Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Let's hold hands and sing Kum Bah Yah, Carpe.
    Come by here?

You had your chance...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Come by here?

You had your chance...
      Yeah, perhaps one day!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, perhaps one day!
        Indeed. It is possible I will be back in your neck of the woods teaching again before year's end. I'll let you know. Perhaps we can connect then and compare fingers!
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Indeed. It is possible I will be back in your neck of the woods teaching again before year's end. I'll let you know. Perhaps we can connect then and compare fingers!
          Funny you should mention that at this moment....

A good friend of mine, our assistant DA, had a table saw accident yesterday afternoon, and cut off the end of his right hand thumb. He has joined the "limited digit club" - had surgery last night, all went well, I should be going shortly to spring him from the hospital.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Then there's this from the whataboutism desk...

Remember the "Bimbo Eruption" squad?

Comment

So first of all, unless there is more than one GoFundMe page, the number was actually $611K as of a few moments ago. You might also note what it is being spent on. They have moved four times since this began, are paying for security services, and are the constant recipient of threats of harm. I wonder just how much she actually feels that her willingness to come forward was "worth it."

ETA: Actually, there is a https://www.gofundme.com/to-cover-dr...security-costs that is no longer accepting donations. It has raised just over $209K, making the total over $820K.

Also, Kavanaugh also had a Gofundme page created for him (neither apparently created their own). Hers was targeted to $150K and raised $611. His was targeted to $600K and raised almost exactly the same amount as hers, again, as of this morning.

The entire situation has been ugly on both sides, IMO. Our politicians are not showing their finest sides. And the finger pointing between parties doesn't really achieve much of anything, IMO, except to further divide us all.
              Except she started it and had to live with some consequences and she cause the consequences Kavanaugh has to live with. And she has a lot more supporters than detractors. Probably has book deals and movie deals and got the cover of Time. She is a hero to the left.

I also think most of what she is claiming as attacks are BS and publicity stunts put up by her lawyers to make her look more sympathetic.

Comment

One of our local therapists, in dealing with young women, encourages them "if you can't talk to anybody, write down what happened, and mail (email or snail mail - snail male preferrably) it to yourself".

Her reasoning is
                A) You will have a record of what happened date/time stamped by the USPS (just keep the letter and don't open it)
                2) It will help you focus your thoughts and document what you believe actually happened
                3) If, at a later time, you want to go public, you'll have the details recorded

It's not a slam dunk "it happened", but just think where we would be if Ford had done that, or written in a diary, or shared that information with a friend at the time it allegedly happened.
                letters.jpg

Comment

Funny you should mention that at this moment....

A good friend of mine, our assistant DA, had a table saw accident yesterday afternoon, and cut off the end of his right hand thumb. He has joined the "limited digit club" - had surgery last night, all went well, I should be going shortly to spring him from the hospital.
                  Ouch...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Except she started it and had to live with some consequences and she cause the consequences Kavanaugh has to live with.
                    Yes, she did. And if she was indeed sexually assaulted, she not only had the right but the responsibility to do so, IMO. I will not make a judgment about whether or not she was - the evidence does not support such a firm conclusion.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    And she has a lot more supporters than detractors.
                    You cannot know that. You only know who spoke up.

Probably has book deals and movie deals and got the cover of Time.
                    I don't deal in "probably." When she does, if she does, she does. Right now I have seen nothing about it. I find this kind of speculation pointless.

She is a hero to the left.
                    Yes - she is that.

I also think most of what she is claiming as attacks are BS and publicity stunts put up by her lawyers to make her look more sympathetic.
                    As far as I can see, you have no basis for this statement. If you do, I would like to see the sources for these assumptions. Otherwise, this is classic, "assume the other side is always an evil enemy." Given your comments about voting and how Democrats are bad and need to be taken out of office by any legal means possible, I have to conclude you've lost any semblance of balance and rationality in discussing/considering points made by the opposing party.

Comment

Except she started it and had to live with some consequences and she cause the consequences Kavanaugh has to live with. And she has a lot more supporters than detractors. Probably has book deals and movie deals and got the cover of Time. She is a hero to the left.

No Sparko, that assumes she made it up. If he actually assaulted her, then he started it. If she is confused about who the attacker was, then that attacker is who started it and the blame goes to him.

Only if she willfully and with malice made this all up is she to blame.

Do you really believe there is enough evidence to say that she willfully and with malice made this all up as to cast on her that sort of blame?

Jim
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-09-2018, 01:14 PM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yes, she did. And if she was indeed sexually assaulted, she not only had the right but the responsibility to do so, IMO. I will not make a judgment about whether or not she was - the evidence does not support such a firm conclusion.
                        no. she did not. She had a responsibility to report it to the police when it happened so that others would be protected. Or to the police now so that they could investigate. She had no responsibility to accuse him in public or write a senator about it with no evidence, knowing it could ruin his life and career. Nobody has that "responsibility"

You cannot know that. You only know who spoke up.
                        Oh please, just look at the newspapers, magazines, TV and social media. She is the liberal's darling. Even all of the liberal senators told her how brave she was and that they believed her. Yes, I can know that.

I don't deal in "probably." When she does, if she does, she does. Right now I have seen nothing about it. I find this kind of speculation pointless.
                        You are probably right. If she puts it in a book or movie she would definitely get sued for defamation. Also her book would be about two pages long.

Yes - she is that.
                        and above you said I cannot know that?

As far as I can see, you have no basis for this statement. If you do, I would like to see the sources for these assumptions. Otherwise, this is classic, "assume the other side is always an evil enemy." Given your comments about voting and how Democrats are bad and need to be taken out of office by any legal means possible, I have to conclude you've lost any semblance of balance and rationality in discussing/considering points made by the opposing party.
                        My basis is: that is what I think. Thus the preface "I also think"

Comment

no. she did not. She had a responsibility to report it to the police when it happened so that others would be protected. Or to the police now so that they could investigate. She had no responsibility to accuse him in public or write a senator about it with no evidence, knowing it could ruin his life and career. Nobody has that "responsibility"
                          That would have been better perhaps, but do you have no compassion for the sorts of difficulties a young assault victim faces, especially in the early '80s?

When a person is assaulted and there is no real proof other than the testimony of the victim, the outcome to all that are friends of the assaulter is that he is unfairly accused. They just can't see and choose not to see that IF this person they care about did this, THAT PERSON is the guilty one. Your responses here are not like those of an impartial third party (i.e. we have to be fair and just in our dealings with the world) and are more like you were one of Kavanaugh's closest kin, obligated by blood to believe him and raging against his potential victim in the process.

Does that make any sense?

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Do you really believe there is enough evidence to say that she willfully and with malice made this all up as to cast on her that sort of blame?

Jim
                            I do.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

That would have been better perhaps, but do you have no compassion for the sorts of difficulties a young assault victim faces, especially in the early '80s?

When a person is assaulted and there is no real proof other than the testimony of the victim, the outcome to all that are friends of the assaulter is that he is unfairly accused. They just can't see and choose not to see that IF this person they care about did this, THAT PERSON is the guilty one. Your responses here are not like those of an impartial third party (i.e. we have to be fair and just in our dealings with the world) and are more like you were one of Kavanaugh's closest kin, obligated by blood to believe him and raging against his potential victim in the process.

Does that make any sense?

Jim
                              She had some proof! There were other people at the party! She could have told them what happened. She could have reported it to the police and they could have questioned the others, confirmed the circumstances. If it was not important enough to bring forth to the authorities then or now, then it sure wasn't important enough to risk a man's entire life and career over now.

Comment

Jim
                                Why do I need evidence to make such an accusation? Apparently just making an accusation is good enough and my responsibility to make if I believe it right?

Comment