Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Now A Census Question Is Evil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I've seen you do this as well, so the idea that it's unique to the "other" posters on this forum seems obviously wrong.
    This sentence is ambiguous. I'm not sure what "this" is in your sentence.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      This sentence is ambiguous. I'm not sure what "this" is in your sentence.
      Telling other posters what they "really mean."
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

That was actually a serious question. Your statement was ambiguous and I was looking for clarification.

Why would she be proud that it took her 20 years to get her citizenship?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Why would she be proud that it took her 20 years to get her citizenship?
          There are several reasons possible I can think of, but NVM. The original statement was ambiguous. I realized I wasn't sure what you meant when I read it. I asked for a clarification instead of guessing. That appears to have been a problem (again). Really, Sparko, a simple "her citizenship" (I assume from your question above) would have answered the question. Despite your apparent opinion, I am not out to do anything nefarious here.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Telling other posters what they "really mean."
            Please point me to any place where I have done that. It is a behavior I work very hard NOT to do - so if I have slipped up somewhere, I want to know it and apologize for it.

ETA: That request was NOT made in the spirit of "prove it." It was made in the spirit of "that is not something I want to be doing."
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-29-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Please point me to a place where I have done that. It is a behavior I work very hard NOT to do - so if I have slipped up somewhere, I want to know it and apologize for it.
              Your comments to Cow Poke in the Billy Graham thread come to mind.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I just went back and reviewed it - and you're right. At the time, I believed I was speaking to implications (which is a normal/natural part of discussion), but upon review, I realize now that I really wasn't - I crossed the line to telling CP what his argument was - rather than asking him if I had the interpretation correctly.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Comment

There are several reasons possible I can think of, but NVM. The original statement was ambiguous. I realized I wasn't sure what you meant when I read it. I asked for a clarification instead of guessing. That appears to have been a problem (again). Really, Sparko, a simple "her citizenship" (I assume from your question above) would have answered the question. Despite your apparent opinion, I am not out to do anything nefarious here.
                  I just thought you were making a joke.

Comment

I just thought you were making a joke.
                    No harm done. I am somewhat used to the emoji being primarily used to ridicule or disparage something someone else is saying, so that's how I interpreted it here. Apparently that was the wrong interpretation in this case.

Comment

No harm done. I am somewhat used to the emoji being primarily used to ridicule or disparage something someone else is saying, so that's how I interpreted it here. Apparently that was the wrong interpretation in this case.
                      I thought you were just playing dumb so that is why I used it. I was laughing with you.

Comment

Oh goodness, does this mean you guys are about to make up and cuddle now?

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                          Oh goodness, does this mean you guys are about to make up and cuddle now?

Comment

Get a room

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I thought you were just playing dumb so that is why I used it. I was laughing with you.
                              I wasn't laughing at the time - hence the disconnect.

Perhaps a lesson here for future exchanges. Instead of assuming I am thinking X or intend Y, just ask me? Or better yet, I have no problem with the occasional communication snafu - but when I tell you "no - that's not what I'm trying to say," maybe give some thought to the possibility that you might have actually misunderstood my intent? It might be my lousy expression - or it might be you use a word differently than I, but I am not actively seeking to create problems. I'm a little more mature than that.

Comment

When my children use the phrase, "that is not fair," I usually remind them no one guaranteed them life would be fair, usually followed by a "stop whining." I've been tempted to send Trump a postcard.
                                You should send to other libs complaining 'but Hillary won popular votes "
                                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment