Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump lies and false news breaks all records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I recognize the deep hatred most on the right had for Ms. Clinton. It's the primary reason I thought she was a mistake as a candidate. From my perspective, the hatred for her was the primary reason we have a buffoon like Trump in the White House. As for Mr. Trump - he is indeed continuing to push forward with his campaign promises. I hope he continues to do exactly that. Ironically, Trump is doing to those who are NOT part of his base exactly what the left did for so long to those who ARE part of his base: ignoring and villifying them. As long as he keeps doing exactly that, his approval rating will stay low, which will increase the probability of a wave election in 2018, and a new president in 2020. Trump seems to forget that he won by less than 100,000 votes in three states. His choices/actions are firing up the left and moderates to oppose him, which we've seen in every election since Nov. 8, 2016. Meanwhile, some of his moderate support is getting lukewarm on him due to his behavior. In general, only his core base remains fired up about him. I suspect he will find it is not enough.
    Would you say that you have a "deep hatred" for Trump?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      That's a good question. If I'm honest, I have to say my dislike of Trump borders on, and maybe crosses over, into hatred. He is a vile man on so many fronts. Even the few things he is doing I agree with he does so badly, it is continually hard to find something positive to say about him. He is a master of media - that much is true.

He is also putting the final nails in the coffin of "American Exceptionalism." Yes, we will continue to view ourselves as somehow "superior." But we're not - and what was left of the world that still saw us as exceptional is now pretty close to dismissing us completely. The new emerging world leaders will be China, and possibly Russia. It is possible that the next president will restore a degree of American dignity. But it will take years to undo the damage this man is doing to our institutions and even our populace. He's not a leader. He's a follower of the next opinion expressed about him by those who support him. Instead of seeking to unify, he divides with vitriol.

When he was elected, I asked my wife if she would consider selling our home, pulling up stakes and starting our life of international travel that I would like to be the center of my retirement years, perhaps relocating our base to Australia where we have friends and a few ties. She wasn't ready for that. But when this next election cycle comes around, all of our kids will be out of high school by several years. If, beyond imagination, Trump should win a second term, I will probably make that move - and there is a good chance I will seek to acquire citizenship in Australia. This country is not what it once was, and shows little sign of returning to any of what it once was.

On the other hand, I'm tired, just got a bit of bad news, and I'm not in the most positive frame of mind right now. Ask me again tomorrow...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

This is a fairly regular dynamic of the "new reality." Language is subject to interpretation, and very malleable. Trump is a mastet at making a statement, and then finding a way to walk it back partially by giving it a nuanced interpretation and claiming that's what he meant all along. He's a master at it.

Unfortunately, that means he is setting an example that is likely to live long in our social and political system.

America once was great. Now we're just Trumpish. Sad....
        I forgot to add that tRump previously signed a paper summarizing the economic trade balances by country. The trade balances included services in the totals and indicated we had a trade surplus with Canada. I guess he did not remember, or . . . was totally clueless as to what he signs.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I pretty much favored anyone else running on the GOP side other than Trump
          It's like a friend of mine who, when asked who his favorite NFL team is, replies "whoever beats Dallas".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I recognize the deep hatred most on the right had for Ms. Clinton.
            I actually don't have any hatred for her at all. I just believe she's evil.

It's the primary reason I thought she was a mistake as a candidate. From my perspective, the hatred for her was the primary reason we have a buffoon like Trump in the White House.
            And that could be true - I think it shows how "out of touch" the Democratic biggies are.

As for Mr. Trump - he is indeed continuing to push forward with his campaign promises. I hope he continues to do exactly that. Ironically, Trump is doing to those who are NOT part of his base exactly what the left did for so long to those who ARE part of his base: ignoring and villifying them. As long as he keeps doing exactly that, his approval rating will stay low, which will increase the probability of a wave election in 2018, and a new president in 2020. Trump seems to forget that he won by less than 100,000 votes in three states. His choices/actions are firing up the left and moderates to oppose him, which we've seen in every election since Nov. 8, 2016. Meanwhile, some of his moderate support is getting lukewarm on him due to his behavior. In general, only his core base remains fired up about him. I suspect he will find it is not enough.
            Entirely possible, but even 6 months is an eternity in politics. Way too early to see at this point, not even knowing who, among the Democrats, will emerge as a front runner for them.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I feel a "deep shame" that Donald tRump is elected to be president. He is not even in the radar of those I may have "deep hatred."

Comment

Trump is a mastet at making a statement, and then finding a way to walk it back partially by giving it a nuanced interpretation and claiming that's what he meant all along. He's a master at it.
                Oh the irony in that post.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  I feel a "deep shame" that Donald tRump...
                  You are so juvenile. Does it make you feel better to purposely mangle a name?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    If he's going to do that, I think Donald T. Rump is better anyway.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

If he's going to do that, I think Donald T. Rump is better anyway.
                      There ya go! Much more mature!

Comment

I actually don't have any hatred for her at all. I just believe she's evil.
                        Oh the irony...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        And that could be true - I think it shows how "out of touch" the Democratic biggies are.
                        Yep...or at least they were. Perhaps they've learned. We'll see...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Entirely possible, but even 6 months is an eternity in politics. Way too early to see at this point, not even knowing who, among the Democrats, will emerge as a front runner for them.
                        We are 8 months away from house elections. Yes, it's possible the tide will turn - but it would take something very significant at this point. The energy on the left is not unlike the T-party energy on the right in 2010. Coupled with the Operation Red Map gerrymandering, an enormous wave election occurred. I expect to see something similar this fall, and that Gerrymandering might actually help the Democrats gain seats.

As for 2020 - it is unfathomable to me that Trump will be reelected. That being said - up until early 2016 I didn't think it was fathomable he would be elected even once. We shall see...
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Oh the irony in that post.

Yes - I'm aware you see me in those terms, Sparko. Apparently, you're not the only one here that does.

Speaking of which - I have'nt seen Adrift in a while. Hope he's OK.

Comment

I agree! I'm with Cow Poo on this one - what a juvenile thing to do!

Comment

Oh the irony...
                              Do tell.

Yep...or at least they were. Perhaps they've learned. We'll see...
                              It appears the Dem biggies think they're not being progressive enough.... they want to drive even further left.

We are 8 months away from house elections. Yes, it's possible the tide will turn - but it would take something very significant at this point. The energy on the left is not unlike the T-party energy on the right in 2010. Coupled with the Operation Red Map gerrymandering, an enormous wave election occurred. I expect to see something similar this fall, and that Gerrymandering might actually help the Democrats gain seats.
                              It's not at all unusual for the party in power to lose seats in an off-year election. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

As for 2020 - it is unfathomable to me that Trump will be reelected. That being said - up until early 2016 I didn't think it was fathomable he would be elected even once. We shall see...
                              EGGzackly -- kinda like everybody took Trump literally instead of seriously.

Comment

If I'm honest, I have to say my dislike of Trump borders on, and maybe crosses over, into hatred.
                                Wow. As much as I dislike Hillary, Obama, and so on, I could never say that I hate them. Actually, I can't say that I hate anybody. Strongly dislike or disagree with, sure, but hate? I can't bring myself to that.

But then you describe Trump as "a vile man on so many fronts", which leads me to believe that what you really hate is the liberal caricature of Trump rather than the man himself:

I would also suggest you read his book if you want more insight into who he really is instead of allowing yourself to be led astray by the anti-Trump shills in the media.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                He is also putting the final nails in the coffin of "American Exceptionalism." Yes, we will continue to view ourselves as somehow "superior."
                                That's not what "American exceptionalism" means. The root is exception, not exceptional. At the time of America's founding, we were the exception to the status quo for governments, which was basically a monarchy with the citizens having limited or no rights. Our Founding Fathers flipped that concept on its head and placed the limits on government instead of the people.
                                Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-20-2018, 12:21 PM.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment