Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    No Carp, it is perfectly clear that moral reasoning as a process does not lead to a absolutely/objectively better or a more absolutely/objectively insightful understanding of ethics than what the herd believes. Just admit it...
    I've inserted the words you continually omit, again. And I have admitted this is true from the outset. I've never disagreed with it.

You are blinded by your framework, Seer. There is no purpose in continuing. I will leave you to your unsupported assertion.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I've inserted the words you continually omit, again. And I have admitted this is true from the outset. I've never disagreed with it.

You are blinded by your framework, Seer. There is no purpose in continuing. I will leave you to your unsupported assertion.
      No Carp, the point is that the moral reasoning process can not be the determiner for understanding ethics. In other words, logically, is no better than following the herd. It just makes you fell better about yourself...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

No Carp, the point is that the moral reasoning process can not be the determiner for understanding ethics.
        It is amazing to me that anyone can write that sentence and believe it. By extension, we should not be using reasoning in coming to moral conclusions. Little wonder that there is no way to reason with someone who takes this position. You have essentially made my point.

Originally posted by seer View Post
        In other words, logically, is no better than following the herd. It just makes you fell better about yourself...
        You have not shown this.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          It is amazing to me that anyone can write that sentence and believe it. By extension, we should not be using reasoning in coming to moral conclusions. Little wonder that there is no way to reason with someone who takes this position. You have essentially made my point.
          Again, how is the process (and I'm speaking of the process here) a determiner for understanding ethics if it can lead both to human rights or killing dissenters by the truck load? How is that better than Fred who simply follows what he was taught growing up? You have not shown why such reasoning is superior. Your main point is not about the actual ethics it produces (human rights vs. killing dissenters) it is the process that counts.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Again, how is the process (and I'm speaking of the process here) a determiner for understanding ethics if it can lead both to human rights or killing dissenters by the truck load?
            Already answered - multiple times.

How is that better than Fred who simply follows what he was taught growing up?
            Already answered - multiple times.

You have not shown why such reasoning is superior.
            I have - multiple times.

Your main point is not about the actual ethics it produces (human rights vs. killing dissenters) it is the process that counts.
            No.

Sorry, Seer, but I just don't see it as a valuable use of my time to repeat arguments I have made multiple times when you show every sign of simply being incapable of understanding them. As best I can tell, you are so completely locked into the "absolute/objective" framework that you are incapable of seeing outside of it, or even recognizing that you are locked into it. I don't see that further discussion on this topic is useful unless/until you can see past that obstacle.

Comment