Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Corrosion of Conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Speaking just for myself - I understand the initial vote.

What I don't understand is the blind, accepting, cheering, ongoing support from so much of his base. I would think the moral approach would be, "accept the least of two evils, then hold the "evil" you accepted to account."
    I'm on record as opposing a lot of what he says, and suggesting somebody hijack his twitter account. That doesn't stop the local idiots who still scream "you're a TRUMP SUPPORTER!!!!!"

The second half doesn't seem to be happening.
    Not all of us are thrilled with Trump's conduct, and not all of us are cheering him on.

To me, he often does the right thing in the most jackass way.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      No. the other choice (Hillary) was even more immoral and had less integrity.
      I am not talking only about voting. I am talking about continued support for the man, the excuses. The idea that this can all be justified by pointing to Hillary is a great example of the sell out of moral values and integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I'm still waiting for someone to tell us Christian what the morally "acceptable" choice would have been.
        To not vote for either of the losers.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          I am not talking only about voting. I am talking about continued support for the man, the excuses.
          Hold on, you're about to destroy your own point....

The idea that this can all be justified by pointing to Hillary is a great example of the sell out of moral values and integrity.
          I voted for Trump, but I'm not a fan --- is that part of the "this"?

Lemme type really slowly..... It's not just "pointing to Hillary", it's attempting to keep her and her culture of death out of the White House. Hillary is not POTUS and SCOTUS is not Hillary's! Check.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
            To not vote for either of the losers.
            Good, because I voted for the winner!
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm on record as opposing a lot of what he says, and suggesting somebody hijack his twitter account. That doesn't stop the local idiots who still scream "you're a TRUMP SUPPORTER!!!!!"
              The statement I made was "so much of his base," not "CP and his cronies." But I do understand many here are painting you with that brush. Having been painted with many brushes that don't apply, I sympathize.

Not all of us are thrilled with Trump's conduct, and not all of us are cheering him on.

To me, he often does the right thing in the most jackass way.
              Again - I didn't single any particular person out. But there are a lot of people at his rallies that I think could benefit from a bit of self-reflection, given what they tend to cheer for. And there are a lot of people online and on-air that could benefit from the same. And I absolutely do not understand the positions taken by so many evangelicals.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The statement I made was "so much of his base," not "CP and his cronies."
                Yes, mister pedantic.

But I do understand many here are painting you with that brush. Having been painted with many brushes that don't apply, I sympathize.
                OK, you're unpedanticated.

Comment

Yes, mister pedantic.
                  That's "Mr. Pedantic, Sir" - to you!

OK, you're unpedanticated.
                  Oh... cool word!
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

This is what amazes me - that these ... um... people... can't seem to fathom that the choice was rather binary, and given the information we had at the time, Hillary and her culture of death was a much WORSE choice for us. I think they're just so anit-Trump that their thinking is corrupt on this.
                    Yeah. First, they imagine Trump to be "literally Hitler" without any evidence and then they question how in the world could we vote for Hitler?

It's a strawman argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I'm still waiting for someone to tell us Christian what the morally "acceptable" choice would have been.
                      I am sure they think we should have just not voted at all so they could have gotten Hillary in. It's the, "I can beat you up because you have to turn the other cheek" type of thinking.

Comment

Speaking just for myself - I understand the initial vote.

What I don't understand is the blind, accepting, cheering, ongoing support from so much of his base. I would think the moral approach would be, "accept the least of two evils, then hold the 'evil' you accepted to account."

The second half doesn't seem to be happening.

This is why I say what I say about citizenship. I understand it happening once - as a consequence of circumstance and even knee-jerk anger. But if we re-elect the same vile man twice, when there are so many possible alternatives, then this is no longer the country I grew up in.
                        What evil has Trump committed that we should take him to account since being President? Everything we hear is rumors about what he did in the past and calling him a liar. And checking, most of those lies are hyperbole, figures of speech, or him misspeaking.

He hasn't had any affairs as President, he hasn't broken any laws. All he has done is try to make the economy better (so far so good) and keep his campaign promises. Just because YOU and the other liberals don't like who he puts into the Supreme Court or that he wants to build a wall doesn't make him evil.

Comment

What evil has Trump committed that we should take him to account since being President?
                          Wow, Sparko. Really?
                          • He paid off two prostitutes during his campaign and lied about it.
                          • He calls names and strikes out for vengeance endlessly
                          • He models bullying and ridicule for anyone to see
                          • He lies at the drop of a hat - repeatedly and often
                          • He has subverted our relationship with critical allies, putting national security at risk
                          • He has cozied-up to strongman dictators, praising them, and even saluting their generals (I would have loved to see the purple faces if Obama had ever done such a thing)
                          • His prioritizing of money over justice related to Khashoggi's murder
                          • He is a threat to the entire world by his refusal to even look at our current climate situation
                          • His policy of separating children from their parents at the southern border - and thousands of children remain separated.
                          • His knee-jerk military decisions in Syria and the middle east.
                          • His handling of the Charlottesville incident
                          • His continual undermining of the 4th Estate

I could continue...but I suspect each and every one will be excused away (and I'm sure some of them you are even proud of), so I'm not sure why I should bother. And I am not sure why "during his presidency" is the boundary? He has been misogynistic for most of his public career. He has cheated on three wives. He has made repugnant comments about his own daughter. He has lied, cheated and bullied his way through his businesses. The list just goes on and on.

Everything we hear is rumors about what he did in the past and calling him a liar. And checking, most of those lies are hyperbole, figures of speech, or him misspeaking.
                          No - but I will admit that Trump is highly gifted at "spinning" what he says to be almost anything he wants. He plays with language like no politician I have ever seen - and his base accepts every "spin" as gospel and laps it up.

He hasn't had any affairs as President, he hasn't broken any laws.
                          That we know of...yet.

All he has done is try to make the economy better (so far so good) and keep his campaign promises.
                          Horse hockey. I'm not so gullible, Sparko. Trump inherited an economy well on its way to repair, and goosed it with the nitrous of a tax bill for the rich and businesses. We are already seeing that nitrous petering out, and the entire thing was at the cost of $1T in additional deficit spending. Anyone can "superheat" an economy by pumping $1T worth of borrowed dollars into it. Your "great economy," which is showing every sign of beginning to cool is going to be paid for by our grandchildren and their children.

Just because YOU and the other liberals don't like who he puts into the Supreme Court or that he wants to build a wall doesn't make him evil.
                          Who he put on SCOTUS has nothing to do with it. It's not even on my list. The wall has nothing to do with it. Not even on my list.

Comment

Wow, Sparko. Really?
                            • He paid off two prostitutes during his campaign and lied about it.
                            • He calls names and strikes out for vengeance endlessly
                            • He models bullying and ridicule for anyone to see
                            • He lies at the drop of a hat - repeatedly and often
                            • He has subverted our relationship with critical allies, putting national security at risk
                            • He has cozied-up to strongman dictators, praising them, and even saluting their generals (I would have loved to see the purple faces if Obama had ever done such a thing)
                            • His prioritizing of money over justice related to Khashoggi's murder
                            • He is a threat to the entire world by his refusal to even look at our current climate situation
                            • His policy of separating children from their parents at the southern border - and thousands of children remain separated.
                            • His knee-jerk military decisions in Syria and the middle east.
                            • His handling of the Charlottesville incident
                            • His continual undermining of the 4th Estate

I could continue...but I suspect each and every one will be excused away (and I'm sure some of them you are even proud of),...
                            Personally, I have not interest in "excusing away" Trump's conduct, and there's no reason to be proud of your slightly exaggerated examples...

I could make a similar list concerning the alternative - Hillary - along with one of her main campaign promises regarding the culture of death, and her assurance that she would appoint SCOTUS justices who supported her culture of death mindset.

It was a choice - a horrible choice of the lesser of two evils. I'm ready for Trump to be done, but I'm glad Hillary never got started.

Comment

Personally, I have not interest in "excusing away" Trump's conduct, and there's no reason to be proud of your slightly exaggerated examples...

I could make a similar list concerning the alternative - Hillary - along with one of her main campaign promises regarding the culture of death, and her assurance that she would appoint SCOTUS justices who supported her culture of death mindset.

It was a choice - a horrible choice of the lesser of two evils. I'm ready for Trump to be done, but I'm glad Hillary never got started.
                              I'm curious which you thought were "slightly exaggerated?"

Comment

I'm curious which you thought were "slightly exaggerated?"
                                The second one, for example... "He calls names and strikes out for vengeance endlessly"... that's obviously a slight exaggeration. Had you said "routinely"...

Comment