that the precedent exists as established in the Nixon inquiry.

Per the case law from the Nixon administration, the Executive does possess a limited privilege to withhold information from Congress regardless of subpoena or other legal devices. The remedy if Congress believes it has a right to the information is to appeal to the Court.

The House could have correctly authorized the subpoenas and requested certiorari as per rule, precedent and law. The House has not established the case for overriding executive privilege and never attempted to do so. Privilege therefore stands and there is no basis for obstruction.

Heck, I don't think obstruction would have been a legitimate article against Nixon based only on the subpoenas.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                      Attempting to use articles of impeachment as a leverage against the Senate and the Executive branch is a clear abuse of power. If they weren't done with their investigation then they shouldn't have voted to impeach, and I'm really hoping that Mitch takes option B where he declares that court is in session, and if the Democrats don't show up to present their case then he immediately dismisses all charges, no vote required.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So FF how did you like the election in England? You might like this...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yes, the Democrats have Trump right where they want him. Go Dems!
                          It is not ideal when they are up against a lawless president and a lawless McConnell, but Pelosi is fighting the good fight, and the truth will eventually prevail.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                            So FF how did you like the election in England? You might like this...

Labour were hopeless. I did not vote for them, not have I ever voted for them. My own politics are centre-right.

Comment

Labour were hopeless. I did not vote for them, not have I ever voted for them. My own politics are centre-right.
                              So you voted for Boris? For Brexit?
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                So you voted for Boris? For Brexit?
                                He's Scottish. I think he wants to vote for Scottexit.

Comment