Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

301 Predator Priests...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With all this attention being paid to the Catholic sexual abuse, it seems that a much larger problem of sexual abuse is being ignored.

Rogue mentioned how sexual abuse wasn't uncommon by teachers and coaches (which are in secularized schools and thus the blame can't really be given to religion). I didn't really look much into it at the time, but I have now. Some of the data seems legitimately frightening. According to this, nearly 7% of children from 8th to 11th grade have been physically sexually abused by an adult in school... and the percentage goes up to 10% if we count non-physical sexual abuse. Now it's true that information comes from a 2004 report so it could be out of date, but as the site indicates, the numbers may have actually gone up since then.

In a more localized case, a few months ago this came out about public schools in Chicago. Eek.

This appears to be a big issue that seems to be largely ignored. Granted, part of the problem is that the school system in the country is fairly decentralized, even with the Department of Education, and thus it's hard to make across-the-board changes to improve things or to try to connect things. But it's a real problem that doesn't seem to be getting proper attention.

I'm not just saying this as some kind of "see, the secular institutions do it too!" point either. I find this legitimately troubling. What are possible ways to fix this on a large scale?
    Last edited by Terraceth; 08-31-2018, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      With all this attention being paid to the Catholic sexual abuse, it seems that a much larger problem of sexual abuse is being ignored.

Rogue mentioned how sexual abuse wasn't uncommon by teachers and coaches (which are in secularized schools and thus the blame can't really be given to religion). I didn't really look much into it at the time, but I have now. Some of the data seems legitimately frightening. According to this, nearly 7% of children from 8th to 11th grade have been physically sexually abused by an adult in school... and the percentage goes up to 10% if we count non-physical sexual abuse. Now it's true that information comes from a 2004 report so it could be out of date, but as the site indicates, the numbers may have actually gone up since then.

In a more localized case, a few months ago this came out about public schools in Chicago. Eek.

This appears to be a big issue that seems to be largely ignored. Granted, part of the problem is that the school system in the country is fairly decentralized, even with the Department of Education, and thus it's hard to make across-the-board changes to improve things or to try to connect things. But it's a real problem that doesn't seem to be getting proper attention.

I'm not just saying this as some kind of "see, the secular institutions do it too!" point either. I find this legitimately troubling. What are possible ways to fix this on a large scale?
      It's a hard thing to fix. Pedophiles will naturally be attracted to any position that puts them in regular contact with children. My concern is two-fold. 1) How do you protect the children, 2) without impugning the vast majority of people in those roles (or of particular sexual orientations, or skin color, or any other un-related grouping) who are NOT engaged in such activities. Putting a rule in place like "no-one-on-one" will swell the school budgets when most areas are trying to shrink/control those budgets. A "no touching at all" rule deprives the children of normal adult human contact (sometimes a crying kid just needs someone to hug them) and probably will do noting to stop pedophiles. It would seem to me that empowering the kids would be a good thing (what is bad touching and who to tell), but there is strong resistance by many to having frank conversations with the youngest children about such topics.

My vote would be for empowering the kids and implementing the "no-one-on-one" rule, whatever the cost. It seems to me the safety of our kids should not be measured dollars and cents.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• So is the Pope saying that those who are accusing the clergy of sex abuse are in league with the devil?

Pope Francis addressed the recent sex abuse scandals that have rocked the Catholic Church in some controversial remarks Tuesday in his homily.

https://www.theblaze.com/video/matt-...lizing-bishops
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          So is the Pope saying that those who are accusing the clergy of sex abuse are in league with the devil?
          Pretty much. His attitude seems to be "We're all sinners. What's the big deal?" This would explain why he hasn't done anything about it.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Pretty much. His attitude seems to be "We're all sinners. What's the big deal?" This would explain why he hasn't done anything about it.
            Yeah, I swear every now and again. Totally the same...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Either that or he just admitted that all bishops are sexual predators.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                So is the Pope saying that those who are accusing the clergy of sex abuse are in league with the devil?
                I don't think that's what he was saying. Now, it's really hard to say too much about that without the context of the full homily, which I cannot find anywhere online, only a few snippets. From what little context I can determine, it doesn't seem like he was explicitly saying that in reference to the sexual abuses, and that the point he was trying to make with that specific part was imploring bishops to avoid sins that could be used to create scandal. While perhaps not phrased very well (though perhaps it was better in the full context), that doesn't seem particularly objectionable.

Comment

I don't think that's what he was saying. Now, it's really hard to say too much about that without the context of the full homily, which I cannot find anywhere online, only a few snippets. From what little context I can determine, it doesn't seem like he was explicitly saying that in reference to the sexual abuses, and that the point he was trying to make with that specific part was imploring bishops to avoid sins that could be used to create scandal. While perhaps not phrased very well (though perhaps it was better in the full context), that doesn't seem particularly objectionable.
                  What have you found?
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

What have you found?
                    This is the most full account of the homily I could find, which appears to be the original source:
                    https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope-f...s-scandal.html

It still only involves a few snippets (the accompanying synopsis text really does nothing other than summarize the quotes) of what was presumably a much longer homily. But the slightly larger context offered indicates that the point of the homily wasn't about the sexual abuse scandal at all, and instead was basically a "how bishops should behave" guide. The only thing that might relate to the abuse scandal is the mention of "attacking bishops" but it's unclear, particularly without context, as to exactly what that is supposed to mean.

Comment

It might also explain why the US bishop had to ask the pope for an enquiry rather than the pope initiating one himself.

This: "True, we are all sinners, we bishops. He tries to uncover the sins, so they are visible in order to scandalize the people." implies that Pope Francis thinks sins are ok unless they're uncovered, and it's his job to ensure they remain concealed.
                      Last edited by Roy; 09-14-2018, 05:48 AM.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

This is the most full account of the homily I could find, which appears to be the original source:
                        https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope-f...s-scandal.html

It still only involves a few snippets (the accompanying synopsis text really does nothing other than summarize the quotes) of what was presumably a much longer homily. But the slightly larger context offered indicates that the point of the homily wasn't about the sexual abuse scandal at all, and instead was basically a "how bishops should behave" guide. The only thing that might relate to the abuse scandal is the mention of "attacking bishops" but it's unclear, particularly without context, as to exactly what that is supposed to mean.
                        "These troubled times", in context, would seem to point to the ongoing scandal. It does appear to be a guide for how bishops should behave, and I have no issues with that aspect of it. It is a little tone-deaf, as it were, in encouraging the bishops to get closer to the people, since the scandal is about some bishops getting entirely TOO close to some of their people.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          It might also explain why the US bishop had to ask the pope for an enquiry rather than the pope initiating one himself.

This: "True, we are all sinners, we bishops. He tries to uncover the sins, so they are visible in order to scandalize the people." implies that Pope Francis thinks sins are ok unless they're uncovered, and it's his job to ensure they remain concealed.
                          Yeah that's how the whole thing comes across. Especially if I'm remembering some of his other statements correctly.

Comment