Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sessions Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    The "acerbic" comment was from me. While I am by no means perfect, I work pretty hard to make my posts about the arguments, and not the person, and to call people on the uncivil tone so often taken here. But most of the time it is to little avail. For some, my lack of perfection becomes an excuse to dismiss those calls. For others, they defend the lack of civility as perfectly appropriate and even necessary.

For some, the "Christian" message has become fairly toxic. I find myself in sympathy with the "Red Letter Christians."
    As for me, Carpe, you are the nicest pinko commie leftist extremist* I know.

For those poor souls who lack the humor gene, I'm being facetious about the 'pinko commie leftist extremist' part.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The "acerbic" comment was from me. While I am by no means perfect, I work pretty hard to make my posts about the arguments, and not the person, and to call people on the uncivil tone so often taken here. But most of the time it is to little avail. For some, my lack of perfection becomes an excuse to dismiss those calls. For others, they defend the lack of civility as perfectly appropriate and even necessary.

For some, the "Christian" message has become fairly toxic. I find myself in sympathy with the "Red Letter Christians."

Comment

You're a meanie, and it's time for your annual bath!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I'm sorry, but this looks exactly like the "whataboutism" you have complained about so often lately.
          I understand you confusion. The components are similar, but the direction and purpose are different.

'Whataboutism' as some call it is that act of justifying something that is being done by by 'our guy' by pointing out that 'their guy' did something similar or worse. As if the fact what 'their guy' did it makes what 'our guy' did ok.

That is not what is happening here. It's actually the reverse. I'm not seeking to justify being obnoxious or difficult - by anyone. I'm asking if the accusers have noticed their own participation in what they are complaining about.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

For those poor souls who lack the humor gene, I'm being facetious about the 'pinko commie leftist extremist' part.
            Please, he's clearly a pinko commie leftist moderate
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Find a half dozen posts by JimL that are NOT 'acerbic' or otherwise calling somebody stupid or moron or idiot or ignorant..... He's not here for Christian fellowship, Jim.
              Honestly - is anyone? If so, we need to try a bit harder I think.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Honestly - is anyone?
                I am. And, in the process, I'll stand up to the anti-Christian bigots (who are only here to do battle) along the way.

If so, we need to try a bit harder I think.

Jim
                So, be the example! In your zeal to attack Trump, you allow your anger to attack your brethren, as well.

(Or, are we not "brethren" if we don't agree with you? Seriously)

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  I understand you confusion. The components are similar, but the direction and purpose are different.

'Whataboutism' as some call it is that act of justifying something that is being done by by 'our guy' by pointing out that 'their guy' did something similar or worse. As if the fact what 'their guy' did it makes what 'our guy' did ok.
                  Jim
                  It is exactly what you did Jim. You were excusing what JimL did by pointing out that 'we' do something similar or worse.

Comment

So the argument is "we didn't get beaten as badly as we feared." Understood.
                    Well, no. I wasn't "afraid" of being beaten badly - and the outcome was more or less in line with what I expected to happen. I don't invest a whole lot of emotion in politics, because I'm mostly cynical of the whole process.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm sorry, but this looks exactly like the "whataboutism" you have complained about so often lately.
                      I don't see Jim trying to excuse JimL's acerbic posting style here, but trying to point out the hypocrisy of others complaining about it.

However, I don't see a complaint about JimL's acerbic posting style in what Jim is responding to.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I don't see Jim trying to excuse JimL's acerbic posting style here, but trying to point out the hypocrisy of others complaining about it.

However, I don't see a complaint about JimL's acerbic posting style in what Jim is responding to.
                        Which is ironically what most of the posts accused of "whataboutism" have been doing. So either way, it seems inconsistent to me.

That said, I think I agree with his post #66.

Comment

Which is ironically what most of the posts accused of "whataboutism" have been doing. So either way, it seems inconsistent to me.

Well, I'm at T-Web in general for Christian fellowship. However, this particular forum is not well-suited for that ideal.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Well, I'm at T-Web in general for Christian fellowship. However, this particular forum is not well-suited for that ideal.
                            No, definitely not.

Edit: I might add that I don't deny that anyone is here for Christian fellowship (that's why I'm here, too) but more the admonition in the second half of his post.
                            Last edited by Zymologist; 11-09-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

"Whataboutism" is whack. Pure and simple.

Comment

I don't know whether to respond with or

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment