Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Gun Confiscation Killing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I would think it would be up to those that advocate for the stats quo that then would have the most to gain by making absolutely sure all existing laws are strictly enforced and adhered to. Is that what we see. Are you guys our there making sure there are no wink wink nod nods going on at gun shows? Taking police and judges to task for looking the other way or giving light sentences in existing violations? Are you voting in people that will make sure lax policies between agencies are fixed?

Not that I have seen. If anything it's the gun lobbies and hobbies exerting pressure against these corrections that have given us the lax situation we now enjoy.

So the push for tougher laws is then a compensation for lax enforcement. That is, eventually the laws get strong enough that even the existing lax attitude towards them can't stop them from being effective.

Jim
    It is up to law enforcement and the law makers to enforce the laws.

I have never seen anyone at a gun store or a gun show doing any "wink,wink,nudge,nudge" in selling firearms. Firearms dealers take their federal firearms license very seriously. Background checks and all.

Comment

I would think it would be up to those that advocate for the stats quo that then would have the most to gain by making absolutely sure all existing laws are strictly enforced and adhered to. Is that what we see. Are you guys our there making sure there are no wink wink nod nods going on at gun shows? Taking police and judges to task for looking the other way or giving light sentences in existing violations? Are you voting in people that will make sure lax policies between agencies are fixed?

Not that I have seen. If anything it's the gun lobbies and hobbies exerting pressure against these corrections that have given us the lax situation we now enjoy.

So the push for tougher laws is then a compensation for lax enforcement. That is, eventually the laws get strong enough that even the existing lax attitude towards them can't stop them from being effective.

Jim
      I'm not saying that there aren't gun shows that will allow you to buy a gun without a background check. I CAN say that I've never been to one of those gun shows...and I've been to several. All the ones I went to had booths with private sellers as well as gun shops/gun dealers. If you wanted to buy a gun, you had to go up front to the background check table and get checked. You took the form that stated you passed back to the person selling and presented it, they stamped it and it allowed you out of the door with the gun. IDK if that's a state requirement or local one but it's not uncommon around here...
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Jim
        Why would a gun dealer risk his business as well as jail time on maybe making a few thousand dollars? Most businesses that have those hard to obtain licenses tend to guard them pretty zealously and take as little risk as possible to not lose them.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          It is up to law enforcement and the law makers to enforce the laws.

I have never seen anyone at a gun store or a gun show doing any "wink,wink,nudge,nudge" in selling firearms. Firearms dealers take their federal firearms license very seriously. Background checks and all.
          Interesting.

(Query/accusation): instead of trying to creat new gun laws,focus on fixing lax gun law enfocement.
          (Observation): lax enforcement should be the concern of the gun lobby because if the current laws are sufficient then they have the most to lose by harsher, stiffer laws.
          (Observation) pushback againat stricter enforcement tends to come from gun enthusiasts
          (Couter claim) hey, we don't see any sign of lax enforcement.

So which is it? We have lax enforcement or the current laws are insufficient. If there is not lax enforcement then clearly the current laws are insufficient and focusing on stricter enforcement is unlikely to have any meaningful effect.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Interesting.

(Query/accusation): instead of trying to creat new gun laws,focus on fixing lax gun law enfocement.
            (Observation): lax enforcement should be the concern of the gun lobby because if the current laws are sufficient then they have the most to lose by harsher, stiffer laws.
            (Observation) pushback againat stricter enforcement tends to come from gun enthusiasts

So which is it? We have lax enforcement or the current laws are insufficient. If there is not lax enforcement then clearly the current laws are insufficient and focusing on stricter enforcement is unlikely to have any meaningful effect.

Jim
            Name a law that would have prevented the lastest 5 mass shootings.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Interesting how during Democratic Administration prosecutions for violations of gun control laws take a nose dive while calls for new laws increase. One could reasonably believe that liberals are not interested in actually enforcing the laws that they want but instead merely want new tougher laws placed on the books.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Interesting.

Jim
                Who says that legal gun owners are the problem in the first place?

And I was just answering your accusations about cheating gun buyers and sellers. There are a lot more gun laws than just the ones you were complaining about. There are laws that limit the type of guns you can buy, how large the magazines can be, who can own guns, where you can have guns, where you can carry guns, etc. Those laws don't seem to stop people from killing other people. And those laws enforcement are upon the legal and police to enforce.

Comment

• Rabbit trail pix. The correct path is to ask what changes in gun policy or law could be expected to significantly reduce the likely hood of those shootings.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Rabbit trail pix. The correct path is to ask what changes in gun policy or law could be expected to significantly reduce the likely hood of those shootings.

Jim
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• So sorry pix. I keep forgetting you are incapable of parsing subtleties. My point is your question is tuatological. No law can prevent a person from breaking that same law, or from finding some way around it. So to ask what law would prevent a mass shooting or some specific set of mass shootings is about as intelligent as asking what law could prevent divorce, or premarital sex, or shoplifting. The question that has to be asked is what laws or policies can reduce events like the ones we are seeing all too often these days. And once you enter the realm of a sane question you enter the realm of possible answers.

Jim
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-19-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

So sorry pix. I keep forgetting you are incapable of parsing subtleties. My point is your question is tuatological. No law can prevent a person from breaking that same law. So to ask what law would prevent a mass shooting or some specific set of mass shootings is about as intelligent as asking what law could prevent divorce, or premarital sex, or shoplifting. The question that has to be asked is what laws or policies can reduce events like the ones we are seeing all too often these days. And once you enter the realm of a sane question you enter the realm of possible answers.

Jim
                        What I said, in reality:

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        Name a law that would have prevented the lastest 5 mass shootings.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Seatbelt laws do not prevent automobile fatalities, but they do reduce them.

Mandated airbags do not prevent automobile fatalities, but they do reduce them.

Drunk driving laws do not prevent drunk driving tragedies, but they do reduce them.

Anti-discrimination laws don't prevent discrimination, but they do reduce the number if incidents.

Anti-racketeering laws do not prevent money laundering, but they do help reduce the number of instances

Anti-theft laws do not prevent theft, but they do help reduce the number of incidences of theft.

------------------------

You asked a question that is of no relevance to the discussion, except in the minds of the ignorant. No law can with 100% effectiveness prevent a crime. And I am not personally for stricter gun laws because I am under the ignorant delusion it will stop all mass shootings.

The problem we are dealing with in the mass shootings is that it is just too easy for people who are not in control of their emotions, faculties (or both) to get hold of and use a gun to commit horrible acts. While no law can with 100% effectiveness stop such actions, what laws can do is make it harder for such a person to get such a weapon, or retain it well after it is known they are no longer capable of responsible ownership of such a weapon. There are laws that can help make a difference. And that is where the discussion can have meaning. What are those laws. What are their merits. what are their weaknesses.

Jim

Comment

Seatbelt laws do not prevent automobile fatalities, but they do reduce them.

Mandated airbags do not prevent automobile fatalities, but they do reduce them.

Drunk driving laws do not prevent drunk driving tragedies, but they do reduce them.

Anti-discrimination laws don't prevent discrimination, but they do reduce the number if incidents.

Anti-racketeering laws do not prevent money laundering, but they do help reduce the number of instances

Anti-theft laws do not prevent theft, but they do help reduce the number of incidences of theft.

------------------------

You asked a question that is of no relevance to the discussion, except in the minds of the ignorant. No law can with 100% effectiveness prevent a crime. And I am not personally for stricter gun laws because I am under the ignorant delusion it will stop all mass shootings.

The problem we are dealing with in the mass shootings is that it is just too easy for people who are not in control of their emotions, faculties (or both) to get hold of and use a gun to commit horrible acts. While no law can with 100% effectiveness stop such actions, what laws can do is make it harder for such a person to get such a weapon, or retain it well after it is known they are no longer capable of responsible ownership of such a weapon. There are laws that can help make a difference. And that is where the discussion can have meaning. What are those laws. What are their merits. what are their weaknesses.

Jim
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 11-19-2018, 05:21 PM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Ah - see. Reduce mass shootings. Different question. How to reduce mass shootings.

Well, actually that is relatively simple. Countries with reduced access or very limited public access to guns have very few mass shooting events. So one way would be to severely limit access to guns.

So what you really want to know is not what sorts of laws could reduce the number of mass shootings, but what sorts of laws could reduce the number of mass shootings without severely impacting ease of access to guns or requiring a modification or repeal of the 2nd amendment.

And there is where it gets difficult isn't it. What data is there that could show what might work when every effort to try to reduce the number of mass shootings by changing the laws is thwarted by the gun lobbies?

Nevertheless, some have made good efforts at doing just that. The NYT has a decent article that plots gun laws against public support and potential effectiveness as ranked by experts in criminology, public health, and law that have studied the issue in depth:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ould-help.html

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Interesting how during Democratic Administration prosecutions for violations of gun control laws take a nose dive while calls for new laws increase. One could reasonably believe that liberals are not interested in actually enforcing the laws that they want but instead merely want new tougher laws placed on the books.
                                As has been stated many times, the goal of gun control laws is not safety it is more government control period.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment