Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sad Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Way to miss the Cow Poker's point, carpe. I don't think you need me to spell it out for you.
    Oh I got his point...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Really? Hate? Something tells me you're being affected by confirmation bias. I am strongly opposed to the liberal ideology, but I don't hate anybody for being a liberal, even if I am, on occasion, compelled to question their ability to think rationally.
      MM, you cannot even hold a reasonable conversation with a member of the opposition. You change names in posts to childish monikers, you ridicule, condescend, and mostly act...well...kind of like Trump actually. If you were my son, you would have been barred from computer use in a matter of minutes. Your really in no position to talk about about how non-hating you are.

And I'm sure that will earn me an eye roll...or maybe I'll finally get a "dimcarpe" name substitution!
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        MM, you cannot even hold a reasonable conversation with a member of the opposition. You change names in posts to childish monikers, you ridicule, condescend, and mostly act...well...kind of like Trump actually. If you were my son, you would have been barred from computer use in a matter of minutes. Your really in no position to talk about about how non-hating you are.

And I'm sure that will earn me an eye roll...or maybe I'll finally get a "dimcarpe" name substitution!
        Except for the fact that, you know, he's him and you're not.

So why do you hate conservatives so much?

ETA: wow, my first version did not come out right
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I think Waters was not being clear in her speech, and runs of the risk of being misunderstood. Her comment, which I suspect is the one you are referring to was, "Let's make sure we show up wherever we have to show up. And if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere."

AFAIAC, she was fine until the last two sentences. "Push Back" was a bad choice of words because it could mean physically and some won't hesitate. The last part I am somewhat ambivalent about. It's not something I would say, and I think it is counterproductive. But if we're talking about a bunch of people in the street picketing and demonstrating, "you're not welcome anymore" is a perfectly acceptable chant, and better than a lot I've heard. As I said, not something I'm going to engage in, but if someone feels that way, who am I to tell them not to express it?
          Why can't you just simply get to the point and not waffle and wander all around it? What she said was unacceptable and she was calling for actions that are beyond civil protest and were harassment. She even used the word harassment. But you can't just say "yes, she went too far" and have to hem and haw and wander around making long drawn out posts and never commit to a solid position. It is very frustrating.

This is what it feels like to debate anything with you:

making a point.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Except for the fact that, you know, he's him and you're not.
            True enough. I can only go by action and words. The words are mocking, condescending, and regularly childish. So you are right that I cannot see into anyone's heart - but we can know people by their actions.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            So why do you hate conservatives so much?
            I don't. And I don't think you will find places where i have mocked or demeaned people on this website (except when we're in a jesting place, like CP and I do now and again). If you know of a place where my posts were not about the argument but were specifically demeaning to the person, link them here. If I slipped (and I have before) I will apologize (I have before).

ETA: Well... there was that one "tool" comment...
            ETA: And the "you need a hammer to drive a pin into the ground?" reply...

Seriously, those were largely meant in jest. However, if they offended, I will apologize.

ETA: wow, my first version did not come out right
            I didn't see it... so

Comment

True enough. I can only go by action and words. The words are mocking, condescending, and regularly childish. So you are right that I cannot see into anyone's heart - but we can know people by their actions.
              So all your talk about people reading your mind...?

I don't. And I don't think you will find places where i have mocked or demeaned people on this website (except when we're in a jesting place, like CP and I do now and again). If you know of a place where my posts were not about the argument but were specifically demeaning to the person, link them here. If I slipped (and I have before) I will apologize (I have before).
              The evidence is right here on this site for all to see. If you don't see it, clearly you're just blinded by your bias.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

I didn't see it... so
              I typed something really stupid. Carry on....
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I don't need to, OBP. The site makes the case all on its little lonesome...
                Yeah, didn't think you could.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Oh I got his point...
                  Way to ignore his point, then.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    So all your talk about people reading your mind...?
                    Remains as stated. I noted that I cannot know someone's heart with any certainty, but actions do tell us about a person. My objections have been when people read things into my posts I did not put there, and then presume to tell me what I am thinking/feeling. Still, even that happens and sometimes people make a statement when they mean to ask a question: "you like to feel superior" vs. "do you like to feel superior?" My real objection is when someone tells me what I think/feel, I let them know they missed the mark, and they continue to tell me what I think/feel....

....and as I type that I realize I am basically doing the same thing. "Hate" is an emotive word. I don't actually know that anyone here "hates." For all I know, MM's normal style is to mimic the south end of a north-bound mule. (sorry, I just couldn't resist...he's just so easy... )

The best I can say is that the words are often hateful, mocking, and degrading to the person addressed. And it's not just from the right...it's a general tone of the site (at least the places I am allowed to visit).

The evidence is right here on this site for all to see. If you don't see it, clearly you're just blinded by your bias.
                    I have invited you to link any place you feel I have gone over the line. I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to.

Do you see what I'm getting at?
                    I think so. I wandered over my own line...

I typed something really stupid. Carry on....

Comment

I think Waters was not being clear in her speech, and runs of the risk of being misunderstood. Her comment, which I suspect is the one you are referring to was, "Let's make sure we show up wherever we have to show up. And if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere."

AFAIAC, she was fine until the last two sentences. "Push Back" was a bad choice of words because it could mean physically and some won't hesitate. The last part I am somewhat ambivalent about. It's not something I would say, and I think it is counterproductive. But if we're talking about a bunch of people in the street picketing and demonstrating, "you're not welcome anymore" is a perfectly acceptable chant, and better than a lot I've heard. As I said, not something I'm going to engage in, but if someone feels that way, who am I to tell them not to express it?
                      Waters has a long history of defending violent political action. During the rioting after the Rodney King verdict which resulted in 63 people being killed and nearly 2400 seriously injured Waters proclaimed that "I maintain it was somewhat understandable, if not acceptable." And that "Riot is the voice of the unheard."

During the rioting Reginald Denny, who was a truck driver who happened to be the wrong color was pulled from his truck and smashed in the head with a cinder block until he sustained brain damage by a mob led by Damien Williams (who did a victory dance over his motionless body). Williams was convicted and sent to prison but during the trial Mad Maxine visited his mother to offer her support and when some of his accomplices were acquitted celebrated at an acquittal party with them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Waters has a long history of defending violent political action. During the rioting after the Rodney King verdict which resulted in 63 people being killed and nearly 2400 seriously injured Waters proclaimed that "I maintain it was somewhat understandable, if not acceptable." And that "Riot is the voice of the unheard."

During the rioting Reginald Denny, who was a truck driver who happened to be the wrong color was pulled from his truck and smashed in the head with a cinder block until he sustained brain damage by a mob led by Damien Williams (who did a victory dance over his motionless body). Williams was convicted and sent to prison but during the trial Mad Maxine visited his mother to offer her support and when some of his accomplices were acquitted celebrated at an acquittal party with them.
                        I do not have time to chase down the accurateness of all of this, so the best I can say is, if all of this is true, it is reprehensible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Why can't you just simply get to the point and not waffle and wander all around it? What she said was unacceptable and she was calling for actions that are beyond civil protest and were harassment. She even used the word harassment. But you can't just say "yes, she went too far" and have to hem and haw and wander around making long drawn out posts and never commit to a solid position. It is very frustrating.

This is what it feels like to debate anything with you:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28618[/ATTACH]
                          No - I was fairly clear about my point, your art work not-withstanding.

Comment

No - I was fairly clear about my point, your art work not-withstanding.
                            Sure you were.

By the way, Maxine Waters is now trying to claim to be the victim and is blaming Trump for it!

Maxine Waters Cancels Events Due To 'Very Serious Death Threat,' Cites Trump's 'Lie'

After calling for more personal harassment of Trump Cabinet members, Democratic Congresswoman says she has been forced to cancel two upcoming events due to a "very serious death threat," which she suggested was prompted by President Trump's "lie" about her.

"As the President has continued to lie and falsely claim that I encouraged people to assault his supporters, while also offering a veiled threat that I should 'be careful', even more individuals are leaving (threatening) messages and sending hostile mail to my office," she said in a statement reported by CNN.

"There was one very serious death threat made against me on Monday from an individual in Texas which is why my planned speaking engagements in Texas and Alabama were cancelled (sic) this weekend," she continued. "This is just one in several very serious threats the United States Capitol Police are investigating in which individuals threatened to shoot, lynch, or cause me serious bodily harm."
                            https://www.dailywire.com/news/32461...-james-barrett

Now to me this sounds like the same thing Kathy Griffith did after she was caught with that horrible photo shoot holding an effigy of Trump's bloody head. She got in trouble from both sides but then she tried to blame Trump and play the victim.

In this case both sides are telling Waters what bad thing she did and she wants to blame Trump, that way she can both attack him and when she gets called on her behavior, attack him again. win/win.

Now if she actually got death threats, that is unacceptable. But it is not Trump's fault. It is her own fault for putting a stick in the hornet's nest. She doesn't deserve any death threats over it, and I hope they catch whoever did it, but Trump didn't cause it.

Comment

Sure you were.

By the way, Maxine Waters is now trying to claim to be the victim and is blaming Trump for it!

Maxine Waters Cancels Events Due To 'Very Serious Death Threat,' Cites Trump's 'Lie'

After calling for more personal harassment of Trump Cabinet members, Democratic Congresswoman says she has been forced to cancel two upcoming events due to a "very serious death threat," which she suggested was prompted by President Trump's "lie" about her.

"As the President has continued to lie and falsely claim that I encouraged people to assault his supporters, while also offering a veiled threat that I should 'be careful', even more individuals are leaving (threatening) messages and sending hostile mail to my office," she said in a statement reported by CNN.

"There was one very serious death threat made against me on Monday from an individual in Texas which is why my planned speaking engagements in Texas and Alabama were cancelled (sic) this weekend," she continued. "This is just one in several very serious threats the United States Capitol Police are investigating in which individuals threatened to shoot, lynch, or cause me serious bodily harm."
                              https://www.dailywire.com/news/32461...-james-barrett

Now to me this sounds like the same thing Kathy Griffith did after she was caught with that horrible photo shoot holding an effigy of Trump's bloody head. She got in trouble from both sides but then she tried to blame Trump and play the victim.

In this case both sides are telling Waters what bad thing she did and she wants to blame Trump, that way she can both attack him and when she gets called on her behavior, attack him again. win/win.

Now if she actually got death threats, that is unacceptable. But it is not Trump's fault. It is her own fault for putting a stick in the hornet's nest. She doesn't deserve any death threats over it, and I hope they catch whoever did it, but Trump didn't cause it.
                              Yeah!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sure you were.

The dear lady is doubling down on stupidity....

Maxine Waters is done with 'nice guy politics'

Conservatives need more Maxines!
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment