Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Mueller Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Unfortunately, your analysis of my reply is a clear indication of your own incapacity for objectivity OBP.
    A) Everybody ELSE is unobjective
    2) You are being gaslighted

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      How so? Give me an objective analysis of my reply.
      I have been accused of not being objective because of my passion over the issue of not compromising moral principles in ones support of a political figure. I answered that this way. First I recognize that I can't claim to be perfectly objective. No one can (much the same as you do below). But that one measure of objectivity is the capacity to hear an argument that shows one is wrong and then back down, admit one was wrong. So while I can't claim perfect objectivity, I can show that I have shown myself to be MORE objective than MM. And I can do so by pointing out the fact that there are a good many instances on this website where I have been shown I am wrong and I have publicly backed down and admitted I was wrong. OTOH, MM has never(or very nearly never) done so. And then I show an example where there can be no subjective confusion over the fact he was wrong, and yet he would not, could not, and never did admit he was wrong.

So where you then show your own lack of objectivity in this case is by the lack of capacity to show that one has understood a point by reflecting back a non distorted summary of that point. One can't objectively evaluate the point another person has made if one can't reflect that point back in a way that is equivalent to the original.

Oh, I can hardly claim true objectivity here; I merely aspire to it. Political discussions tend to be the very antithesis of objective; this is true of all sides in a typical debate. I don't recall "hammering on how bad you are as a person" however, so perhaps you're not referring to me in that regard.
      No - I am not referring to you. And I will try to keep your aspiration in mind if I see something from you that strikes me as not being objective. That should make it easier for both of us to discuss whatever it is.

Jim
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-02-2019, 03:02 PM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        A) Everybody ELSE is unobjective
        2) You are being gaslighted

2 is simple to show - apply the definition.

gaslighting: manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.

The entire TDS sideline is an attempt at gaslighting.

1 is a mischaracterization of what I said, which by definition demonstrates your own lack of objectivity. To be objective, you must be able to reflect back the other person's point without distorting it.

Jim
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-02-2019, 03:08 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

2 is simple to show - apply the definition. The entire TDS sideline is gaslighting.

1 is a mischaracterization of what I said, which by definition demonstrates your own lack of objectivity. To be objective, you must be able to reflect back the other person's point without distorting it.

Jim
          You're right, Jim.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You're right, Jim.
            thanks!

Jim

Comment

2 is simple to show - apply the definition.

gaslighting: manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.

The entire TDS sideline is an attempt at gaslighting.
              No it isn't. TDS has nothing to do with your sanity and everything to do with obsessing over specific traits.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I can't claim perfect objectivity, I can show that I have shown myself to be MORE objective than MM. And I can do so by pointing out the fact that there are a good many instances on this website where I have been shown I am wrong and I have publicly backed down and admitted I was wrong. OTOH, MM has never(or very nearly never) done so. And then I show an example where there can be no subjective confusion over the fact he was wrong, and yet he would not, could not, and never did admit he was wrong.
                Seriously, man, you're losing it. You're almost as obsessed with me as you are with Trump.

Maybe I'll do you a favor and put you on ignore just so I don't ever respond to you and perpetuate your psychosis.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Everybody ELSE is unobjective

Jim
                  Jim, you just told CP that his accusation was a mischaracterization of what you said, then you turn around and accuse him of not being objective. Just like you did OBP a few posts ago.

You realize CP was just being hyperbolic, right? a bit of sarcasm?

Comment

And then I show an example where there can be no subjective confusion over the fact he was wrong, and yet he would not, could not, and never did admit he was wrong.
                    A problem with your example is that MM was very much not alone in his rejection of your explanation; either everyone but you was similarly non-objective, or perhaps your "simple facts" were neither as "simple" or "factual" as you allege. Just sayin'.
                    So where you then show your own lack of objectivity in this case is by the lack of capacity to show that one has understood a point by reflecting back a non distorted summary of that point. One can't objectively evaluate the point another person has made if one can't reflect that point back in a way that is equivalent to the original.
                    Perhaps you could have challenged me to do that before assuming I "clearly" could not - for it is fairly evident that my reply was not intended to make an attempt at doing that. Inflammatory and hyperbolic language is a more than sufficient indication of a lack of objectivity. That you are apparently unaware of using inflammatory language and think that your language is not at all hyperbolic is why I questioned your own objectivity.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Maybe I'll do you a favor and put you on ignore just so I don't ever respond to you and perpetuate your psychosis.
                      TBH, that would do all of us a favor. It's not as if either of you is likely to convince the other of anything.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I am not objective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          No it isn't. TDS has nothing to do with your sanity and everything to do with obsessing over specific traits.
                          obsession is itself a type of insanity.

There is also the fact it is a pseudo-diagnosis, as in mental illness, as in not mentally well.

When you dismiss a person's objection as "TDS", you are saying that they are not mentally stable, they have a mental illness and thus their objections can be summarily dismissed.

Further, you'd like them to believe the same thing so they will doubt their own objectivity or sanity in evaluating Trump's actions -> gaslighting.

NOT gaslighting, not trying to manipulate the person by implicitly casting doubt on their sanity, would be to discuss the issues and show them, objectively, why their concerns are not valid or are based on false information.

Jim
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-02-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Seriously, man, you're losing it. You're almost as obsessed with me as you are with Trump.

Not really talking about you MM. I was explaining a different post that was misunderstood where I was talking about you.

Putting me on ignore would be great! Then I don't have to watch you distort almost everything I say when you reply to me! Please DO!

Jim

Comment

• Ox, I'm really starting to think that you'd be better off withdrawing from Civics. For the past year, you have become more frustrated than not and with that an increased levels of belligerence. I'd be more than happy to discuss theology, literature, film or any topic of your choosing that doesn't involve President Trump or other political topics.
                              I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Jim, you just told CP that his accusation was a mischaracterization of what you said, then you turn around and accuse him of not being objective. Just like you did OBP a few posts ago.

You realize CP was just being hyperbolic, right? a bit of sarcasm?
                                yep.

(1) (discounting sarcasm) being unable to reflect back the other person's argument without distortion makes objectivity impossible.

(2) Am I not allowed my own sarcasm in my reply to a sarcastic comment?

Jim

Comment