Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Intel votes to release FISA memo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Depends on how long they can tolerate cognitive dissonance, which for liberals can be a surprisingly long time.
    Thjat's because JimL and Tassy lack the 'cognitive' part altogether.

Comment

It's too long to summarize, but Forbes has an excellent article detailing the timeline of this whole scandal going all the way back to the FBI's potentially illegal but definitely deliberate mishandling of the Hillary email investigation and ending with the FBI lying to the courts in order to get warrants to spy on the Trump campaign. It's well worth reading.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasd.../#339bace87f34
      Interesting. Comey's first attempt to get a warrant from the FISA court failed (which almost never happens); wasn't until the second attempt, when the dossier was proffered, that he succeeded.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Two months before the presidential election, Lisa Page wrote to fellow FBI official Peter Strzok that she was working on a memo for then-FBI director James Comey because Obama 'wants to know everything we're doing.'

Obama had said five months earlier during a Fox News Channel interview that he could 'guarantee' he wouldn't interfere with that investigation.

'I do not talk to the attorney general about pending investigations. I do not talk to FBI directors about pending investigations. We have a strict line,' he said on April 10, 2016.

'I guarantee it. I guarantee that there is no political influence in any investigation conducted by the Justice Department or the FBI, not just in this case but in any case. Full stop. Period,' he said.'

source

Kinda like "you can keep your doctor, period"
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Interesting. Comey's first attempt to get a warrant from the FISA court failed (which almost never happens); wasn't until the second attempt, when the dossier was proffered, that he succeeded.
          Requests for a warrant from a FISA court are approved 99.97% of the time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Two months before the presidential election, Lisa Page wrote to fellow FBI official Peter Strzok that she was working on a memo for then-FBI director James Comey because Obama 'wants to know everything we're doing.'

Obama had said five months earlier during a Fox News Channel interview that he could 'guarantee' he wouldn't interfere with that investigation.

'I do not talk to the attorney general about pending investigations. I do not talk to FBI directors about pending investigations. We have a strict line,' he said on April 10, 2016.

'I guarantee it. I guarantee that there is no political influence in any investigation conducted by the Justice Department or the FBI, not just in this case but in any case. Full stop. Period,' he said.'

source

Kinda like "you can keep your doctor, period"
            You should post that in Shunya's Trump is a liar thread.

Comment

It has been known for a while that the first application failed. We just didn't know until recently how critical Steele's dossier was to pushing it through the second time.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It has been known for a while that the first application failed. We just didn't know until recently how critical Steele's dossier was to pushing it through the second time.
                We haven't seen the applications, so we don't know what other info might have been included. We have one person saying that the dossier is what did the trick, but they aren't on the FISA court.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We haven't seen the applications, so we don't know what other info might have been included. We have one person saying that the dossier is what did the trick, but they aren't on the FISA court.
                  Finally - a voice of reason...!
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    Finally - a voice of reason...!
                    I am discussing this with a coworker (lawyer) who's liberal (from London), who's being fairly reasonable in this mess. I can at least get a fairly accurate summation of the legal aspect of all this. That the sources were biased isn't really material from a legal standpoint, though assessed credibility is.
                    sigpic

Comment

I am discussing this with a coworker (lawyer) who's liberal (from London), who's being fairly reasonable in this mess. I can at least get a fairly accurate summation of the legal aspect of all this. That the sources were biased isn't really material from a legal standpoint, though assessed credibility is.
                      I'm a bit of a pessimist. I found the memo from Nunes to be largely political and to have cherry picked data and structured it to look at bad as possible, obscuring the gaping holes and assumptions. I expect the "rebuttal" (with two Ts ) memo from the Democrats to be essentially the same, from the other political pole.

I find myself seriously wanting to be in office (Congress), but my location in Vermont makes that unlikely. We have three congressional positions, and the incumbents are VERY popular here. This state is so blue that Smurfs come here to die. Somehow, I don't think I have much of a shot at President. This country is not yet ready to elect an atheist to THAT office.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Isn't that for the judge to decide? The fact that the FBI deliberately hid some things from the court and lied about other things is certainly legally questionable.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          Finally - a voice of reason...! someone I agree with..!

Comment

• Source: Fake News Flashback: CNN Declared Trump �Bonkers� for Saying Clinton, Dems Behind Dossier

[I]
                            In the months since that tweet, everything Trump suggested has been proven correct.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journal...ehind-dossier/

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Isn't that for the judge to decide? The fact that the FBI deliberately hid some things from the court and lied about other things is certainly legally questionable.
                              It's well established law that biased sources, even if the bias is not revealed, do not invalidate a warrant. What did they lie about?
                              sigpic

Comment

It's well established law that biased sources, even if the bias is not revealed, do not invalidate a warrant. What did they lie about?
                                Strange, the Forbes article I posted earlier appears to be offline. At any rate, that article mentioned how Steele leaked information to the press, and then the FBI deceptively presented that leaked information to the court as independent corroboration of the memo. At no point did the FBI admit that the information was unverified, and that they were banking entirely on Steele's reputation. In that case, Steele's extreme bias against Trump would seem to be extremely relevant. But again, isn't that for the judge to decide? What business did the FBI have concealing anything from the court?

Comment