Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yow - haven't had time to read the decision - I'm still hunting for the conclusion. But Ginsberg wrote the only dissent - I've found two concurrences thus far (Thomas and Gorsuch). I can see why DoJ is pleased - it does NOT look good for opposition on the broader issue at all. The limited decision is itself a bad sign - if religious views don't actually matter, then there's no reason for the Court to overturn the existing decisions out of Colorado - or for the Court to have taken the case. That they sent the message that it DOES matter is not a good sign for the rest.

Still gotta read it, of course...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Waiting now for the left meltdown........
      This ruling does not grant Christians a license to discriminate against homosexuals in future situations. It was specifically tailored to address the case that was in front of the court. In short, it's a one-off. In this case, plaintiffs alleged that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed animus against baker Jack Phillips instead of ruling impartially. That's what it's all about, not same sex marriage or wedding cakes per se.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        This ruling does not grant Christians a license to discriminate against homosexuals in future situations. It was specifically tailored to address the case that was in front of the court. In short, it's a one-off. In this case, plaintiffs alleged that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed animus against baker Jack Phillips instead of ruling impartially. That's what it's all about, not same sex marriage or wedding cakes per se.
        If you had read at least one of the opinions of the justices, you should have seen their decision wasn't a one off. I'm perplexed at your reaction.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          If you had read at least one of the opinions of the justices, you should have seen their decision wasn't a one off. I'm perplexed at your reaction.
          noted the limited frame of reference of the ruling.https://www.theguardian.com/law/2018...ecision-latest

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            The outcast has to fight for his share of justice.
            Considering how he was treated I'd say a very strong case can be made that here the outcast was the baker.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Yow - haven't had time to read the decision - I'm still hunting for the conclusion. But Ginsberg wrote the only dissent - I've found two concurrences thus far (Thomas and Gorsuch). I can see why DoJ is pleased - it does NOT look good for opposition on the broader issue at all. The limited decision is itself a bad sign - if religious views don't actually matter, then there's no reason for the Court to overturn the existing decisions out of Colorado - or for the Court to have taken the case. That they sent the message that it DOES matter is not a good sign for the rest.

Still gotta read it, of course...
              SCOTUS will be deciding this week which cases they'll be taking up in the upcoming year so it'll be interesting to see if they pick any more like this one.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nor was anyone arguing in favor of having a broad license to discriminate against gays.

Comment

noted the limited frame of reference of the ruling.https://www.theguardian.com/law/2018...ecision-latest
                  Since anti-alphabetsoup extremists are roughly as common as six-legged winged unicorns, this is hardly meaningful.

Kennedy also explicitly noted that there might be legitimate First Amendment and Fourteenth Amendment grounds -- both "speech" and "religious" -- allowing businesspeople to legitimately decline certain jobs. The Justices chose not to deal with those aspects in this case -- partly because some of the facts of the case (apparently involving what was said about the meaning of "create") were in dispute, and were unknowable. He also noted the disparate treatment given to Phillips compared to other similar cases; one could *infer* that he was suggesting that given the proper impartial and respectful treatment, the Commission would have, and should have, ruled differently.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Nor was anyone arguing in favor of having a broad license to discriminate against gays.
                    Last edited by Tassman; 06-05-2018, 05:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      You said you were ignoring me!

Comment

• My apologies - I think I get you confused with Starlight. You guys are like the neighborhood evil twins or something.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What rogue said. My and the courts arguments were very specific on this issue, and the court saw it exactly as I do. You guys arguing against it are being very short sighted. The ruling referenced 3 (THREE) other cases of attempts to force a shop to put DEFAMATORY remarks against gays on (wedding?) cakes! You simply can't with prejudice allow those bakers to object and refuse to make those cakes while at the same time allow this suit against this bakery to succeed. This is the way free speach and freedom of religion works. As soon as you start trying to make exceptions you open the door to the elimination of the freedom in its entirety. This is why the ACLU exists. You must allow that which you don't like to be spoken in order to preserve your right to speak that which you believe in even if it is not popular or is contrary to the reigning political offices. This is what Trump and those who ally with him do not understand. And it turns out it is what carpedeum and tassman and the rest of you arguing to have this bakery slammed with a ruling against them also do not understand! We must have a free press. We must have the freedom of speach. We must have the freedom of religion if we are to remain a free nation. When people jump on the bandwagon of opportunistically restricting those freedoms in others we head down the road to tyranny against us all. All of these shops deserve the right not to participate in that which they do not believe in when it comes to specialized symbols promoting events, ideas, or beliefs, which is what these cakes are.

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You said you were ignoring me!
                            Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            My apologies - I think I get you confused with Starlight. You guys are like the neighborhood evil twins or something.
                            Actually, it WAS you....

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            I assume you got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.
                            But, of course, maybe ducks where you come from allow the water to run off their back, then turn to address it.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually, it WAS you....

But, of course, maybe ducks where you come from allow the water to run off their back, then turn to address it.
                              Apart from the occasional slip I am like Robin to your Batman. Doing it to the baddies but being a bit bad ourselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                Apart from the occasional slip I am like Robin to your Batman. Doing it to the baddies but being a bit bad ourselves.
                                If Cow Poke is Batman, then you are probably closer to Quiltman.

Comment