Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole idea of this Civil Rights Commission sounds fishy. People bring complaints to the Commission, which holds hearings and makes rulings and issues orders. I'm wondering where the jury of one's peers comes in. Does the Commission follow normal principles regarding presumption of innocence and burden of proof?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      This is just poor writing; the language implies a 5-4 ruling.
      Not "poor writing" but "spin". I very much doubt it was just a bad choice of terms. It was deliberate spin to soften the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I was...
        Burn the witch!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          The bolded part is why my church has voted to stop renting out our church facilities to non-church members. We do not want to be sued by the gay couple who wants to rent our church for their wedding. (There are many "Wedding Chapels" to rent in my area)
          What if a gay couple claims they are Christian and can show baptism certificates from a liberal church?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Not "poor writing" but "spin". I very much doubt it was just a bad choice of terms. It was deliberate spin to soften the decision.
            Virtually every news account uses similar "poor writing"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What if a gay couple claims they are Christian and can show baptism certificates from a liberal church?
              They have to be members of our local body. Our churches are autonomous bodies aligned with a governing body.
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                Reading the Opinion of the Court, I came across this:

When it comes to weddings, it can be assumed that a member of the clergy who objects to gay marriage on moral and religious grounds could not be compelled to perform the ceremony without denial of his or her right to the free exercise of religion. This refusal would be well understood in our constitutional order as an exercise of religion, an exercise that gay persons could recognize and accept without serious diminishment to their own dignity and worth.
                https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...6-111_j4el.pdf
                Yeah!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In our Church, they have to be in agreement with the Baptist Faith & Message 2000, which clearly defines "family"....

Source: BF&M

XVIII. The Family

God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. It is composed of persons related to one another by marriage, blood, or adoption.

Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in covenant commitment for a lifetime. It is God's unique gift to reveal the union between Christ and His church and to provide for the man and the woman in marriage the framework for intimate companionship, the channel of sexual expression according to biblical standards, and the means for procreation of the human race.

The husband and wife are of equal worth before God, since both are created in God's image. The marriage relationship models the way God relates to His people. A husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church. He has the God-given responsibility to provide for, to protect, and to lead his family. A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ. She, being in the image of God as is her husband and thus equal to him, has the God-given responsibility to respect her husband and to serve as his helper in managing the household and nurturing the next generation.

Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord. Parents are to demonstrate to their children God's pattern for marriage. Parents are to teach their children spiritual and moral values and to lead them, through consistent lifestyle example and loving discipline, to make choices based on biblical truth. Children are to honor and obey their parents.

Genesis 1:26-28; 2:15-25; 3:1-20; Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Joshua 24:15; 1 Samuel 1:26-28; Psalms 51:5; 78:1-8; 127; 128; 139:13-16; Proverbs 1:8; 5:15-20; 6:20-22; 12:4; 13:24; 14:1; 17:6; 18:22; 22:6,15; 23:13-14; 24:3; 29:15,17; 31:10-31; Ecclesiastes 4:9-12; 9:9; Malachi 2:14-16; Matthew 5:31-32; 18:2-5; 19:3-9; Mark 10:6-12; Romans 1:18-32; 1 Corinthians 7:1-16; Ephesians 5:21-33; 6:1-4; Colossians 3:18-21; 1 Timothy 5:8,14; 2 Timothy 1:3-5; Titus 2:3-5; Hebrews 13:4; 1 Peter 3:1-7.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Where are all our leftist friends?
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Curled up on the fetal position crying like newborns.

Comment

Waiting for Rachel Madcow to tell them how to respond?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Curled up on the fetal position crying like newborns.
                          Oh right, they all went to their safe space. I forgot...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I have read some of the majority opinion - it is narrow in that you just can't refuse to serve anyone who comes into the shop. But you can on special orders that require further artistice work by the owner if it violates his religious beliefs. Pretty much what we have arguing here.
                            One very key element of the decision was the recognition that in 3 cases bakers were deemed within their rights to refuse to make wedding cakes that DEMEANED gay marriage or gay people. Which is exactly what I was saying over and over again. If they had ruled against the cake shop, people could demand cakes be made that voiced any manner of themes offensive to the cake maker, and possibly the majority US population, and the baker would have no choice but to oblige. It would be a horrible outcome. The decision itself, in many ways, lays out both sides of the discussion we had here. Most significantly to me the recognition that this specific case pits to 'good' elements directly in opposition with each other. With the outcome - in a 7-2 decision - mirroring arguments made by myself, seer, sparko, cow poke, and rogue that in this case (the fact this was a specially designed and unique cake with no refusal to provide any of the general services of the shop) the baker's right to free exercise of his religion took precedence.

Jim
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-04-2018, 02:19 PM.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Waiting for Rachel Madcow to tell them how to respond?
                              For the most part I like Maddow.

Jim
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                One very key element of the decision was the recognition that in 3 cases bakers were deemed within their rights to refuse to make wedding cakes that DEMEANED gay marriage or gay people. Which is exactly what I was saying over and over again. If they had ruled against the cake shop, people could demand cakes be made that voiced any manner of themes offensive to the cake maker, and possibly the majority US population, and the baker would have no choice but to oblige. It would be a horrible outcome. The decision itself, in many ways, lays out both sides of the discussion we had here. Most significantly to me the recognition that this specific case pits to 'good' elements directly in opposition with each other. With the outcome - in a 7-2 decision - mirroring arguments made by myself, seer, sparko and rogue that in this case (the fact this was a specially designed and unique cake with no refusal to provide any of the general services of the shop) the baker's right to free exercise of his religion took precedence.

Jim
                                Right, and I think it was in Thomas' concurring opinion that mentioned that the baker sat down with the couple and told them he would be happy to make them just about any other kind of cake, like a birthday cake. So he wasn't generally denying them service. He just did not want to be involved in a gay marriage.

Comment