Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Gun Confiscation Killing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    No, having a gun on you doesn't necessarily give you a choice. If some mad man walks up to you and blows your head off it isn't going to matter one wit if you are carrying.
    If someone walks up to you and sneezes on you don't have a choice in catching the flu either.

You can always just sit at home and avoid all other people and then you can avoid the flue or getting shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      Yes, I do think that. You get the flu every year without a flu shot...I've never had the flu. Assuming the first number leads to the second is not in line with the laws of probability. BTW, my wife got a flu shot last year and still got the flu...meanwhile, I never get a flu shot and still didn't get it. If a coin is flipped 100 times and it comes up heads 100 times, what are the odds it will come up heads on the 101st try? Answer is 50%.
      You're off in the weeds.

If I flip a coin 1 times the odds of getting heads at least 1 time is 50%
      if I flip a coin 2 times the odds of getting heads at least 1 time is 75%
      if I flip a coin 3 times the odds of getting heads at least 1 time is 87.5%

IOW 1-(odds of a tail)n

Apply that same formula for 5% = 1 - (19/20)80
      which works out to just above 98%

If we take 10%, that number is 99.98%

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You seem to be deliberately ignoring my point to change the argument to one I'm not making...
        Like completely ignoring the increase in mass shootings and changing the argument to flu shots?
        I asked if it should be mandatory to get flu shots, not get one voluntarily like we do now. That's a direct correlation to regulating someone's ability to guy a gun.
        It's not. Getting a flu jab is something you do to yourself. You can prevent catching flu* from some-one else by your own actions.
        Not buying a gun has to be done by other people. You cannot prevent getting shot by your own actions.

*assuming the vaccine producers guess the right strain, etc etc etc
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Whatever Roy, we both know you have zero interest in discussing these things as you are in expressing your LPOTOCD. Get help.

Stop responding to LPOT? You've run away.
          Keep playing whack-a-mole? You've got OCD.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            If someone walks up to you and sneezes on you don't have a choice in catching the flu either.

You can always just sit at home and avoid all other people and then you can avoid the flue or getting shot.
            Or you can just get the flu vaccine and go about your life without worrying about possible external dangers.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              You're off in the weeds.

If I flip a coin 1 times the odds of getting heads at least 1 time is 50%
              if I flip a coin 2 times the odds of getting heads at least 1 time is 75%
              if I flip a coin 3 times the odds of getting heads at least 1 time is 87.5%

IOW 1-(odds of a tail)n

Apply that same formula for 5% = 1 - (19/20)80
              which works out to just above 98%

If we take 10%, that number is 99.98%

Jim
              I think with this formula, you aren't taking into account that the same people get the flu (which drives up the precentage) while others never do.
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Or you can just get the flu vaccine and go about your life without worrying about possible external dangers.
                getting a flu shot is no guarantee against catching the flu. It just lowers your odds. Kinda like staying out of bad neighborhoods lowers your odds of getting shot.

Comment

I think with this formula, you aren't taking into account that the same people get the flu (which drives up the precentage) while others never do.
                  True. The point was not the accuracy of the model. The point was the fact Roy was not making up the number.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yes, I do think that. You get the flu every year without a flu shot...I've never had the flu.
                    If
                    1) Each year 5-20% of USans get the flu.
                    And
                    2) You get the flu every year without a flu shot
                    Then
                    3) 80%-95% of Usans must be getting flu shots each year

But that's false, so one of your premises is wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      If
                      1) Each year 5-20% of USans get the flu.

So if every year you have a 80-95% chance of not catching the flu, and you add those odds up every year, you will have 100% chance of not catching the flu.

Comment

• You have a 1/14 million chance of winning the lottery each time you play. So if you play every week, your odds of winning increase each time right?

Comment

getting a flu shot is no guarantee against catching the flu. It just lowers your odds. Kinda like staying out of bad neighborhoods lowers your odds of getting shot.
                          Neither are gun laws a guarantee that a nut case won't get his hands on a gun, but it lowers the odds.

Comment

You have a 1/14 million chance of winning the lottery each time you play. So if you play every week, your odds of winning increase each time right?
                            The odds of confusion certainly increase.

Comment

So if every year you have a 80-95% chance of not catching the flu, and you add those odds up every year, you will have 100% chance of not catching the flu.

I make it 500%...

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                True. The point was not the accuracy of the model. The point was the fact Roy was not making up the number.

Jim
                                Ah! I'll concede Roy didn't make up the number, but posted a real number that doesn't fit my point (or my model) thus a straw man. Agreed?
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment