Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

�Global Temperature� � Why Should We Trust A Statistic That Might Not Even Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    There is an average surface temperature and it is about 14 degrees Centigrade. It does not change over the short term. It is not affected by time of day, or the seasons. Making it useful is a case of improving measurement techniques and gathering lots and lots of data. Easier nowadays with satellites, I think.
    Except it doesn't tell us anything at all about the system - because it's an average. The mean skews if you look at it cross eyed.

Satellite data, as I understand it, is a big improvement on surface data - but I see no reason why that should make the mean any more externally valid.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Except it doesn't tell us anything at all about the system - because it's an average. The mean skews if you look at it cross eyed.

Satellite data, as I understand it, is a big improvement on surface data - but I see no reason why that should make the mean any more externally valid.

Comment

What I want to know is how an average is 'descriptive' of a highly complex system. I get that it's used as political shorthand - but I can't see any valid reason to use it - and political shorthand is not a valid reason, either.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

What I want to know is how an average is 'descriptive' of a highly complex system. I get that it's used as political shorthand - but I can't see any valid reason to use it - and political shorthand is not a valid reason, either.
          If the theory about greenhouse gases is correct, the average temperature will go up. If your measurements show that trend, or something else, you can verify or modify your theory. The data always describes real behaviour and you want your theoretical understanding to match closely so that you can look ahead to possible futures.

The warming of the biosphere is related to climate change but they are different features of the same system.

Comment

If the theory about greenhouse gases is correct, the average temperature will go up. If your measurements show that trend, or something else, you can verify or modify your theory. The data always describes real behaviour and you want your theoretical understanding to match closely so that you can look ahead to possible futures.

The warming of the biosphere is related to climate change but they are different features of the same system.
            No, that doesn't answer the question - I'm not questioning the theory - I'm questioning the metric. Why is the mean a good metric for a complex system?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Why is the mean a good metric for a complex system?
              Because it gives them the answer they want.

(And if it doesn't, they simply "adjust" the data.)
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I know teal is not listening, but what the average does is allow a low frequency signal (warming) to be extracted from a very noisy data set. It works the best if the noise is guassian, which is why so much effort is being put into finding biases like ToOB.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No, that doesn't answer the question - I'm not questioning the theory - I'm questioning the metric. Why is the mean a good metric for a complex system?

The weather can be predicted accurately only a few hours ahead. The further ahead you want to look, the coarser the prediction. If you want to see 50 years ahead, all complex detail is lost. The average is what you see if you look into the distance.

Comment

Satellite data, as I understand it, is a big improvement on surface data [...]
                    Satellite data are far more robust, but also far more difficult to work with technically, requiring discrimination between different frequencies in the spectrum in order to differentiate between different layers in the atmosphere. The improvement is the ability to gather more data more quickly.

But the overall thrust here is incoherent. Satellite data for the surface are calibrated using surface data (and calibrated for higher layers using data from weather balloons). They can't "improve" on those measurements, just extend them.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      The weather can be predicted accurately only a few hours ahead. The further ahead you want to look, the coarser the prediction. If you want to see 50 years ahead, all complex detail is lost. The average is what you see if you look into the distance.
                      More impotantly, it allows you to see long term trends over the 'noise' of daily, seasonal, yearly and decadal variations due to the dynamic nature of the system.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        No - you couldn't. But that you think you could is informative. That lack of comprehension here is getting somewhat mind boggling. Why are you guys making yourselves stupid just to support the idea AGW is a farce? I know you are not ignorant enough to think what you just said makes any sense at all - right Sparko? Come on, lets try to at least argue at the level of what we know.

Jim
                        How about instead of using ad hominem* you actually tell me why I am wrong?

*see? I do know what ad hominem means.

Comment

ok - I now see how you think it 'supports' global warming - and in that light, it is funny
                          Ah so it is funny when it supports your belief.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                            Satellite data are far more robust, but also far more difficult to work with technically, requiring discrimination between different frequencies in the spectrum in order to differentiate between different layers in the atmosphere. The improvement is the ability to gather more data more quickly.

But the overall thrust here is incoherent. Satellite data for the surface are calibrated using surface data (and calibrated for higher layers using data from weather balloons). They can't "improve" on those measurements, just extend them.
                            Interesting.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Ah so it is funny when it supports your belief.

No Sparko, seen the way most of you saw it at first, it's just funny regardless. I didn't see it having that meaning the first time I saw it. That is what changed.

But It's funny in the different context than what I originally observed because of how it indirectly indicates the warming through the move to the need for less and less clothing - underwear - on women, who are traditionally 'cold' at night, and towards forms more commonly seen in swimsuits on women in tropical climes. IOW, it has more raw humorous value seen that way, and likely I'd have seen it as funny even if rogue had used it to mock AGW, though I'd have still been annoyed at supporting pseudo-science with it.

Had I initially seen it as above, my comment would have been more " - yes that is funny, but why are you ..."

Jim

Comment

No Sparko, seen the way most of you saw it at first, it's just funny regardless. I didn't see it having that meaning the first time I saw it. That is what changed.

But It's funny in the different context than what I originally observed because of how it indirectly indicates the warming through the move to the need for less and less clothing - underwear - on women, who are traditionally 'cold' at night, and towards forms more commonly seen in swimsuits on women in tropical climes. IOW, it has more raw humorous value seen that way, and likely I'd have seen it as funny even if rogue had used it to mock AGW, though I'd have still been annoyed at supporting pseudo-science with it.

Had I initially seen it as above, my comment would have been more " - yes that is funny, but why are you ..."

Jim
                                The actually funny part is that the "graph" has nothing to do with the need for less clothing due to the earth warming, but everything to do with modesty decreasing and the sexual revolution advancing. That was the joke.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment