Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

DACA and Dreamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DACA and Dreamers

Wow - I have to admit I was not expecting Trump to put a path to staying in the U.S. for 1.8 milliion dreamers on the table. I haven't dug into this, but I have to wonder how the right feels about this. It's more than twice the size of the original DACA pool. He originally said no citizenship and no amnesty (how do you give amnesty to people who didn't do anything wrong?), and now is saying citizenship is possible.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...illegally.html

At first glance, my impression is, a) likely to appease moderates and the left to some degree; likely to tick off parts of his base. But it's in trade for the Wall, so maybe mitigate both?
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-25-2018, 05:32 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

if all he's getting is the wall it's a ripoff
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      Apparently also ending "chain immigration" and the so-called "visa lottery."
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Apparently also ending "chain immigration" and the so-called "visa lottery."
        the most important is something like e-verify and serious punishments for companies who hire illegal immigrants. otherwise it won't stop. but corporate greed is why neither side really wants to end it in the first place so...
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Wow - I have to admit I was not expecting Trump to put a path to staying in the U.S. for 1.8 milliion dreamers on the table. I haven't dug into this, but I have to wonder how the right feels about this. It's more than twice the size of the original DACA pool. He originally said no citizenship and no amnesty (how do you give amnesty to people who didn't do anything wrong?), and now is saying citizenship is possible.

At first glance, my impression is, a) likely to appease moderates and the left to some degree; likely to tick off parts of his base. But it's in trade for the Wall, so maybe mitigate both?
          I don't think we'll know until we know.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It may be that he is talking out of turn once again and needs to be reigned back in. Last week he was going to sign whatever Congress brought to him concerning DACA, until he wasn't. Today he said he would speak to Mueller under oath, that he couldn't wait, then his atty Mr Dowd came out and said to ignore that, that he, not Trump, will decide if Trump speaks to Mueller. Trump has flat out lied, what is it, about 3000 times and counting since his election. Don't take anything that he says seriously!

Comment

It's all part of the negotiation process. Nothing is set in stone until the deal is done.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Hey, if he gets the $25 billion he wants for his wall, guess who's paying for it? I'll give you a hint. It ain't Mexico!
                Last edited by JimL; 01-25-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                  Today he said he would speak to Mueller under oath, that he couldn't wait, then his atty Mr Dowd came out and said to ignore that, that he, not Trump, will decide if Trump speaks to Mueller. Trump has flat out lied...
                  Fake news, Jimmy. Trump didn't waffle. He said from the beginning that he was willing but that it was ultimately up to his attorneys.

----------

(NPR) In an impromptu meeting with reporters, Trump said he is "looking forward" to talking with Mueller. "I would love to do it," he said, going on to say he "would do it under oath." Trump added he would take his lawyers' advice.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/58050...ler-under-oath

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Fake news, Jimmy. Trump didn't waffle. He said from the beginning that he was willing but that it was ultimately up to his attorneys.

----------

(NPR) In an impromptu meeting with reporters, Trump said he is "looking forward" to talking with Mueller. "I would love to do it," he said, going on to say he "would do it under oath." Trump added he would take his lawyers' advice.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/58050...ler-under-oath
                    Yes, I know, I heard him contradict himself as he was running out the door. Point is, don't take anything the con man says seriously, he's a con man and will lie about anything to anyone at anytime if he thinks it serves his purpose at that time.
                    Last edited by JimL; 01-25-2018, 06:23 PM.

Comment

It's not straight-up amnesty. According to one trustworthy news source ():

"The path to citizenship would require a 10-12 year period where recipients would be required to demonstrate good behavior, work and education requirements, and good moral character."
                      http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-visa-lottery/

So it sounds like any "dreamer" who wants to become a citizen will have to work their butts off for a decade to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                        Yes, I know, I heard him contradict himself as he was running out the door. Point is, don't take anything the con man says seriously, he's a con man and will lie about anything to anyone at anytime if he thinks it serves his purpose at that time.
                        How is saying "I'm willing to do it subject to approval from my lawyers" a contradiction?

Comment

"The path to citizenship would require a 10-12 year period where recipients would be required to demonstrate good behavior, work and education requirements, and good moral character."

So it sounds like any "dreamer" who wants to become a citizen will have to work their butts off for a decade to earn it.
                          nothing in there about actually supporting american principles like free speech (very important since most immigrants don't)

Comment

Prediction: If the bolded part is agreed to and passed you'll see several jurisdictions refuse to prosecute "dreamers" charged with anything less than Class A felonies since that would subject them to deportation if convicted. They will in effect be above most laws and might as well change their last name to Clinton.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

FYI: coming into the country as a minor at the volition of others is not the crime - stay8ing once they were of age to act under their own volition is. Amnesty is for remaining illegally.

Most people feel sorry for them and are willing to work out something. But they aren't willing to make it an immigration loophole where parents are encouraged to bring their minor children in hopes that they will become citizens at majority and be able to sponsor other family members. Most of the push back came from the way the Dems used their power in office. Which was dumb - they keep thinking of themselves as the permanent majority party and those days are over.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment