Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Khashoggi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    You misjudge my dear friend. I think CP was just wanting to compile a list of things not to get obsessed about.
    He gave me an 'amen', so perhaps not.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      He gave me an 'amen', so perhaps not.
      The Bad Pig is the least bit wrong of all opinions expressed thus far.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ah, goalpost move. Quelle Surprise. It's a bit late for "emergency and protective services", yes? Also, note the high bar of the language involved: "exceptionally close and strong ties... AND overriding humanitarian and compassionate grounds exist." There's plenty of wiggle room there; it seems that one would need to first demonstrate this before services are provided. So, quelle surprise redux, Trump's argument DOES hold up after all.

Kashoggi also had close ties to Islamist groups, so it's far from clear he'd be granted a green card regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Or has the US given up all pretence of being a moral force in the world?
          The irony of you lecturing others on morality is not lost on me, Tassman.

Of course, in your zeal to impugn the US in general and Trump in particular, you appear to have missed that the US is indeed investigating, and that Trump has called on Congress to craft an appropriate bipartisan response.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• All true, but I don't think it's the exagerated arms deasl that Trump is concerned about, Trump is all about himself and his personal deals and he, his daughter, and his son in law, are making big money from the Saudi's just like they are from their Russian oligarch buddies. The guy is a mobster and a crook through and through just like his Russian and Saudi counterparts. The only difference being is that unlike MBS and Putin, Trump is still somewhat constrained by the democratic system that the blind fools have elected him to be the president of.

Comment

Of course, in your zeal to impugn the US in general and Trump in particular, you appear to have missed that the US is indeed investigating, and that Trump has called on Congress to craft an appropriate bipartisan response.
              Got to love you Trump apologists. If it were up to Trump, if he thought he could get away with it, there would be no investigation. He defended the Saudis from the get go in the same way that he defended Russia over his own Intelligence agencies regarding their election interference. I'm surprised he didn't blame Khashoggi's murder on some 400 lb. guy that nobody knows. I wonder who thought up the rogue actors explanation? Guess who the first one to mention that idea was!
              Last edited by JimL; 10-25-2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Got to love you Trump apologists. If it were up to Trump, if he thought he could get away with it, there would be no investigation. He defended the Saudis from the get go in the same way that he defended Russia over his own Intelligence agencies regarding their election interference. I'm surprised he didn't blame Khashoggi's murder on some 400 lb. guy that nobody knows. I wonder who thought up the rogue actors explanation? Guess who the first one to mention that idea was!
                So if Trump does nothing, you complain that he should do something, and when he does do something, you complain he is only doing it because he can't get away with doing nothing. wow. so basically no matter what Trump does or doesn't do, you will find a way to blame him for not doing the right thing. That pretty clearly shows where your head is at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  So if Trump does nothing, you complain that he should do something, and when he does do something, you complain he is only doing it because he can't get away with doing nothing. wow. so basically no matter what Trump does or doesn't do, you will find a way to blame him for not doing the right thing. That pretty clearly shows where your head is at.
                  He has a history Sparko. How long did it take until he was finally forced to admit that the Russians interfered with the election. Had he had his way, he'd still be denying it, probably because of his administrations collusion. Well, he did the same thing here, coming up with excuses for the Saudi's, "rogue actors," and, "they strongly deny it" rather than looking at the facts. Remember, Putin "strongly denied" it too, and "I don't see any reason why Russia would" be guilty. He's not concerned about the country or the countries reputation around the free world, he's concerned about his oligarchic partners in crime and his own finances.

Comment

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1MW2LT

Comment

Too bad the US is now energy independent, eh? And we've got Iraq as a backup, so we're good, thanks.
                      I recommend you read this article from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier.../#7f80f0c242e8

Given that Saudi Arabia's share of oil production is well beyond the spare production capacity of the world's most important commodity, Saudi Arabia has incredible economic power. All Saudi Arabia would have to do is withhold three or four million barrels of oil per day from the market, and prices would quickly rise above $100/barrel.
                      The evidence is clear; MbS is a de facto god, and every time you or I go to the fuel pumps we engage in an act of worship of god MbS. Heaven watches and calculates the weight of our sin which is repaid to us in the form of droughts, hurricanes, hunger and pestilence. We call it global climate change.

Comment

• Ok...there was mention here about how to prononuce Khashoggi 's. I haven't caught on to that...anybody care to show me how it should be pronounced?

I hadn't paid much attention until recently to this issue about his disappearance. I'm kind of concerned about the Saudi response - they are shockingly hostile to outsiders even from within the Mideast to begin with and their Pelosi-style (as in far fetched and bizarre) responses are...mind boggling.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          I recommend you read this article from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier.../#7f80f0c242e8
                          The article writer, as is often the case, assumes a static oil market. American production capacity can quickly increase, and would, given the spike in prices resulting in otherwise marginal fields becoming profitable.

Another thing which needs to be considered in any response is Russia's dependence on oil revenue; Putin would like nothing more than to see significantly higher oil prices. Is cutting out the Saudis worth that?
                          sigpic

Comment

• And just like that the new cycle moved on to the next story...

Comment

And just like that the new cycle moved on to the next story...
                              Just slow moving. The US now has leverage with MbS, moves in Yemen perhaps, but no justice for Jamal Khashoggi.

Comment

And just like that the new cycle moved on to the next story...
                                http://time.com/5438975/saudi-arabia...oggis-killing/
                                Last edited by Tassman; 10-31-2018, 04:48 AM.

Comment