Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    This just once again shows that the democrats are just going to use anything Trump says or does as something to criticize him over. If he was too harsh and direct, they would have complained about him not being polite enough. They criticize him for eating more ice-cream than his guests, for eating fast food, for feeding fish incorrectly, etc.

All they are doing is showing their own pettiness.
    In all fairness (and with sincere sympathy) I think Pelosi is suffering from some kind of dementia or illness... she's been saying some pretty weird things, punctuated with blank stares, inappropriate giggles, incoherent or slurred speech....

I'm going to try harder not to use her as an example of what the left is saying.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      In all fairness (and with sincere sympathy) I think Pelosi is suffering from some kind of dementia or illness... she's been saying some pretty weird things, punctuated with blank stares, inappropriate giggles, incoherent or slurred speech....

I'm going to try harder not to use her as an example of what the left is saying.
      She has done that for many years now.

Comment

She has done that for many years now.
        Yeah, I think it's getting more common, and more pronounced. Did I tell you I actually MET her in DC?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's getting more common, and more pronounced. Did I tell you I actually MET her in DC?
          Did you wash your hands afterwards? It might be infectious.

Comment

Did you wash your hands afterwards? It might be infectious.
            OK, so I didn't actually "MEET" her, she was on the floor and I was in the galley looking down at her -- but I was in the same ROOM!!!!

Comment

OK, so I didn't actually "MEET" her, she was on the floor and I was in the galley looking down at her -- but I was in the same ROOM!!!!
              You didn't even get to touch the hem of her robe?

Comment

You didn't even get to touch the hem of her robe?
                Nor did I have any such desire.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  If Un now ratchets down the rhetoric, he's "adhering to U.S. demands," which is a shameful position to be in.
                  Actually, it's not. That's his out.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Has she referred to Trump as "Bush" lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Actually, it's not. That's his out.
                      Based on that response, I have to wonder just how much you understand shame-based societies. This response appears to measured against domestic ideals.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Based on that response, I have to wonder just how much you understand shame-based societies. This response appears to measured against domestic ideals.
                        Like I said, Trump's letter seems carefully worded to make it clear that it's Kim's belligerence that will cost him honor. In other words, "It's your own fault if you lose honor." Of particular importance is that Trump never attempted to strip Kim of honor and give it to himself. On the contrary, he worded it so that if Kim returns to the negotiating table then they will both receive honor.

I think part of your problem here is an unwillingness to admit that Trump and his advisers may actually know what they're doing.

Comment

Like I said, Trump's letter seems carefully worded to make it clear that it's Kim's belligerence that will cost him honor. In other words, "It's your own fault if you lose honor." Of particular importance is that Trump never attempted to strip Kim of honor and give it to himself. On the contrary, he worded it so that if Kim returns to the negotiating table then they will both receive honor.
                          From the letter: "I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting." And the cause is KJU's bellicose rhetoric. The word "honor" does not appear anywhere. You're adding things to the letter that are simply not there.

I think part of your problem here is an unwillingness to admit that Trump and his advisers may actually know what they're doing.
                          I think part of your problem is an unwillingness to admit that Trump and his advisers may not actually know what they are doing.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I think part of your problem is an unwillingness to admit that Trump and his advisers may not actually know what they are doing.
                            Yeah, cause you're ALWAYS so willing to concede the point the other way.

Trump has his own dumb way of doing things - but a lot of it seems to work. NK is wanting to get the talks back on track, and it's always better for the other guy to look more interested in something than you are. Hence "walking away power".

Comment

Yeah, cause you're ALWAYS so willing to concede the point the other way.
                              I actually have cited things Trump is doing that I approve of. It is long past time that we had a stronger stance against illegal immigration. No problem. It is long past time that we tackle the issue of intellectual property theft and unfair trade practices in China. No problem. Forcing other countries to pay their agreed-upon share into NATO - no problem. There are ways in which the U.S. has not been operating at parity with other countries.

But you are right that there are FAR more things about Trump that I disapprove of than that I approve of. I disagree with a lot of policies (e.g., tax cut PLUS spending increase is a disaster, projected to bringing debt/GDP to 108% by 2021); I disagree how he is achieving others (reducing regulation is a good thing; making it a numbers game under the control of people with a vested interest in their elimination is a horrible approach); and I disagree with most of his personal interactions and his lack of moral compass.

Trump has his own dumb way of doing things - but a lot of it seems to work. NK is wanting to get the talks back on track, and it's always better for the other guy to look more interested in something than you are. Hence "walking away power".
                              I do recognize the power of "walking away." However, it has to be factored in along with the cultural norms or it is less likely to work. That being said, I can only assess what I can see. I have no idea what Trump and his cronies are doing behind the scenes, so we'll see.

Comment

I do recognize the power of "walking away." However, it has to be factored in along with the cultural norms or it is less likely to work. That being said, I can only assess what I can see. I have no idea what Trump and his cronies are doing behind the scenes, so we'll see.
                                Three prisoners are home from NK with their families. Trump is a boob, and doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Comment