Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

2018 Midterm Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carpedm: pendulum swings, Reps winning big means huge blue wave, Dems will win 2018 big!!!

demi: doesn't that mean huge red wave in 2020, Trump winning 2020 big???
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      carpedm: pendulum swings, Reps winning big means huge blue wave, Dems will win 2018 big!!!

It's a good question. The pendulum will, undoubtedly, swing again. However, I don't remember it swinging THAT fast. And Trump is hugely unpopular (except with his base, of course). It is still early, and we don't know what competition is facing him, but I have many reasons to hope Trump will be out in 2020.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        It's a good question. The pendulum will, undoubtedly, swing again. However, I don't remember it swinging THAT fast.
        2 years sounds too fast, yes.

That is why domination of Trump should last longer than 2 years. This is reason to think that Trump will last 8 years, like Bush Jr, also Obama.

Comment

2 years sounds too fast, yes.

That is why domination of Trump should last longer than 2 years. This is reason to think that Trump will last 8 years, like Bush Jr, also Obama.
          Or one term - like Carter...

There is some similarity there. Carter rode into office on a reactive wave - largely to the entire Nixon/Agnew/Ford mess. Trump rode into power on a tide of populist/nationalistic furvor. Carter was a weak, timid, issue-focused president. Trump is a weak, bellicose, issue-focused president. There is also some difference: Carter was a strongly moral man, which actually was part of what made him weak; Trump has the morals of a pre-schooler, which is part of what makes him weak.

Ultimately, the mistake Trump is making is to play almost exclusively to his base. His margin in 2016 was razor thin (fewer than 100,000 votes in three states), and less than 1% in several others. All of this is speculation, obviously, but I find the signs hopeful. I hope to see a resounding "You're Fired" in 2020, with someone more suited to the office elected. It does not matter to me all that much if they are Rep or Dem. Right now, given the power issue in Congress, I advocate Dem. However, I suspect what will happen is Dems will take house in 2018, then they will take Senate and Exec office in 2020, and I will be rooting for Reps to regain some power in 2022.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

carpedm: pendulum swings, Reps winning big means huge blue wave, Dems will win 2018 big!!!

Why don't you wait to see if Trump even makes it through his first term before worrying about his being elected for a second term?

Comment

Or one term - like Carter...

There is some similarity there. Carter rode into office on a reactive wave - largely to the entire Nixon/Agnew/Ford mess. Trump rode into power on a tide of populist/nationalistic furvor. Carter was a weak, timid, issue-focused president. Trump is a weak, bellicose, issue-focused president. There is also some difference: Carter was a strongly moral man, which actually was part of what made him weak; Trump has the morals of a pre-schooler, which is part of what makes him weak.
              Like usual, you don't understand situation. Trump is strong, respected by important world leaders (China, Russia, Japan, India).

Ultimately, the mistake Trump is making is to play almost exclusively to his base.
              Again, carped doesn't understand. Trump united voters usually on different side of political divide, Rep middle class voters and normally-Dem blue collars workers, and is good at keeping promises to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Why don't you wait to see if Trump even makes it through his first term before worrying about his being elected for a second term?
                Projecting again. Demi is not "worrying" at all, you libs are!!!

Comment

Like usual, you don't understand situation. Trump is strong, respected by important world leaders (China, Russia, Japan, India).
                  If you say so. What I see is world leaders either rejecting him, laughing at him, or pandering to his ego to get what they want.

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                  Again, carped doesn't understand. Trump united voters usually on different side of political divide, Rep middle class voters and normally-Dem blue collars workers, and is good at keeping promises to them.
                  Trump largely won because the Dems were stupid. They picked an incredibly hated candidate, and then they manipulated to have Sanders excluded. A good chunk of voters dissatisfied with Sander's treatment ended up voting for Trump (6-12%). That alone was enough to push him over the top (especially in the three swing states, where if even 3% shifted, that was larger than Trump's maergin of victory). Since then - he HAS worked to keep many promises - the ones important to his base. That narrow focus is exactly what the Dems did.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if Sanders becomes the Dem candidate for 2020.

But we shall see... all of this is simply "reading the tea leaves." That being said - I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is: loser buys the winner a dinner! Deal?
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-30-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

If you say so. What I see is world leaders either rejecting him, laughing at him, or pandering to his ego to get what they want.
                    Like demi said, you need to stop watching Fake News, also clinging to comforter of MediaFactBiasCheck.

Trump largely won because the Dems were stupid.
                    Keep underestimating Trump, result will be hilarious!

They picked an incredibly hated candidate, and then they manipulated to have Sanders excluded. A good chunk of voters dissatisfied with Sander's treatment ended up voting for Trump (6-12%). That alone was enough to push him over the top (especially in the three swing states, where if even 3% shifted, that was larger than Trump's maergin of victory).
                    Dems are famous for bussing voters, also illegals voting. Trump's margin should probably be around 10+%

Since then - he HAS worked to keep many promises - the ones important to his base. That narrow focus is exactly what the Dems did.
                    He has a wide base, silly.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if Sanders becomes the Dem candidate for 2020.
                    '''''''''Centrists''''''''''''' like you will , 'Politics is now so polarised, extremists took over parties '

But we shall see... all of this is simply "reading the tea leaves." That being said - I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is: loser buys the winner a dinner! Deal?
                    I am not betting man, so will just make do with being right, like when first Trumpslide happens!

Comment

Like demi said, you need to stop watching Fake News, also clinging to comforter of MediaFactBiasCheck.

Keep underestimating Trump, result will be hilarious!

Dems are famous for bussing voters, also illegals voting. Trump's margin should probably be around 10+%

He has a wide base, silly.

'''''''''Centrists''''''''''''' like you will , 'Politics is now so polarised, extremists took over parties '

I am not betting man, so will just make do with being right, like when first Trumpslide happens!
                      See you in 2020

Comment

See you in 2020
                        Well, demi hopes to see you, also that you won't hurt yourself that badly!

Comment

Well, demi hopes to see you, also that you won't hurt yourself that badly!
                          I'm sure I won't Demi.

You know, it might be interesting to actually meet face-to-face. I travel extensively. Any possibility that might happen?

Comment

I'm sure I won't Demi.

You know, it might be interesting to actually meet face-to-face. I travel extensively. Any possibility that might happen?
                            Going to Russia anytime soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Going to Russia anytime soon?
                              I may be wrong, but I suspect Demi lives stateside.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I suspect Demi lives stateside.
                                1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC. Ask for Don.

Comment