Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Guy Beat, Raped, Shot, and Buried Alive a 19 Year Old Girl. Guess Who's The Victim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I believe the consistent Christian view of incarceration should be for the purpose of protection of society, not for extracting revenge, as per Romans 12:19.
    Paul is not giving instructions on running a government in 12:19. It tells Christians to refrain from vigilantism and has no bearing on what the government should do. Romans 13:1-4 OTOH deals specifically with the role of the state and punishment (which is just vengeance enacted on behalf of a citizen by a lawful authority) is, in fact, a duty of the state.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      Paul is not giving instructions on running a government in 12:19. It tells Christians to refrain from vigilantism and has no bearing on what the government should do. Romans 13:1-4 OTOH deals specifically with the role of the state and punishment (which is just vengeance enacted on behalf of a citizen by a lawful authority) is, in fact, a duty of the state.
      Amen!

Comment

The state didn't match cruelty for cruelty. If it had they would have brought in some other men to rape him, then shot him and buried him alive. Though I'm a bit iffy on what you mean when you say it's the state's job to ensure justice, but that it would not be justice to match cruelty for cruelty. Isn't that what justice is, making sure the punishment fits the crime? I don't see how a slow agonizing death isn't a fit punishment for a slow agonizing death.

A firing squad with modern weapon improvements would solve this problem. Maybe sell him to Lockheed Martin for some live testing of new weapon prototypes. I can think of worse ways to go out than having the honor of being the first man killed by a rail gun or smart gun getting ready for mass production.
        Guns are messy. Who would want to clean up the mess?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Well, the ones who put "cruel and unusual punishment" in the constitution had no problem with the death penalty. In fact, the most popular types of executions when the country was founded were 1) Hanging, 2) Breaking on the wheel. and 3) Firing squad.
          Remind me again, how hanging someone, or shooting someone in the head, is more "Cruel or unusual" than injecting poison into their veins? Seriously, the fact that people see a problem with the former, and not the latter, is just ridiculous.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Pretty sure a guy convulsing painfully for 40 minutes would improve its value as a deterrent.
            Nah, no matter what you do, it never works as a deterrent unless people can actually see it happen. I remember my friend's uncle saw a hanging when he was a little kid. Then, every time he got so mad that he wanted to hit someone, he just remembered that guy's corpse hanging from the gallows, and that would stop him.
            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              How about finding out what the guys who actually WROTE the clause had in mind instead?
              Oh, no, you see, the Constitution is a "living document". It has to be interpreted differently with the different times.....you know, like no other document, ever.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

I read that hypoxia with nitrogen and argon would be a painless, nonmessy way to do it. Why don't they do that instead of a shot?
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  I read that hypoxia with nitrogen and argon would be a painless, nonmessy way to do it. Why don't they do that instead of a shot?
                  I heard that a rope snapping your neck, instantly, or a bullet in the brain, would be an even quicker and painless way to do it. Not as expensive as well.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    Guns are messy. Who would want to clean up the mess?
                    It would certainly provide some more jobs.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                      If capital punishments were painful and public there would be socially beneficial deterrent. Like the guillotines.
                      I can't imagine a much less painful method than instantly severing every nerve ending below the neck. Although I hear that carbon monoxide and hypothermia are painless ways to go.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I can't imagine a much less painful method than instantly severing every nerve ending below the neck. Although I hear that carbon monoxide and hypothermia are painless ways to go.
                        There was a 1995 National Review article basically proposing nitrogen asphyxiation, which would apparently be very similar. It made a good case but I don't think it's online anymore.

I think Teal is right that the anti death penalty people who have been blocking off the supply of the drugs are basically responsible for what happened in Oklahoma (and there was another botched execution in Ohio a year or so ago as well). But it seems they may well get what they want; from an objective point of view, I think I can see this leading to an indefinite moratorium.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

shoot them in the head
                          The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Humane Execution isn't that hard. The drugs are actually cheap. One's a mineral, the other is a common generic surgery drug.
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                              Humane Execution isn't that hard. The drugs are actually cheap. One's a mineral, the other is a common generic surgery drug.
                              But suppliers are starting to specifically refuse to deliver to prisons; thus prisons buying on the black market, which is incredibly risky.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yup. Time to get a new drug combo, but still not as hard as one would think. There are others that are equally effective........
                                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                                George Bernard Shaw

Comment