Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Warning! Anecdotal story that may be handwaved at will!
    My baby sister is a pretty successful baker in Ohio, and she got a phone call from a competitor (they're actually good friends) who advised her that she (the competitor - let's call her Ann) had a visit from a couple of women asking for a cake for their wedding. Ann asked the date of the wedding, and they didn't seem to know at first, then came up with a date. Ann told them "I'm terribly sorry, but I am booked up solid, and I close for a week just before that date".

Ann thinks they're shopping for a lawsuit.

According to my sis, Ann actually DOES close every year for a week in August, and one after Thanksgiving.
    You can guarantee that is what they were doing.

Comment

Wow, so make up you mind... is it "IT'S JUST A CAKE", or are you complaining now that the baker makes too simple a cake. Wedding cakes are not "Standard" unless you just go in somewhere and buy one off the shelf.
      You are the one making the argument that it's OK to refuse to make a wedding cake on artistic grounds...not I. You've undermined your own argument. Unless you think that sticking a couple of figurines on top of a traditional wedding cake constitutes artistic creativity.

Tassma, your head is so screwed up on this you don't even know what you're arguing.
      Got a mirror?

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        You can guarantee that is what they were doing.
        But of course it is. Everyone knows that evil homosexuals enjoy persecuting good and decent Evangelicals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman
          Unless you think that sticking a couple of figurines on top of a traditional wedding cake constitutes artistic creativity.
          Are you honestly so ignorant that you are not aware of all that is being done in the bakery business nowadays? Seriously, do you not have internet so you can look up custom wedding cakes and see the artistry involved in them? Have you never, ever watched a baking competition program about wedding cakes?

You come off as a simpleton.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Are you honestly so ignorant that you are not aware of all that is being done in the bakery business nowadays? Seriously, do you not have internet so you can look up custom wedding cakes and see the artistry involved in them? Have you never, ever watched a baking competition program about wedding cakes?

You come off as a simpleton.
            I don't think he's that ignorant - I think he's pretending to be to fit his prejudice, and it's more dishonest.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              You are the one making the argument that it's OK to refuse to make a wedding cake on artistic grounds...not I.
              This is so typically dishonest of you - it's not "on artistic grounds", its on religious conviction. You clearly have no comprehension of the argument.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't think he's that ignorant - I think he's pretending to be to fit his prejudice, and it's more dishonest.
                willful ignorance

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  willful ignorance
                  Which is dishonest.

Comment

This is so typically dishonest of you - it's not "on artistic grounds", its on religious conviction. You clearly have no comprehension of the argument.
                    Sigh!

Your argument was that an "artist" cannot be forced to be creative against his "religious conviction". It's the "artistic" aspect of it I'm questioning, because it's blatantly obvious that it's a rationalisation of religious prejudice and the demand to discriminate against those of whom the cakes-maker doesn't approve. This is an offence against the Civil Rights Act.

Comment

Sigh!
                      Probably one of the most intelligent things you've said in a while.

Comment

Probably one of the most intelligent things you've said in a while.
                        Sigh!

Comment

Sigh!
                          I'm reasonably sure the horse is dead.

(says the pot to the kettle... )
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            I'm reasonably sure the horse is dead.

(says the pot to the kettle... )
                            But the beatings will continue until the horse revives and wins the Triple Crown!

Comment

• I have a few minutes, so let me pretend - against all evidence - you're actually interested in dialogue

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Your argument was that an "artist" cannot be forced to be creative against his "religious conviction".
                              Actually no.

A) In GENERAL, an artist cannot be forced to be creative against his will, except in dictatorial societies, which you pretend to abhor.
                              2) This particular baker declined to be forced to be creative, and his religious conviction was his reason.

It's the "artistic" aspect of it I'm questioning
                              Of course, because

A) you have no concept at all what a real wedding cake is
                              2) you probably know, but have to pervert this concept into "just a cake" to accommodate your attack on Christianity

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Rong!

I already showed that they were asking him to make a custom cake for their wedding. In the baker's own words and from his attorneys. If you want to claim it was some generic cake then you need to show some evidence. Not even the gay couple was claiming all they wanted was a generic cake.
                                If the baker sells custom designed wedding cakes to heterosexuals, then he sells custom designed wedding cakes period, and so can't discriminate as to who he designs them for. He's not designing the cakes with regard to what he believes, that's a ruse, he's designing them for the client.
                                Last edited by JimL; 08-05-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment