Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But liberals will "never let a good crisis go to waste".
    And conservatives do?

Police enforce laws, they do not make policy.
    In this case it seems like the officers decided to go with the parents of the child who was threatened. I'm not sure this is about policy. Couldn't the officers simply say, "Nah, we're taking this clown in." What other point was there to have him arrested other than this?

I seriously doubt you'll find any conservative who agrees to let criminal behavior continue just to "keep a kid in school", especially when it's clear that kid is a major source of trouble for others.
    You'd be mistaken. I work in a school with both liberals and conservatives who set policy.

There are few guarantees in life - we don't "not do something" because there's no guarantee it will work. At least, I don't.
    But that's the argument of conservatives, in a nut shell--don't outlaw guns because there's no guarantee it will work.

Or, just keep it a gunfree zone which equates all too often to a "killing field". Yeah, that's a lot better!
    Or when massacres happen anyway, we can just keep moving the goal posts, right?

How do you know what that teacher's political leanings are? That's a bit drama-queenish of you. After all, he was interested in becoming a police officer.
    It was reflective of comments on this thread and in the general population that teacher=liberal.

fwiw,
    guacamole
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Nothing will be 100% effective. Gun grabbers are willing to reduce shooting deaths by taking guns, but one failure of one armed guard and you want to throw out the whole idea.
      The obvious answer there is that you shouldn't make the defense of an entire school depend on a single person.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        The actual job of the police is not to prevent every crime. There job is to mop up afterwards.
        That actually was emphasized in a Supreme Court ruling several years ago in Warren v. District of Columbia where they declared that the police aren't there to provide protection

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Here would be an interesting question to ask teachers:

If a shooter entered your school, and you had access to a gun, would you use it to stop the shooter?

I wonder how many would answer yes?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            That actually was emphasized in a Supreme Court ruling several years ago in Warren v. District of Columbia where they declared that the police aren't there to provide protection
            And how many police departments have the motto "To Serve and Protect"?

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              And conservatives do?
              politicians do

In this case it seems like the officers decided to go with the parents of the child who was threatened. I'm not sure this is about policy. Couldn't the officers simply say, "Nah, we're taking this clown in." What other point was there to have him arrested other than this?
              I wasn't there, and neither were you.

You'd be mistaken. I work in a school with both liberals and conservatives who set policy.
              yay

But that's the argument of conservatives, in a nut shell--don't outlaw guns because there's no guarantee it will work.
              No, that's not the argument. The argument is that it's a 2nd Amendment Right.

Or when massacres happen anyway, we can just keep moving the goal posts, right?
              No, it's time to look at the actual factors involved, and stop using it as a "gun grabber" excuse.

It was reflective of comments on this thread and in the general population that teacher=liberal.

fwiw,
              guacamole
              You really should avoid those dumb general statements, as, particularly in this case, you were apparently stunningly wrong.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Here would be an interesting question to ask teachers:

If a shooter entered your school, and you had access to a gun, would you use it to stop the shooter?

I wonder how many would answer yes?
                It would have to be anonymous - kinda like those polls where people don't feel comfortable being honest because of the stigma....
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's usually "To Protect and to Serve", but, yeah....

Comment

The M14 was problematic, being wildly inaccurate.

The difference between an M16 and an AR-15, of course, is that...

The M16 has "selective fire" - it can be set to fire 'single shot' (semi-automatic) or fully automatic or "3 round bursts".
                    The AR-15 can only fire single shot (semi-automatic) as fast as you can pull the trigger.

(not assuming Adrift doesn't know this, but others seem to be really ignorant of this)

The "selective fire", or fully automatic mode, is what makes it an "assault rifle".

(yeah, I know - some of us disagree on the term "assault rifle" as opposed to "assault weapon")
                    Yep. Being assigned to the Wolf Pack squad at Ramstein Air Base, whose primary purpose was to be drilled for operation readiness inspections sort of hammered into my brain the design and history of the M16 (and a number of other weapons whose mechanical operation I was expected to know at the drop of a hat). My point was simply that the M16 was adapted from the AR-15 by the military because the AR-15 proved to be a much better weapon than the M14. I'm assuming the guy in the video mistook the M16 with the M14, but who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                      The argument of the gun grabbers is it might work so let's do it.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The M14 was problematic, being wildly inaccurate.
                        What? I qualified with both the M14 and 16, the M14 is superior in accuracy.

The SEALS still use the M14

https://navyseals.com/weapons-demo/m14/
                        Last edited by seer; 02-23-2018, 10:41 AM.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The overwhelming majority will protect. But that isn't their job.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The overwhelming majority will protect. But that isn't their job.
                            Meh... it isn't 'legally' their job, but most see it as their responsibility, I'd think.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              What? I qualified with both the M14 and 16, the M14 is superior in accuracy.

The SEALS still use the M14

https://navyseals.com/weapons-demo/m14/
                              In Vietnam, it was thought, in fully automatic mode, to be inaccurate, which is why they changed it to single fire - where it was very accurate. This is the very reason the AR-10, and subsequent M16 was developed.

Comment

In Vietnam, it was thought, in fully automatic mode, to be inaccurate, which is why they changed it to single fire - where it was very accurate. This is the very reason the AR-10, and subsequent M16 was developed.
                                Every Marine I knew who used both the 14 and 16, and in combat, prefered the 14. The 14's problem was that it was heavy and the rounds were larger so you couldn't carry as many. I never had a problem with accuracy in full auto, any more than any other auto...
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment