Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and Lying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Wouldn't it be a real hoot if we had an independent 'from' BOTH parties, that made it a real horse race?
    A four-way race would be quite interesting.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I was not a political person when I was younger, not at all. Even though my parents weren't very political I do remember their excitment over Kennedy's electoral win over Nixon. I guess I assumed myself a democrat from that point forward. When I got a bit older I changed my thinking, or should I say began thinking politically, I registered as an independent thinking that there were good people on both sides either of which I could vote for. But then I realized that it isn't about the person per se, though ones character is definitely important, it's more about their ideology and the agenda of their party. Realizing that, I changed my affiliation back to democrat and haven't voted for a republican since, and don't forsee a time when I will.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        It would be marvelous is someone primaried Trump. They are almost certain to lose that contest, given the strong support for Trump among registered Republicans. But if they then ran in the general election as an independent - they could split the Republican vote and get Trump ejected.

Of course, the same thing would happen on the other side if someone like Sanders decided to run as an independent. It would essentially ensure Trump would get a second term.
        My prediction in another thread:

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Since Sanders got screwed out of the nomination by the DMC, I predict he will run as an independent and split the Democratic vote which will result in a 2nd term for Trump. Why would he trust them a 2nd time around?
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Wouldn't it be a real hoot if we had an independent 'from' BOTH parties, that made it a real horse race?
          That thought crossed my mind. My suspicion: it would result in no candidate receiving a majority of the electoral votes, throwing the election to Congress, which has only happened one other time in history (1824 - John Quincy Adams). There the outcome would be interesting. The Senate, with one vote per senator, would likely elect a Republican vice president. The house is another issue. In the house, each state delegation gets one vote. I haven't dug into it, but I think there are more states with a Republican majority than there are states with a Democratic majority - so it is entirely likely that the house would likely also vote for a Republican candidate. If that is true, Trump is the likely choice.

However, if the "independent" were someone like Kasich, it is possible the House representatives that are in blue districts might take the opportunity to eliminate Trump and put the Republican/Independent challenger in office.

I doubt we will ever know. The scenario strikes me as very unlikely.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

That thought crossed my mind. My suspicion: it would result in no candidate receiving a majority of the electoral votes, throwing the election to Congress...
            Actually, it's more partisan than that.... if nobody receives 270, it goes not just to "Congress", but specifically to the House of Representatives. Currently, of course, that's the Democrats.

ETA: OK, you covered that... but I think the major impact would be POTUS, not VPOTUs.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's possible. However, Sanders is not an idiot - and he strongly opposes Trump. He would know that such a run would have that very likely result. I suspect he is one of the few people that would actually put the interests of the country ahead of his political ambitions.

I will be very disappointed in the man if I turn out to be wrong about that.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Actually, it's more partisan than that.... if nobody receives 270, it goes not just to "Congress", but specifically to the House of Representatives. Currently, of course, that's the Democrats.
                I suspect you didn't read the entire post. President goes to the House - Vice president goes to the Senate. But the house vote is an odd one: each state delegation gets ONE collective vote. So the simple majority doesn't do the deed. The question is how many states have majority Dem/Rep representation. Currently, 32 states have majority Republican representation in the House, and 18 have majority Democratic representation. That is to be expected - there are simply more "red" states than blue ones. It is why the Senate is always a challenge for Dems. However, the blue states tend to be more populous (no surprise - Dems tend dominate in urban areas - so more urban states tend to be democratic ones). So it is likely the house would elect a Republican president as well.
                Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-11-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I suspect you didn't read the entire post.
                  I suspect you didn't read my edited post.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Never gonna happen, Sanders isn't that stupid.

Comment

I suspect you didn't read my edited post.
                      I suspect you didn't read my edited post either

Comment

I suspect you didn't read my edited post either
                        I'm not gonna read this one either, so there!

Comment

ETA: OK, you covered that... but I think the major impact would be POTUS, not VPOTUs.
                          I suspect that if it ever came to that, the Senate would wait until the House had elected a president, and then they would elect a vice president from the same party.

Comment

I'm not gonna read this one either, so there!
                            Doody head...

Comment

It would be marvelous is someone primaried Trump. They are almost certain to lose that contest, given the strong support for Trump among registered Republicans. But if they then ran in the general election as an independent - they could split the Republican vote and get Trump ejected.

Of course, the same thing would happen on the other side if someone like Sanders decided to run as an independent. It would essentially ensure Trump would get a second term.
                              It could end up being the only chance an independent could actually win an election. People could be so sick of both parties they decide to vote for an independent this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                It could end up being the only chance an independent could actually win an election. People could be so sick of both parties they decide to vote for an independent this time.
                                Curiously, Trump is so despised by both parties that he's effectively an independent.

Comment