Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    This was not the first time following your link didn't strengthen your case. I like how CP commented on your post: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post661364

Comment

The "CO2 greenhouse effect" is a long proven myth
      I read the article, there was nothing in making any sort of scientific arguments aside from an article talking about whether an actual greenhouse is heated more by trapped convection or trapping of infrared light.

The rest of the article read like a conspiracy theory paper that is wildly off in details in various places. It doesn't seem to care about making any accurate statements. It also calls Hansen a disciple of Velikovsky (who was a crank talking about mythological events being caused by wild swinging planets).

It also claims that it was first proposed in the 1980ies. This pretty much ignores that historically it's been suggested and talked about in the scientific community since the thirties, and the earliest mention is all the way back in 1896 in Arrhenius's work On the Influence of Carbonic Acid in the Air upon the Temperature of the Ground
      Last edited by Leonhard; 08-20-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]39169[/ATTACH]
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          That's more work than mowing!
          Not once the grass is gone, it actually isn't. I've seen many swept yards - some folks do still keep them - and some old deserted houses where the weeds still haven't taken over. Mind you, those are long term swept yards and they have a lot in common with concrete.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Ice core samples covering long stretches of earth's history consistently show that CO2 increases follow temperature increases. There is little if any evidence that CO2 is a driver of global temperatures.
            That is true Mountain Man. For most of the past two hundred thousand years, CO2 lags temperature. That's because the changes in temperature during those several thousand years have been a multi millenial long oscillation due to periodic changes to the Earth's orbit, which changes how much sunlight reaches us.

They are called Milankovich cycles.

So at first, the temperature rises due to an increase in sunlight. Then this increase in temperature releases dissolved CO2 from the ocean. Then the greenhouse effect of the CO2 takes over and drives the heating towards the peak of the the cycle.

You can see here from a paper by Shakun and Clark (2012) that describes this.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature10915

Comment

Thanks for the update.

The scream you may have heard was the result of my computer once again dumping everything and the Typio Form recovery was able to restore all of the first sentence but not the four paragraphs after it. Not much help.

I had heard DiCaprio defended because it was said that he wasn't the only one who used the "eyebrow artist" as if she worked on a few others made a lot of difference

Anywho, DiCaprio does like to party on yachts, including his own and the $687 million 482' long one that he rented from Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (a UAE oil tycoon who lives in England) to attend the 2014 World Cup with less than two dozen friends. Apparently it isn't exactly energy efficient using thousands of gallons of diesel fuel per hour. He also likes to fly on private jets several times a month to various destinations in Europe and Asia. And yet he claims to live a "carbon neutral lifestyle."

As for Ruffalo, I should have said that he had his family flown to Australia to vacation on the Great Barrier Reef.

And I don't have a problem with people taking vacations. What I have a problem is people lecturing others to live a more austere lifestyle not doing so themselves.
              *emphasis mine

Yeah, that!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Not once the grass is gone, it actually isn't. I've seen many swept yards - some folks do still keep them - and some old deserted houses where the weeds still haven't taken over. Mind you, those are long term swept yards and they have a lot in common with concrete.
                sure it is, you have to keep all that sweeping going. and pulling weeds, which seem to sprout everywhere when there is no grass.

My backyard is mostly "landscaped" - it was that way when I bought it. It has a small grassy area with a tree but the rest is a gravel path from one side to the other and various bushes surrounded by mulch. Most of my time is spent weeding that damn thing. The weeds grow in the mulch and in the dang gravel. I have to keep spraying roundup on the path and weeding around the bushes. I am about ready to concrete the whole back yard into a patio.

Comment

That's a rather bitter ad hominem you have there, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hypocrite.

But I'm not making this up...

Ice core samples covering long stretches of earth's history consistently show that CO2 increases follow temperature increases. There is little if any evidence that CO2 is a driver of global temperatures.

Unfortunately You have demonstrated time and time again you do not have a very deep background in science (much the same as I've demonstrated time and time again I'm not a very good speller). So my comment to you is not some cheap attempt to insult you. When I say you should stop making absolute pronouncements based on articles from the climate science equivalent of AIG I am just trying to give you good advice.

It is ok if you want to believe these things in the sense that is your right. But pseudo science is not real science, and to make absolute pronouncements based on pseudoscience just isn't wise, or particularly flattering.

Youll notice I've complimented you on your intelligence before. Just a few posts previous in fact. Intelligence, however, only speaks to what you are capable of. But not having the requisite knowledge and training, intelligence can only help you if you are willing to learn what you haven't yet learned, and once you have the skills, then you have to look at the data without the hindrance of a preconceived notion of what the right answer has to be.

Until then, your best bet would be to say something like, "this makes sense to me, why do you not find it convincing"

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-20-2019, 01:29 PM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Thanks for the update.

The scream you may have heard was the result of my computer once again dumping everything and the Typio Form recovery was able to restore all of the first sentence but not the four paragraphs after it. Not much help.

I had heard DiCaprio defended because it was said that he wasn't the only one who used the "eyebrow artist" as if she worked on a few others made a lot of difference

Anywho, DiCaprio does like to party on yachts, including his own and the $687 million 482' long one that he rented from Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (a UAE oil tycoon who lives in England) to attend the 2014 World Cup with less than two dozen friends. Apparently it isn't exactly energy efficient using thousands of gallons of diesel fuel per hour. He also likes to fly on private jets several times a month to various destinations in Europe and Asia. And yet he claims to live a "carbon neutral lifestyle."

As for Ruffalo, I should have said that he had his family flown to Australia to vacation on the Great Barrier Reef.

And I don't have a problem with people taking vacations. What I have a problem is people lecturing others to live a more austere lifestyle not doing so themselves.
                    While I think in principle its possible to fly a jet carbon neutrally, I doubt that is being done. I see your point, I just don't think its a strong one. Its an emotional argument from scandal.

Beyond I actually haven't worked out the carbon footprint set by politicians using private jets, and how much it is compared to air traffic in general. Due to the needs on time and security, some argument can be made that it's more problematic to limit that if its a sufficiently low footprint.

I believe most people wanna do something to help the environment. Its just that nobody wants to change how they live.

Comment

Backpedal, Chuck! right back into that car!

Let's return to the comment that started this new derail:

So yeah we were talking about "world problems" in the context of discussion forums.

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen, Chuck. Don't just make some assinine comment then try to backpedal away from it when called on it.
                      All those personal attacks and all those straw men for a statement as simple and true as:

Typing words sometimes solves problems or helps to solve problems.
                      Last edited by Charles; 08-20-2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• According to Travel Math, it's just under 14 hours from London to Nice.

I'm supposed to buy an electric car that is WAY overpriced and under preforming but they can't get an RV and pay a couple drivers? They need a freaking JET for a 14 hour trip?!

Yeah, no - you change your lifestyle before insisting I change mine.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          While I think in principle its possible to fly a jet carbon neutrally, I doubt that is being done. I see your point, I just don't think its a strong one. Its an emotional argument from scandal.

Beyond I actually haven't worked out the carbon footprint set by politicians using private jets, and how much it is compared to air traffic in general. Due to the needs on time and security, some argument can be made that it's more problematic to limit that if its a sufficiently low footprint.
                          I think the point is, if you are going to use such things then don't go preaching against other people using them. I hear ecology pundits complain about airplane pollution a lot. Great, so then don't go flying in planes. and if you do, then don't complain about others doing it.

I believe most people wanna do something to help the environment. Its just that nobody wants to change how they live.
                          I think that is it in a nutshell.

Comment

sure it is, you have to keep all that sweeping going. and pulling weeds, which seem to sprout everywhere when there is no grass.

My backyard is mostly "landscaped" - it was that way when I bought it. It has a small grassy area with a tree but the rest is a gravel path from one side to the other and various bushes surrounded by mulch. Most of my time is spent weeding that damn thing. The weeds grow in the mulch and in the dang gravel. I have to keep spraying roundup on the path and weeding around the bushes. I am about ready to concrete the whole back yard into a patio.
                            I did say 'after'.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              All those personal attacks and all those straw men for a statement as simple and true as:
                              Great Chuck, please tell us what problems you have solved on discussion boards? And I am not talking about riddles, games or your nannying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

I'm pretty sure it was Rogue who posted a study indicating that those who are most skeptical of global whatsits are also the most likely to have actually implemented such changes to their lifestyles.

But if you (general) are gonna preach, make sure you have all your eyes free of woody obstructions.

And yeah, when the preachers aren't practicing, it DOES bring their belief in what they preach into question - that is true of Christianity and anything else.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment