Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Straight Pride Parade Permit Submitted To City Of Modesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I've made the point numerous times that my sexual orientation is not what defines me, which is why I think it's dumb to be "proud of" a sexual orientation.
    Further, in the Christian worldview, pride is a vice, not a virtue.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Eggzackly, which is why I think it's, as I've stated before, an "aggravating factor" relative to the sin of homosexuality.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not a fan myself, but what do you guys think of the song God Bless the U.S.A. aka, Proud To Be An American?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Not a fan myself, but what do you guys think of the song God Bless the U.S.A. aka, Proud To Be An American?
          Well, I think I've made my thoughts on Christianity and nationalism/patriotism fairly clear on here in the past (and they've gone over like a lead balloon), so you can probably guess where I sit.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Not my style of music. I'm glad to be an American, but I'm increasingly disinclined to say I'm proud to be an American.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

As an American, they're kinda patriotic, as a Christian - my first allegiance is to Christ. And what OBP said.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My main association with the song is when I was a kid and my mom's favorite local talk show host played it repeatedly on the 4th of July just to annoy as many listeners as possible.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Well I think groups and sites that push "black pride" like the Black Lives Matter, and the Black Panthers are racist, so I think sites and groups like this that push "White Pride" are just as racist. Which that site clearly appears to be.
                  Why do you see "Black Lives Matter" as being racist?

Comment

Aren't there different ways you can take the word "pride"?

When a father says "I'm proud of my boy" I don't think he's committing the sin of Pride. I also don't think its a sin to have pride in being a human for instance. Because "pride" as a word here refers to different things. When its the sin of pride, isn't is more specifically referring vainglory? In holding yourself more than others, because of what you have achieved, or qualities you perceive yourself having that others don't, or in outright resisting the True and Good because you consider own values higher?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
                      Why do you see "Black Lives Matter" as being racist?
                      Their strident refusal to acknowledge that "all lives matter" is sort of a dead giveaway.

Just sayin'.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

When a father says "I'm proud of my boy" I don't think he's committing the sin of Pride. I also don't think its a sin to have pride in being a human for instance. Because "pride" as a word here refers to different things. When its the sin of pride, isn't is more specifically referring vainglory? In holding yourself more than others, because of what you have achieved, or qualities you perceive yourself having that others don't, or in outright resisting the True and Good because you consider own values higher?
                        I think there's a difference between that, and reflecting on a job well done, and other more sinful senses of the word, yes. What would be the point of taking pride in being a human, though?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

Sorta. I mean, by saying "I'm proud of my boy" isn't the father in a way referring to "qualities you perceive yourself having that others don't"?
                          sigpic

Comment

Sorta. I mean, by saying "I'm proud of my boy" isn't the father in a way referring to "qualities you perceive yourself having that others don't"?
                            I don't think this particular example is a good fit. A parent who is happy that his child is well behaved (which Proverbs does portray as a legitimate ambition) might reason in a sense that his good behavior is something that other children don't have, but on the other hand, he may have had something to do with that. I think it would be okay if one kept in mind that God had a hand in it and it wasn't his doing alone.

Comment

That's never what I've taken that to mean. Just that the Father delights in his son, and what his son is achieving. Or it's the same when a person after having worked hard for their grades, receives them and takes an appropriate amount of pleasure in the accomplishment. Or when a person is asked to supervise a project and is asked whether the person possesses the right skills, the person doesn't say "I don't know anything", that would be false.

I didn't mean it in the sense of "My son is doing excellently, unlikely your poor boy."

Comment

Their strident refusal to acknowledge that "all lives matter" is sort of a dead giveaway.

Just sayin'.
                                That's not what it's about. I used to think that too, and I definitely hear where you're coming from. Of course they acknowledge that all lives matter. That's a given. To emphasize that black lives matter is to acknowledge that there is an ongoing and historical disparity in how blacks have been treated by criminal justice and policing relative to whites. Statistics about routine police stops where all variables are held constant bear this out. Also incarceration rates and time served for the very same offenses also bear this out. To say "All Lives Matter" and leave it at that would be to leave unacknowledged this major disparity.

Comment