Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jussie Smollett: MAGA Attack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    And you continue to make my point...

Meanwhile, I cannot find anything to confirm your response. I am finding enormous coverage of the 2017 incident - largely because of the Facebook component, and enormous coverage of the Smollet incident. I have not looked up the video coverage - so my response is based on what I am finding online.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• You said that before. I just can't confirm any of it. When I search for the topic, I get the results of the trial, and not the coverage that occurred when the issue first surfaced. So I can neither confirm nor refute your claim. I do know that you are hyper-focused on this "MSM is bad/biased" theme, and have posted extensively on it. You also post pretty much exclusively about how the left victimizes the right, and never about how the right victimizes the left. So your objectivity is, at the very least, in question.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Saw a video of that taken from someone's camera standing off to the side: Leftist Violence at UC Berkeley

And around the same time Woman charged with assaulting man wearing MAGA hat at Falmouth restaurant

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You said that before. I just can't confirm any of it. When I search for the topic, I get the results of the trial, and not the coverage that occurred when the issue first surfaced. So I can neither confirm nor refute your claim. I do know that you are hyper-focused on this "MSM is bad/biased" theme, and have posted extensively on it. You also post pretty much exclusively about how the left victimizes the right, and never about how the right victimizes the left. So your objectivity is, at the very least, in question.
          The rogueish one is no more "hyper-focused" on this than he is on any other topic which interests him.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Out of curiosity, you (and others) tend to talk as if the MSM is some coordinated thing executing on a narrative in some collaborative way. Is that what you actually think?
            I doubt it is "coordinated" in the sense of some actual... "collusion" .

I think it is more along the lines that the MSM largely has a shared worldview and agenda, existing apart from any sort of intentional coordination.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              The rogueish one is no more "hyper-focused" on this than he is on any other topic which interests him.
              You know, OBP, you have a tendency to explain other people. Have you ever noticed that? I just realized that. Maybe explains why you spend as much time as you do explaining me.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                I doubt it is "coordinated" in the sense of some actual... "collusion" .
                Now THAT was funny!

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                I think it is more along the lines that the MSM largely has a shared worldview and agenda, existing apart from any sort of intentional coordination.
                You mean like Fox, Brietbart, the Federalist, the Washington Examiner, the Daily Wire, the Blaze, The Drudge Report, the National Review, the Weekly Standard, etc., etc.?

As I have said many times, I have found the NEWS reporting from the main media outlets (Fox, CNN, ABC, MSNBC, CBS, BBC, WP, WSJ, NYT, etc.) to be pretty much at par. If I didn't know the voices and the opening music, I don't think I would be able to say which hourly news podcast was from which outlet. Where they differ is the "talking heads." There they skew left or right. Even MBFC's chart shows more outlets on the left side of the line than on the right. Unlike the outlets listed above, which have a defined objective to promote their political agenda - there is no such explicitly defined or coordinated objective in the other outlets that I can find. It is a fact that more journalists are left leaning than right. It is a fact that the infusion of money into news-related programming creates a "chase the money" dynamic. It is a fact that there are more left-leaning people in the country than right. And it is a fact that the right tends to eschew the MSM outlets in favor of their preferred political brand. The result: the other outlets tend to emphasize news stories that get them the rest of the eyes. This combination of circumstances is why you find all of the main outlets somewhere to the left of center.

Want it to be different? Get the right to start watching these outlets. Get more of young people who are "right-leaning" to go into journalism school. Instead of so many on the right constantly complaining about it, do something to change the facts that lead to the outcome. It is not my impression that complaining has done much for the right (concerning this or any other issue) for a while.

Comment

You know, OBP, you have a tendency to explain other people. Have you ever noticed that? I just realized that. Maybe explains why you spend as much time as you do explaining me.
                  That's an interesting observation, but incorrect. From my perspective, I tend to contest incorrect characterizations of other people (whether I tend to agree with them or not), like this one. I don't do it all that often. You have no idea how badly I wanted to comment further on that post, but further comment wouldn't have been any more productive than what I did say.

By the bye, Lent is approaching, and I'm about burnt out on Civics for a while anyway. I probably won't be posting much for a while.
                  Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-26-2019, 08:08 AM.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    That's an interesting observation, but incorrect. From my perspective, I tend to contest incorrect characterizations of other people (whether I tend to agree with them or not), like this one. I don't do it all that often. You have no idea how badly I wanted to comment further on that post, but further comment wouldn't have been any more productive than what I did say.
                    You know, when someone here makes an observation about me, and I respond that I don't think it is accurate, I am told that I "lack self-reflection." Just saying...

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    By the bye, Lent is approaching, and I'm about burnt out on Civics for a while anyway. I probably won't be posting much for a while.
                    Understood. Enjoy your season.

Comment

You know, when someone here makes an observation about me, and I respond that I don't think it is accurate, I am told that I "lack self-reflection." Just saying...
                      If more than one person makes that observation then just maybe there is something to it.

Just sayin'

Comment

If more than one person makes that observation then just maybe there is something to it.

Just sayin'
                        I look for the point of commonality. If I hear the same thing from multiple voices in multiple contexts, I suspect it is me. That happens now and then. When I hear it from multiple voices in one context, I don't hear it in other contexts, and I spot-check on the observation to see if anyone else has a similar observation (in other contexts) and get a "no," then the commonality is no longer me: it's the context.

My experience is that the observations that happen here happen only here and nowhere else I engage - personally or online. I conclude there is something about this site that fosters this perspective. That doesn't mean I won't reflect on what is said to see if it rings true for me - but if it does not, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep about it.

Comment

I look for the point of commonality.
                          Of course it is. I mean it just couldn't possibly, ever be you

Comment

Of course it is. I mean it just couldn't possibly, ever be you
                            I don't believe I said that at any point. If you believe I did - please note exactly where I conveyed that concept.

ETA: Actually - a better response would be: that is actually untrue. There are things I have been accused of here that I get from other places as well - and they ring true for me internally. Ergo, I conclude it is me. Verbosity is one of them. My tendency to sometimes wander into broad-brush statements is another. My practice of not reading every post in a thread is a third. And my habit (though it is getting better) of saying, "last word to you" and then adding another thought is a fourth.

There are several things I am rightly accused of here. I know that because I hear it in other places, and the accusations ring true.

The ones that don't - don't
                            Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-26-2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I look for the point of commonality. If I hear the same thing from multiple voices in multiple contexts, I suspect it is me. That happens now and then. When I hear it from multiple voices in one context, I don't hear it in other contexts, and I spot-check on the observation to see if anyone else has a similar observation (in other contexts) and get a "no," then the commonality is no longer me: it's the context.

My experience is that the observations that happen here happen only here and nowhere else I engage - personally or online. I conclude there is something about this site that fosters this perspective. That doesn't mean I won't reflect on what is said to see if it rings true for me - but if it does not, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep about it.
                              That would depend on the context, wouldn't it? If you interact with people who share your values and agree with you then you're going to get a different reaction from them than you would in a context where your ideas are constantly challenged by those with an opposing worldview.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Very well. No one's ever made that observation about me before, and you're basing it here on a sample size of one. On reflection, I do on rare occasions stick up for others, regardless of whether I tend to agree with them. I spend very little time "explaining" (not a word I would use to characterize my remarks about anyone) you - especially as it seems to have no effect whatsoever (I also don't ever recall anyone saying, "no, no, you've got carpe all wrong here", but please correct me if I'm in error on that).
                                sigpic

Comment