Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Speaker Pelosi to announce formal impeachment inquiry of Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    According to an article I read recently, former politicians can be impeached and barred from holding office in the future.
    They can also be prosecuted.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Under a formalized impeachment inquiry, the committee will get the whistleblower complaint and underlying evidence. It won't have to settle for just a transcript of the call.

It'll also get the Mueller investigation's grand jury documents and a good deal of other material.

The trigger has been pulled and releasing a transcript of the call won't reverse that.

--Sam
      Never pull the trigger unless you know exactly where the bullet will end up - or what you're shooting at.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Under a formalized impeachment inquiry, the committee will get the whistleblower complaint and underlying evidence. It won't have to settle for just a transcript of the call.

It'll also get the Mueller investigation's grand jury documents and a good deal of other material.

The trigger has been pulled and releasing a transcript of the call won't reverse that.

--Sam
        The bolded may very well what this was about all along.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Well, the straw that broke the camel's back was not the first one placed there, after all.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

It's a safe bet that the grand jury documents will be no more damaging to Trump than Mueller's nothing-burger report.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Pelosi has completely lost control. I think she's just tired of the fight - or unable to keep it up. She's giving the freshmen the rope to hang themselves and the party.
              Even if after the transcripts are released and there's something "juicy" there for the Dems to capitalize on, it still may not have any real effect on elections simply because of the boy crying wolf scenario in the public conscious. But if there's in fact nothing in the transcripts, this will irreparably cripple any and all Dem election chances in 2020. Pelosi can't possibly be the only one that sees that.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                Even if after the transcripts are released and there's something "juicy" there for the Dems to capitalize on, it still may not have any real effect on elections simply because of the boy crying wolf scenario in the public conscious. But if there's in fact nothing in the transcripts, this will irreparably cripple any and all Dem election chances in 2020. Pelosi can't possibly be the only one that sees that.
                One of my favorite YT commentators likened it to betting everything before knowing what anyone else has in their hands. The NYT published an article speculating that Trump wants an impeachment because of the damage it will do the Democrats.

And Dem support in the Rustbelt is declining...

I think the Dems are so self involved that they are unable to see straight.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Interesting... (emphasis mine)

Comment

I REALLY think Pelosi has completely lost control of the House majority - which doesn't have enough votes to actually move anyway.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It's a safe bet that the grand jury documents will be no more damaging to Trump than Mueller's nothing-burger report.
                      But a lot more unsubstantiated rumors and gossip that the left can treat as indisputable facts.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        I REALLY think Pelosi has completely lost control of the House majority - which doesn't have enough votes to actually move anyway.
                        I think they've been waiting for an excuse -- any excuse -- to start proceedings in a long shot gamble that the Mueller investigation grand jury documents hold juicy gossip that is worth the risk to obtain.

Comment

I think they've been waiting for an excuse -- any excuse -- to start proceedings in a long shot gamble that the Mueller investigation grand jury documents hold juicy gossip that is worth the risk to obtain.
                          Nadler and the squad, yeah. Not Pelosi, I don't think.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

But a lot more unsubstantiated rumors and gossip that the left can treat as indisputable facts.
                            But they're not going to have access to those documents until the House holds a formal vote to begin the impeachment process, and that hasn't happened.

Comment

--Sam

Where did you get that info? This is not an actual impeachment inquiry, which first needs to be voted on. Nadler has been saying his previous investigation was too a formal impeachment hearing - that did not get him grand jury documents.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Where did you get that info? This is not an actual impeachment inquiry, which first needs to be voted on. Nadler has been saying his previous investigation was too a formal impeachment hearing - that did not get him grand jury documents.
                                Nadler is still in a court dispute to get those documents -- a dispute that now involves an explicit statement by the Speaker regarding impeachment.

There's no statute defining a "formal impeachment hearing". Recently, when the President is involved, there's been a vote directing an inquiry to investigate certain articles of impeachment. But there's no rule to make that a requirement. And if the Speaker of the House says that it's doing an impeachment inquiry, that compels the court to treat any relevant subpoenas as attached to an impeachment inquiry.

So the House will get the documents. And, if someone wants to get hard-nosed about that in court, Democrats (+Amash) will have the votes necessary. The Rubicon has been crossed.

--Sam
                                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment