Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jussie Smollett: MAGA Attack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    That would depend on the context, wouldn't it? If you interact with people who share your values and agree with you then you're going to get a different reaction from them than you would in a context where your ideas are constantly challenged by those with an opposing worldview.
    Lemme give carpe a sample size of two: He has often claimed to hang out with others (in life and on Facebook) who do not share his values.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Man, 81, Wearing Red MAGA Hat Assaulted Inside New Jersey Shop Rite, Prosecutors Say

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02...a-hat-assault/
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

That would depend on the context, wouldn't it? If you interact with people who share your values and agree with you then you're going to get a different reaction from them than you would in a context where your ideas are constantly challenged by those with an opposing worldview.
        I interact with people across the political and religious spectrum, MM. Indeed, since early 2017, I have explicitly sought to expand my engagement in venues where I get to hear "the other side," and discuss it with those who disagree with me. My observation was that many of the personal observations I get here I ONLY get here. Not all of them - but a significant percentage.
        Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-26-2019, 03:58 PM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Very well. No one's ever made that observation about me before, and you're basing it here on a sample size of one. On reflection, I do on rare occasions stick up for others, regardless of whether I tend to agree with them. I spend very little time "explaining" (not a word I would use to characterize my remarks about anyone) you - especially as it seems to have no effect whatsoever (I also don't ever recall anyone saying, "no, no, you've got carpe all wrong here", but please correct me if I'm in error on that).
          Well - the only person I can think of who has done that here in any way shape or form was CP - who voiced at least some amount of support in one of the many pile-ons* that has occurred. But he's the only one here. I've been complimented on my clarity by Max (once). That's about it. Most of the rest of the comments come from a consistent handful: you, Rogue, MM, Pix, Sparko, Mossrose, and (occasionally) CP. At last those are the "regulars" on the "anti-carpe bus" that I can think of.

As I said - I'll consider what is said - evaluate it against other messages I get - and against my own internal sense. I'll adjust if it seems necessary. I don't if it doesn't. I certainly am not going to start making massive shifts on the basis of a few people who are disgruntled with my opinions or ways of expressing them. I'll act on what seems relevant.

And kudos to you for this response. I have to admit it was not what I was expecting. I'll have to adjust my expectations.

*just to note, I don't use "pile-ons" as a complaint or a whine - just an observation of the dynamic that occasionally happens here. It has been happening a lot less lately because I have taken to cutting out personal attacks from the quotes when I respond, so I can focus on the substantive arguments being made. I find it short-circuits the pile-ons significantly.
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-26-2019, 03:56 PM.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Lemme give carpe a sample size of two: He has often claimed to hang out with others (in life and on Facebook) who do not share his values.
            I think I'm not understanding your "sample size."

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              I think I'm not understanding your "sample size."
              You noted a tendency for me to "explain" others in response to a post where I defended rogue06, but didn't cite any other examples, that's all.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I interact with people across the political and religious spectrum, MM. Indeed, since early 2017, I have explicitly sought to expand my engagement in venues where I get to hear "the other side," and discuss it with those who disagree with me. My observation was that many of the personal observations I get here I ONLY get here. Not all of them - but a significant percentage.
                This also happens to be a debate forum where differences of opinion tend to be more pronounced and the center point of any discussion.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You noted a tendency for me to "explain" others in response to a post where I defended rogue06, but didn't cite any other examples, that's all.
                  Got it... thanks for the clarification.

Comment

This also happens to be a debate forum where differences of opinion tend to be more pronounced and the center point of any discussion.
                    That is true for many of the sites I frequent. Believe it or not, they think I'm a conservative nutcase on the "strongly left" sites. I get attacked for my views on abortion, taxation, free markets and capitalism, and a host of other topics. Debate is not solely the province of this site, MM.

Comment

Believe it or not, they think I'm a conservative nutcase on the "strongly left" sites.
                      You're not as far left as the likes of Starlight or JimL, so believe it or not, I can believe it.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You're not as far left as the likes of Starlight or JimL, so believe it or not, I can believe it.
                        I believe it

Comment

That is true for many of the sites I frequent. Believe it or not, they think I'm a conservative nutcase on the "strongly left" sites. I get attacked for my views on abortion, taxation, free markets and capitalism, and a host of other topics. Debate is not solely the province of this site, MM.
                          Wait... you are a forum whore? You are not allowed to frequent other forums!! Bad Carp!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Wait... you are a forum whore? You are not allowed to frequent other forums!! Bad Carp!!
                            A forum whore?

Comment

A forum whore?
                              yeah. A tart. Going around having unsanctioned relationships with other web forums. Cheating on Theologyweb!

The nerve!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                yeah. A tart. Going around having unsanctioned relationships with other web forums. Cheating on Theologyweb!

The nerve!
                                Well... at least I'm having fun...

Comment