Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump is coming for your guns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Well heck they only have a hour to solve the crime! Unless it is a two-parter.
    Every show has to have a tech genius that miraculously finds all the pieces of the puzzle and moves the show along. Before computers, they had to rely on Huggy Bears and other CI's to keep them moving in the right direction. In sci-fi movies it is usually some professor that just knows everything automagically.
    Or Columbo - "... oh, just one more thing...."

uPQxS-1480705982-71-show-940x370_Columbo.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well heck they only have a hour to solve the crime! Unless it is a two-parter...
      Actually, with commercials, they have like 27 minutes!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Actually, with commercials, they have like 27 minutes!
        They are working during the commercials! sheesh. give them some credit!

Comment

They are working during the commercials! sheesh. give them some credit!
          Of course! They could do a whole 'nuther program on "behind the scenes between segments"!

Comment

Of course! They could do a whole 'nuther program on "behind the scenes between segments"!
            a lot of the time it is when they do the traveling. The captain will tell them, "Go to x's apartment and bring him in for questioning" - then they go to a commercial and come back with the guy in the questioning room with all the rubber hoses and phone books!

Comment

a lot of the time it is when they do the traveling. The captain will tell them, "Go to x's apartment and bring him in for questioning" - then they go to a commercial and come back with the guy in the questioning room with all the rubber hoses and phone books!
              My Police Chief used to say "try a little kindness - if that doesn't work, take him to the basement with a rubber hose".

(he always made it abundantly clear that you'll be fired if you actually do that)

Comment

My Police Chief used to say "try a little kindness - if that doesn't work, take him to the basement with a rubber hose".

(he always made it abundantly clear that you'll be fired if you actually do that)
                You mean he made it abundantly clear that you'd be fired if you got caught, don't you?

Comment

Yeah and I don't think they even make phone books anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    You mean he made it abundantly clear that you'd be fired if you got caught, don't you?
                    What a truly moronic thing to say. No, he was a professional, and an excellent leader.

Comment

Yeah, just not as "quick and clean" as on TV. Kinda like MaGee on NCIS just "calling up traffic cams" and spotting the getaway vehicle, and identifying he's "at a Truck stop on I95 right now". WAIT, he just ran his credit card... Ah, he just made a cell phone call, and the tower is one block east of ....
                      There was a "reality" show recently, I forget the name, which put a bunch of "fugitive" contestants in competition with active and retired law enforcement to see how hard it would really be to go on the run. It wasn't NCIS level, but it was still impressive how easily they were able to track people down. Of course there were rules, such as they had to stay within a certain geographic region (so no running from California to Maine), and naturally the contestants couldn't do anything illegal to stay under the radar, so the odds were in favor of the cops. One pair did manage to make it to their exit point to win the $100,000 prize, although the show implied that the police were literally just minutes behind them.

I did wonder how much of the show was genuine and how much of it was propaganda to make it seem like the police were all-knowing in order to discourage people from trying to run.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        There was a "reality" show recently, I forget the name, which put a bunch of "fugitive" contestants in competition with active and retired law enforcement to see how hard it would really be to go on the run. It wasn't NCIS level, but it was still impressive how easily they were able to track people down. Of course there were rules, such as they had to stay within a certain geographic region (so no running from California to Maine), and naturally the contestants couldn't do anything illegal to stay under the radar, so the odds were in favor of the cops. One pair did manage to make it to their exit point to win the $100,000 prize, although the show implied that the police were literally just minutes behind them.

I did wonder how much of the show was genuine and how much of it was propaganda to make it seem like the police were all-knowing in order to discourage people from trying to run.
                        Yeah, I saw a couple episodes of that.... Hunted!

Premiering Jan. 22 after the AFC championship game (and then moving to its regular Wednesday at 8 p.m. slot on Jan. 25) Hunted has experts from the FBI, CIA, U.S. Marshal Service, and Navy Seals trying to track down contestants hiding within 100,000 square miles of the southeastern United States. Any team of two that evades capture for up to 28 days wins $250,000.

Comment

What a truly moronic thing to say. No, he was a professional, and an excellent leader.
                          What point would there be for even making such a suggestion then? I mean you said it, not me, and it doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            What point would there be for even making such a suggestion then? I mean you said it, not me, and it doesn't make any sense otherwise.
                            I'm going to pretend for a minute that you're a reasonably intelligent person - quite a stretch, but I'm gonna try.

He was mocking "the good old days" which we all knew were not all that good.

It doesn't make sense to you because you're... well.. you!

Comment

Yeah, I saw a couple episodes of that.... Hunted!

Premiering Jan. 22 after the AFC championship game (and then moving to its regular Wednesday at 8 p.m. slot on Jan. 25) Hunted has experts from the FBI, CIA, U.S. Marshal Service, and Navy Seals trying to track down contestants hiding within 100,000 square miles of the southeastern United States. Any team of two that evades capture for up to 28 days wins $250,000.
                              Ah, OK, a $250,000 prize. I knew it was a substantial amount.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm going to pretend for a minute that you're a reasonably intelligent person - quite a stretch, but I'm gonna try.

He was mocking "the good old days" which we all knew were not all that good.

It doesn't make sense to you because you're... well.. you!
                                Okay, that's a possibility I didn't think of. But how long ago were the good old days?

Comment