Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Credible Rape Claim Against Trump....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Nah, post #183 is as blatant a case of "whataboutism" as there is. I don't have a problem with "whataboutism," but if you're going to call out others for it, then it's only fair you get called out too.
    I don't see that. IOW, I suppose it might be possible to classify it as that, but it would be about the tamest form of it there is, not a 'blatent case of' it. Most of the time it's not just about pointing out common actions, it's about excusing the behavior of one by pointing out something similar was done by the other. Carpe isn't excusing anything. He's just saying it's a common problem.

Speaking of which, there is a sort of inverse whataboutism that happens a lot - at least towards myself. People often make the false assumption I might excuse some behavior in hillary or obama (or whoever) that I'm calling out in Trump. And that simply is not the case.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-01-2019, 03:46 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

What has you confused?

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        What has you confused?

Jim
        I had to read your post a couple of times to figure out where you wanted to insert historical/orthodox into Leonhard's sentence. I figure Adrift had the same problem
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I don't see that. IOW, I suppose it might be possible to classify it as that, but it would be about the tamest form of it there is, not a 'blatent case of' it. Most of the time it's not just about pointing out common actions, it's about excusing the behavior of one by pointing out something similar was done by the other. Carpe isn't excusing anything. He's just saying it's a common problem.
          That's the exact same sort of argument used by those that he charged with "whataboutism". I don't care that he's using a "whataboutism" (and implicitly or otherwise, he is using a "whataboutism"). I personally think the whole concept of "whataboutism," and calling people on it is silly. I care that carpe is being a bit of a hypocrite once again.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Speaking of which, there is a sort of inverse whataboutism that happens a lot - at least towards myself. People often make the false assumption I might excuse some behavior in hillary or obama (or whoever) that I'm calling out in Trump. And that simply is not the case.
          I agree, and I think that's unfair because you've stated often enough that you didn't/don't support the bad actions of Hillary and Obama, and the reason that you were silent during Obama's administration is because you simply weren't engaged in political topics at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            I had to read your post a couple of times to figure out where you wanted to insert historical/orthodox into Leonhard's sentence. I figure Adrift had the same problem
            Ok - I can see that. Sorry. Just trying to point out that I think that Trump is just doing what he has to do to court evangelical voters, Some form of Christian faith does not appear to be an integral part of who he actually is and likely will disappear if he no longer needs the evangelical vote. Whereas I think Buttigieg is a different situation. He and his denomination genuinely see him as a Christian, and his beliefs and actions in that regard are not likely to change with his political fortunes.

Jim

Comment

What has you confused?

Jim
              Are you saying that the shift should now be called "traditional" or "orthodox," or are you saying that Leonhard should have qualified his statement about Christians with "traditional/orthodox?"

Comment

• Good catch. I didn't actually read the transcript, I just listened to the podcast and then went to the transcript to quote portions I remembered them talking about. The "may" statement she made is also not one I'd count as likely to be true. Unless it's part of their normal speech pattern, when a person qualifies any statement at all, I'm suspicious of it. Example:

Me: Have any meth in your pockets?

Meth-head: None....that I know of.

lol.
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Not so sure about that Leonhard. There is a shift taking place. Perhaps you could add the term orthodox or historical. Again, I'm not advocating for it, but there is a significant rise in the mainstreamness of LBGT people that identify themselves as Christians and churches that are willing to accept them as is w/o asking them to change or remain celibate.

Jim
                  Yes, mainstream churches are getting more liberal, and appealing to those who don't want like the word "repent".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                    Me: Have any meth in your pockets?

Meth-head: None....that I know of.

lol.
                    Yeah, I always get a kick out of LivePD where they ask...

Am I going to find drugs or weapons in your vehicle?
                    "Well, um... you shouldn't!"

Then comes the "but it's my cousin's car...." or "my brother has been using the car the last couple weeks"....

I'm sure you've heard them all.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yes, mainstream churches are getting more liberal, and appealing to those who don't want like the word "repent".
                      I'm sure it's entirely coincidental that their membership numbers are tanking.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Nah, post #183 is as blatant a case of "whataboutism" as there is. I don't have a problem with "whataboutism," but if you're going to call out others for it, then it's only fair you get called out too.
                        We'll have to agree to disagree...

Unless you'd like to disagree about that too!
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I'm sure it's entirely coincidental that their membership numbers are tanking.
                          I just a quick check, and membership numbers appear to be down for Episcopalians, Southern Baptists (lowest in 30 years) and Catholics. Of the three, only the Episcopal church, AFAIK, has embraced the LGBTQ community. Perhaps the decline has more to do with reduced emphasis on religion in general, and not necessarily with the LGBQT issue? I can't find enough detailed numbers to do a cross comparison on percentages between sects, so it's hard to say more.

Just a thought.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            I just a quick check, and membership numbers appear to be down for Episcopalians, Southern Baptists (lowest in 30 years) and Catholics. Of the three, only the Episcopal church, AFAIK, has embraced the LGBTQ community. Perhaps the decline has more to do with reduced emphasis on religion in general, and not necessarily with the LGBQT issue? I can't find enough detailed numbers to do a cross comparison on percentages between sects, so it's hard to say more.

Just a thought.
                            The Methodists are not far behind the Episcopal Church in going the liberal route. And part (probably pretty small) of the SBC decline is that many SBC Churches are disassociating with the name SBC because of the history of racism, and/or simply because they're going more "non-denominational" - such as Cowboy Churches or Bible Churches.

Comment

Are you saying that the shift should now be called "traditional" or "orthodox," or are you saying that Leonhard should have qualified his statement about Christians with "traditional/orthodox?"
                              The latter.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                The Methodists are not far behind the Episcopal Church in going the liberal route. And part (probably pretty small) of the SBC decline is that many SBC Churches are disassociating with the name SBC because of the history of racism, and/or simply because they're going more "non-denominational" - such as Cowboy Churches or Bible Churches.
                                Yep. Pew, Gallup and General Social Survey all indicate that while Mainline churches (United Methodists, Episcopalians, and American Baptists) have seen "tremendous declines over the last 40 years", Evangelicals have largely remained the same size. Nones (religiously unaffiliated) are growing exponentially though. For some of the latest numbers, Christianity Today has a good article on the subject here.

Comment