Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

TSA screeners win immunity from flier abuse claims: U.S. appeals court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I have the TSA Precheck. It was great. I just walked up to the booth, put everything on a conveyorbelt to be scanned and walked through the metal detector. basically like going into any federal building in the USA. I didn't have to take off my shoes or belt, or turn on my laptop. No long line.
    Sounds like the checkout in my country.

Comment

I have the TSA Precheck.
      A pirate with a TSA precheck? Something is horribly wrong here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have the TSA Precheck.
        This is proof the system is terribly broken.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          This is proof the system is terribly broken.
          Or... that he's actually an agent for the Royal Navy!!1!!11!eleventy-one!!

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have the TSA Precheck. It was great. I just walked up to the booth, put everything on a conveyorbelt to be scanned and walked through the metal detector. basically like going into any federal building in the USA. I didn't have to take off my shoes or belt, or turn on my laptop. No long line.
            I sometimes have to take off my shoes and belt to enter a courthouse. It depends on the current threat level, I think.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I sometimes have to take off my shoes and belt to enter a courthouse. It depends on the current threat level, I think.
              They always require that you remove your belt to enter the county courthouse here. Shoes? Not so much if you're wearing tennis shoes/sneakers like I often am.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                When I visit the Texas Capital, I just have to show my Concealed Carry License, and I get waved around security, not even having to wait in line for the metal detector.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I still have to go through security and I work at the courthouse.

I once almost got stopped because I had a spoon in my bag until the other guy working the security belt pointed out I was an intern.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                  "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                  Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

I guess the logic of this ruling is that TSA agents are better able to do their jobs if they're not concerned with being frivolously sued by a troublesome passenger. Without immunity, imagine how easily someone could circumvent certain security measures if they threatened to sue any agent who scrutinized them too closely. The downside, of course, is that a power-hungry agent could take advantage of this immunity to make other people miserable.

The worst part of all of this is that I'm still not convinced that the security screening really makes us any safer. It just seems like an unnecessary hassle.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Um, I think you're making this way more convoluted than it is. I wasn't proposing a theory - I was stating some facts. TSA is all screwed up - I don't think anybody disputes that. But one of the main reasons is that they too often ACT like they are law enforcement when they have no such authority.

As even their own website attempts to make clear, they are pretty much to "observe and report", and call in actual law enforcement when they see violations.
                      That makes the decision as stated make less sense - a lot less sense.

;shrug: Let me get up to speed - maybe there's something i've missed or just didn't catch.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        That makes the decision as stated make less sense - a lot less sense.
                        Um, that's why I posted it - it makes no sense.

Comment

From the OP....

Oh, YAY... they can be rude with impunity!
                          Perhaps you thought was DEFENDING this nuttery?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I guess the logic of this ruling is that TSA agents are better able to do their jobs if they're not concerned with being frivolously sued by a troublesome passenger. Without immunity, imagine how easily someone could circumvent certain security measures if they threatened to sue any agent who scrutinized them too closely. The downside, of course, is that a power-hungry agent could take advantage of this immunity to make other people miserable.

The worst part of all of this is that I'm still not convinced that the security screening really makes us any safer. It just seems like an unnecessary hassle.
                            IF they were serious about safety, they would take a few pages from the Israeli handbook on airplane security -- but they're too !@$#^!&^! PC to do that!

Comment

From the OP....

Oh, YAY... they can be rude with impunity!
                              Perhaps you thought was DEFENDING this nuttery?
                              Talking with the smartest person in the room again?

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

As do a whole lot of your posts

love ya brudder

Comment