Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump To Meet Kim Jong Un

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Indeed. But I fear it'll be more of the same. A delaying tactic where we'll agree on the basics and get bogged down in the details until Kim Jong-Un announces they have an ICBM (which experts say they're about a year away from developing).
    I trust Trump. He has proven to be very smart and effective in his international policy dealings, and the recently announced tariffs give him a very big stick to wield.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I trust Trump. He has proven to be very smart and effective in his international policy dealings, and the recently announced tariffs give him a very big stick to wield.
      It seems to be his "style" to announce something a bit outrageous in order to negotiate (dial it back) to what he really wants.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I just wonder how much pressure China has put on NK...
        My guess is, a lot. Trump's tariffs could economically devastate China, and they know they gotta give up something significant or feel Trump's boot on their back.

Comment

It seems to be his "style" to announce something a bit outrageous in order to negotiate (dial it back) to what he really wants.
          Pretty typical in the business world from the very top all the way down to haggling in a marketplace. The fact that very few politicians come from a business background makes them unsure of what to do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Pretty typical in the business world from the very top all the way down to haggling in a marketplace. The fact that very few politicians come from a business background makes them unsure of what to do.
            I think he carries it a bit further than most, though. And I'm a haggler from way back!

Most recently - Discount Tires....

Discount Tire: "allowance for your warranty on your old tires is $73, and 2 new tires plus install and taxes... total comes to $587.
            Me, pointing to "bottom line": I need this number to be $500 even.
            Discount tire: (expressing surprise and running finger down all costs and line items) "Which line do you want me to change?"
            Me: "I really don't care, I just need THIS number to be $500 even".

They did, and a customer who was listening to all this asked me "you can DO that?"
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think he carries it a bit further than most, though. And I'm a haggler from way back!

Most recently - Discount Tires....

Discount Tire: "allowance for your warranty on your old tires is $73, and 2 new tires plus install and taxes... total comes to $587.
              Me, pointing to "bottom line": I need this number to be $500 even.
              Discount tire: (expressing surprise and running finger down all costs and line items) "Which line do you want me to change?"
              Me: "I really don't care, I just need THIS number to be $500 even".

They did, and a customer who was listening to all this asked me "you can DO that?"
              And here I thought I did well by getting my second to last new tire for $30 less than the listed price

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And here I thought I did well by getting my second to last new tire for $30 less than the listed price
                The kicker is the warranty - if your tires were rated at 60,000 miles, and you only got 48,000 miles out of them (or there is still a little tread left on them) they'll give you an allowance for the old tires - and that's negotiable. Often, they won't mention it at all, or they'll give you a "just to make you feel good" number. I go for the max.

Comment

My guess is, a lot. Trump's tariffs could economically devastate China, and they know they gotta give up something significant or feel Trump's boot on their back.
                  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-new-silk-road

Comment

The tariffs, properly employed, could very easily isolate China and significantly limit who might be willing to do business with them. Again, it's no coincidence that this whole N. Korea thing came to fruition on the same day that Trump's trade policy went into effect. China knows they're not dealing with a pantywaist who will grovel at their feet like Obama.

Comment

I'll give you hint: it's no coincidence that N. Korea suddenly wanted to negotiate when Trump announced his trade tariffs because they give our President incredible leverage. There's a reason Trump is treating trade like a national security matter, and why his cabinet is so enthusiastic about these developments.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...g-330pm-today/
                      Some interesting points from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-epic-analysis

Comment

That kind of fits with what I said. I think Kim is using it as a way to brag to his people how powerful he is, that the USA is scared of NK and is meeting with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          That kind of fits with what I said. I think Kim is using it as a way to brag to his people how powerful he is, that the USA is scared of NK and is meeting with him.
                          Here you can find the same point taken a bit further:

The North Korean dictator has already achieved most of what his Stalinist regime has long desired: to be seen as an equal of the almighty United States of America. By sitting opposite Trump, Kim need concede nothing to still come out as a winner.
                          And another great point (though of a different sort):

They say we get the leaders we deserve, and these two leaders surely deserve one another. But does the world really deserve its fate to be settled by two Little Rocket Men?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            Some interesting points from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-epic-analysis
                            I don't put much stock in The Guardian's opinion here because they're arguing from the assumed premise that they know something that the Trump administration doesn't. I can assure you, without reservation or qualification, that this is not the case.

Comment

I don't put much stock in The Guardian's opinion here because they're arguing from the assumed premise that they know something that the Trump administration doesn't. I can assure you, without reservation or qualification, that this is not the case.
                              I prefer The Guardian. I don't take too much interest in what you can "assure" without reservation or qualification.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                I prefer The Guardian. I don't take too much interest in what you can "assure" without reservation or qualification.
                                So you genuinely think a random journalist somehow knows more about these things than the teams of experts with access to classified information who are advising the President?

Yeah, OK.

Comment