Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NFL�s Proposed National Anthem Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You do realize that "In God We Trust" was added to coins under Abraham Lincoln, long before McCarthy, no? (According to The Congressional Record (1908, House), p. 3387)
    Yup. At the behest of Treasury Secretary Salmon P. Chase who in 1861 asked Director of the Mint, James Pollock, to come up with and implement a new motto that included God. Very likely Joseph McCarthy's father wasn't even born then much less was it during McCarthyism

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Um.... no.

Source: treasury.gov

The use of IN GOD WE TRUST has not been uninterrupted. The motto disappeared from the five-cent coin in 1883, and did not reappear until production of the Jefferson nickel began in 1938. Since 1938, all United States coins bear the inscription. Later, the motto was found missing from the new design of the double-eagle gold coin and the eagle gold coin shortly after they appeared in 1907. In response to a general demand, Congress ordered it restored, and the Act of May 18, 1908, made it mandatory on all coins upon which it had previously appeared. IN GOD WE TRUST was not mandatory on the one-cent coin and five-cent coin. It could be placed on them by the Secretary or the Mint Director with the Secretary's approval.

The motto has been in continuous use on the one-cent coin since 1909, and on the ten-cent coin since 1916. It also has appeared on all gold coins and silver dollar coins, half-dollar coins, and quarter-dollar coins struck since July 1, 1908.

source

© Copyright Original Source

Wow... thanks for the intel. My information was badly incorrect.

So the slogan has a longer history than I thought (and readers should discount my earlier comments - I was misinformed.

I do stand behind the belief that it is divisive, and should be eliminated. Currency that is silent about gods offends no one. Currency that makes claims about gods (existing or not existing) alienates some part of our citizenry.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Wow... thanks for the intel. My information was badly incorrect.

So the slogan has a longer history than I thought (and readers should discount my earlier comments - I was misinformed.

I do stand behind the belief that it is divisive, and should be eliminated.
        I'm shocked.

Currency that is silent about gods offends no one. Currency that makes claims about gods (existing or not existing) alienates some part of our citizenry.
        Ya know, it seems it's only been in the last 5 to 10 years that people spend so much time looking for things at which to be offended.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is normal to theists, who have dominated society for most of human history.
          It is normal to atheists, too; they just happen to not like what is normal.
          And I said they were...?
          You didn't. Ever notice that something is only "divisive" when the left doesn't like it?
          It doesn't
          Your protest rings hollow, as it is belied by your actions.
          Actually...not... as I have repeatedly said. I use them if I have to. I avoid them when I don't.
          Yep. As I've said before, actions speak louder than words. What you're doing is demanding your 'safe space' so you don't have to deal with a concept you don't like. Ergo, snowflake.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Exactly. And slavery was normal for many centuries/millennia. "Normal" does not mean "right."

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            You didn't. Ever notice that something is only "divisive" when the left doesn't like it?
            No. A thing is divisive when it divides. So when the left/atheists insist that theists cannot pray in a public school - it is divisive. When the right insists we have to express belief in a god in our creed and on our money, it is divisive. Anything that separates people needlessly is divisive.

My actions?

Yep. As I've said before, actions speak louder than words. What you're doing is demanding your 'safe space' so you don't have to deal with a concept you don't like. Ergo, snowflake.
            As you wish, OBP. What I am actually doing is aligning my behavior with my beliefs to the degree that the infrastructure makes it possible for me to do so. Since I do not believe there is a god - handing out a "business card" that says I do is inconsistent - so I do not whenever and wherever I can avoid it. If that makes me a "snowflake," ... then I suggest the term has no real meaning.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I'm shocked.

Ya know, it seems it's only been in the last 5 to 10 years that people spend so much time looking for things at which to be offended.
              Oh I think it's been a tad longer than that...

Let me see... Great Schism...Burning of Alexandria...Inquisition...Puritan trials...French Revolution...KKK...Hitler...McCarthyism...Khmer Rouge...Pol Pot...Trump...(ok, that last one IS in the last few years)

Comment

Oh I think it's been a tad longer than that...

Let me see... Great Schism...Burning of Alexandria...Inquisition...Puritan trials...French Revolution...KKK...Hitler...McCarthyism...Khmer Rouge...Pol Pot...Trump...(ok, that last one IS in the last few years)
                No. Not even.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

I really noticed that during coverage of the death of John Paul II. Only the things he supported that the left didn't like were deemed to be "controversial."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No. Not even.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      I think this is rather simple but you completely miss the point.
                      Let's say I find the stament "Jjiljihilh is klhiogioh" completely meaningles. Let's say that even though I find it completely meaningles I am aware that other people have a particular interpretation of the statement "Jjiljihilh is klhiogioh". This particular interpretation of a statement I find meaningles causes these people to act in certain ways that I disagree with morally and they live their life in a way that I don't support or agree with. Should the fact that I find the statement meaningles cause me to have no worries about spreading it when it has got consequences I don't like? I think you know the answer....
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In your opinion...
                        Which is a curious view you have. Do you put in this sort of effort into other nonexistent things? Do you scrub your life of references to ghost, astrology, or the multitude of holiday characters out there?
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

"My school is named after George Washington and he owned slaves...." WWAAAAAAaaaaaannnnhhhhhhhh
                          "Our school's baseball team is named 'the Indians'...." WAAAAAaaaaannnnnhhhhh
                          "There's a street downtown named Columbus, and he....." WAAAAaaaannnhhhhhh

It reminds me of the petty stupid stuff we used to do at the dinner table... "Mom, Paul is looking at me, tell him to stop!" Waaaaaannnnhhhhhh

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Which is a curious view you have. Do you put in this sort of effort into other nonexistent things? Do you scrub your life of references to ghost, astrology, or the multitude of holiday characters out there?
                            Other "nonexistent things" do not require me to hand out business cards that they exist...

Comment

"My school is named after George Washington and he owned slaves...." WWAAAAAAaaaaaannnnhhhhhhhh
                              "Our school's baseball team is named 'the Indians'...." WAAAAAaaaaannnnnhhhhh
                              "There's a street downtown named Columbus, and he....." WAAAAaaaannnhhhhhh

It reminds me of the petty stupid stuff we used to do at the dinner table... "Mom, Paul is looking at me, tell him to stop!" Waaaaaannnnhhhhhh
                              Yeah... I know what you mean...

"Other countries are not being fair to us..." WWAAAAAAaaaaaannnnhhhhhhhh
                              "That nasty MSM is so unfair to us...." WAAAAAaaaaannnnnhhhhh
                              "Those nasty liberals won't let us practice our religion" WAAAAaaaannnhhhhhh
                              "Those nasty liberals keep calling us names" WAAAAaaaannnhhhhhh

It remind me of all the times I told my boys, "who told you life was supposed to be fair?

Comment

Other "nonexistent things" do not require me to hand out business cards that they exist...
                                A) you're not required to hand out squat
                                2) we're quickly becoming a cashless society
                                C) To compare paper money with 'business cards' is just downright silly

Comment