Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fake News; Buzz Feed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    When I entered the discussion, the topic was the MAGA hat wearing kids.

It wasn't 'fake news'. It was news, but the news was generated by a video edited to show one specific point of view. That video WAS distorted and biassed. But it made the news and prompted a response.
    I think one of the problems was that the media didn't want to check to see if what they were reporting was true because they wanted it to be true. This story fit perfectly into their biases. The students were in effect the bad guys straight from central casting. They are white. They are male. They are Catholic. They are pro-life. And [*shudder*] they wore MAGA caps. Perhaps the mentality was best expressed by Joy Behar on The View when she matter-of-factly said in response to Whoopi Goldberg's question about how did the media get it so wrong: "Because we're desperate to get Trump out of office. That's why."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
      It wasn't 'fake news'.
      If it wasn't then the liberal media wouldn't have had to retract it.

Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
      It was news, but the news was generated by a video edited to show one specific point of view. That video WAS distorted and biassed.
      Of course it was, and that was fairly obvious to anybody who watched the excerpt. The problem is that CNN and others were studiously disinterested in digging for context and challenging the initial anti-Trump narrative. It wasn't until reputable sources like Breitbart started challenging the narrative that CNN was forced to do some actual journalism in order to save face. But by then the damage was done, and now there are a lot of people out there who are only aware of the lies and never heard the truth, or they'll do like carpe and try to reconcile the lies with the truth in a way that will still allow them to blame innocent 16-year old kids for the incident simply because they're desperate to hang onto the original anti-Trump narrative.

When it comes to CNN and the liberal media in general, we are not dealing with honest people and lovers of the truth. Appropriately enough, this came across my "news feed" this morning:

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is rule for liberal "journalists" rather than the exception.

The headline for the story is perhaps the most unsurprising headline I've ever seen at Breitbart: "Jim Acosta Peddled Slime". You don't say.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• As for the false personal attacks that make up the remainder of your post, I might care if they weren't coming from a bald-faced hypocrite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          As for the false personal attacks that make up the remainder of your post, I might care if they weren't coming from a bald-faced hypocrite.
          They are simple statements of fact. You have mocked every person or group of people that whom I have raised as being a victim of the sort of harassment from Trump or Trump supporters that you now claim to care about in the MAGA hat kid. And if you care to challenge that statement, I am prepared to go through the threads I have posted in where you have done exactly that and pull out your mockery post after post.

What was directed at the MAGA hat kid and anyone else that is a victim of the rarefied and polarized atmosphere we now find ourselves in, and which Donald Trump is the poster boy for, is wrong. Yes, we find this sort of thing hurled at people like the Baker in Colorado because he wouldn't bake a gay wedding cake for religious reasons, we find it hurled at men that dare speak the truth about the basic differences between male and female sexual attraction, we find it hurled at anyone that would dare consider that there are prejudiced black people, or that sometimes racism is used as a tool to manipulate rather that an actual issue. But we also find it the method of choice by one POTUS to settle trivial and personal matters in a public way. And we find it being used to suppress minority votes and to oppress gay people and to quiet people speaking out against big buisiness abuse of the envrionment. We find it EVERYWHERE. And the difference today is that instead of seeking to find common ground or to defuse these issues or to be voices of peace and love, we find CHRISTIANS siding with and echoing the voices of chaos and violence found under Donald Trump's wing. THAT is the difference we face right now. That the Evangelical community, as increasingly evidenced by those same voices on THIS website. And your mockery of people targetted by Donald Trump is a very good example.

You like to call me a hypocrite because I call out sin even though I also am also sinner. Better that than to mock those that strive to be good and that call out abuse and hatred. You mock goodness MM. That is the bit about you I can't fathom and will never back off of being critical of. A Christian that mocks people that try to be good, people that care about evil and its effects on other people. Hard to fathom that. And I'll never be quiet about how wrong that is.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            I am prepared to go through the threads I have posted in where you have done exactly that and pull out your mockery post after post.
            Go for it. I suppose you're going to get a lot of mileage out of the thread where we talked about proven liar Christine Ford's unconscionable attempts to smear Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh with false accusations. That's not mockery, by the way, it's a simple statement of fact. You like simple statements of fact, don't you?

In the meantime, feel free to address the post you ignored.

Comment

Go for it. I suppose you're going to get a lot of mileage out of the thread where we talked about proven liar Christine Ford's unconscionable attempts to smear Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh with false accusations. That's not mockery, by the way, it's a simple statement of fact. You like simple statements of fact, don't you?

You are clearly aware of the posts were you mocked ad infinitum. Trying to do a little pre-emptive repair work by redefining it as 'statements of fact'?

Mockery is never a 'statement of fact', though it can be based on fact. For example, I can mock a fat person. It may well be a fact the person is fat. But the mockery is not a statement of fact - it is an action taken by a callous heart, especially when directed at those that are suffering or hurt.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You are clearly aware of the posts were you mocked ad infinitum. Trying to do a little pre-emptive repair work by redefining it as 'statements of fact'?

Mockery is never a 'statement of fact', though it can be based on fact. For example, I can mock a fat person. It may well be a fact the person is fat. But the mockery is not a statement of fact - it is an action taken by a callous heart, especially when directed at those that are suffering or hurt.

So normally your next move would be to mock me for calling you out on your mockery - just proving my point. In fact, you prove my point every time you mock a person's handle in your replies.

Jim

Comment

No. It is just a simple statement of fact.

Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
                  There is, of course, a difference between mean-spirited insults and pointed mockery. And if you think mockery is never justified then you're going to have a tough time with certain passages of scripture.

Comment

Case in point, Microsoft has developed a "fake news" filter that is installed by default in their web browsers that only allows "approved" sources through. As you astutely put it, they don't want anybody "listening to voices other than their own."

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/...ews-blacklist/
                    More about Microsoft's NewsGuard filter:

Source: Blacklisters at Microsoft�s NewsGuard Label Proven Hoaxes �Credible�

[Image goes here, but I'm too lazy to embed it. -MM][Another image showing a red-flagged Breitbart article. -MM][More images. -MM]https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...axes-credible/

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

More about Microsoft's NewsGuard filter:

Source: Blacklisters at Microsoft�s NewsGuard Label Proven Hoaxes �Credible�

[Image goes here, but I'm too lazy to embed it. -MM][Another image showing a red-flagged Breitbart article. -MM][More images. -MM]https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...axes-credible/

© Copyright Original Source

It is not all about 2020. I'm sure the goal is much more long-term than that.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No. It is just a simple statement of fact.

There is, of course, a difference between mean-spirited insults and pointed mockery. And if you think mockery is never justified then you're going to have a tough time with certain passages of scripture.
                        Wow! There really is no end to how low you will go to justify constantly mocking others!

Jim
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-28-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Wow! There really is no end to how low you will go to justify constantly mocking others!
                          I'm sure your ilk in the Bible thought the same of Jesus.

"This fellow claims to be the Messiah, but all he does is mock us and challenge our authority! Bah!"

Comment

• "Curiouser and curiouser," as Alice would say...

Comment

I'm sure your ilk in the Bible thought the same of Jesus.

"This fellow claims to be the Messiah, but all he does is mock us and challenge our authority! Bah!"
                              as I am not the Pharisee you wish I were, neither are you Jesus ... you might want to take a really hard look at where you are headed with this MM.

Jim

Comment

"Curiouser and curiouser," as Alice would say...

Do you read anything but Breitbart?

Jim

Comment